Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

AWD vs. RWD on a GT?

Reactions
City
Wake Forest
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2 (CERSIL/RWD)
Hey everyone... I am struggling a little bit to decide between AWD and RWD. I drive a GT1 in RWD but haven't been able to get my hands on GT1/2 in AWD to test drive. The "kid" in me wants the RWD and the more responsible "parent" in me wants the AWD. I'm looking for input, knowledge and/or experience driving both. Is one faster? More fun? etc... Any input is welcome.

Thanks!

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
RWD will be more fun in the turns and is a little lighter. AWD will get you off the line faster and coming out of a turn, especially when the roads are wet or snowy/icy. AWD weighs about 170 pounds more and in reviews it tends to understeer slightly more than the rwd version. Me personally, if I was getting the 2.0T, I'd get that with rwd to keep it light and nimble. If I was going to "track" the car then I'd get the 2.0 and 3.3 in rwd. If I wanted to drift the car I'd get rwd. I don't plan on drifting or going on a track, also, it will be my only car and I plan on driving it in the rain and snow since I live in the northeast so I plan on getting the 3.3TT with AWD. AWD will also cost about another $2200 so there's that to consider too. It's important to note also that the awd car isn't awd all the time. It dumps power to the front wheels when needed up to 50% but that depends on what driving mode you're in.

Habu968

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Given where you live, and snow not being all that common, I would go for the rwd vs the awd. Just a thought.....

But that being said, I drive a golf r and the awd is pretty good in all weather conditions, even rain, so there is that as well.........

So in reality, I did nothing to help:). I still am looking to drive one period.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Unfortunately, both my current rides are RWD ('05 Pontiac GTO and '08 Pontiac G8 GT) which are nearly worthless in the winter with their big, wide tires, so AWD on my GT1 is one reason I went that way. Depends on where you live. From what I've seen, unless you really want to thrash the car on a track, the difference is negligible except for the cost.

CptNut

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
Given where you live, and snow not being all that common, I would go for the rwd vs the awd. Just a thought.....
I'm with Habu968. If it doesn't snow very often where you live, I wouldn't spend the extra money for the AWD... UNLESS, you plan on doing every possible mod and are REALLY into getting the lowest 60 ft time at the drag strip. 2 of my previous vehicles were an 05 Subaru STI (AWD) and an 02 BMW 330Ci (RWD). The STI was lots of fun in a straight line but when it came to auto-x or having fun around the corners, the 330Ci was a pure dream!!! Since snow is a once or twice a decade event for us, I'm always going RWD over AWD if I have an option.

Last edited:

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I'm with Habu968. If it doesn't snow very often where you live, I wouldn't spend the extra money for the AWD... UNLESS, you plan on doing some every possible mod and are REALLY into getting the lowest 60 ft time at the drag strip. 2 of my previous vehicles were an 05 Subaru STI (AWD) and an 02 BMW 330Ci (RWD). The STI was lots of fun in a straight line but when it came to auto-x or having fun around the corners, the 330Ci was a pure dream!!! Since snow is a once or twice a decade event for us, I'm always going RWD over AWD if I have an option.
^This guy gets it[thumb]

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
For me it's just preference, I prefer RWD because that's what I grew up with. I've never had an AWD car or a four wheel drive truck but if I lived where it snowed a lot I would probably get a AWD car. It all comes down to your preference mjsteelega, what do you prefer.

I wanted a lighter car too.

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
Given where you live save 2000 and 200lbs get RWD

Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
Yup I concur
I live near philly and it’s a very hilly area ( manayunk ) rwd would not have survived the snow there are cars stuck
On the streets all the time on slopes
This thing breezes through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk