Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Share your Kia Stinger phone mounts

OP
ATXStinger

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #21
Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
I usually get my mounts from ProclipUSA that are both made for your vehicle and device so you get the perfect fit. I've contacted them and got this response:

Thank you for contacting us with your interest in our ProClip products. At this time we do not have a ProClip vehicle mount for the new Kia Stinger. The good news is the vehicle has finally arrived at our local dealership so we should be able to get out to look over the car to see what types of mounts can be designed for it soon. We have it on our schedule to get out to take a look this week but it looks like the winter weather forecast will be changing our plans with freezing rain and snow. We are hoping next week will bring some more favorable conditions. At this time, we anticipate the mounts to become available within the next 4-6 weeks. Once we have the mounts available, you will receive a separate email notification letting you know the mounts can be ordered.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
With the 8" display, there is dead space due to the (for some reason) trapezoidal shape of the housing of the screen. That's a lot of dead space and it digs into the space (a soft clip of some kind?) on the side of the screen where a suction cup or some-such mount could go. Also, I've seen some clips that wrap around the dash lip above the gauges. There is a small lip like that to the side of the screen which might be leveraged for a properly designed clip. Those are just my thoughts so far.

I have a Pixel2XL in a Spigen case. I basically shove it down, upright, in the front cupholder a bit. It's held it fairly well. But, again, I'm not able to drive the way I want yet due to the arctic blast that still doesn't seem to want to go away.

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
I thought about a wireless charging pad, however....I figured what's the point when I have to plug in the USB to get Android Auto?

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
There is a neat magnetic mount made by Volport. It is magnetic on the phone side, and the back side is a firm rubber with slots to press-fit into a vertical or horizontal vent fin. My wife found it on Amazon.

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD Aurora Black
I'd really like a suction cup mount (for the little flat area next to the infotainment screen) but with a slide-in holder like a Proclip...

premraj

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Singapore
I usually get my mounts from ProclipUSA that are both made for your vehicle and device so you get the perfect fit. I've contacted them and got this response:

Thank you for contacting us with your interest in our ProClip products. At this time we do not have a ProClip vehicle mount for the new Kia Stinger. The good news is the vehicle has finally arrived at our local dealership so we should be able to get out to look over the car to see what types of mounts can be designed for it soon. We have it on our schedule to get out to take a look this week but it looks like the winter weather forecast will be changing our plans with freezing rain and snow. We are hoping next week will bring some more favorable conditions. At this time, we anticipate the mounts to become available within the next 4-6 weeks. Once we have the mounts available, you will receive a separate email notification letting you know the mounts can be ordered.
I swear by ProclipUSA and have one installed in my current car (Jaguar XE). Was looking to get one for my Stinger before I take delivery. Exact same reply I got from them a couple of weeks ago. :(

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Figured we should start a thread to share phone mount ideas.

Been researching and think this is the one I'm going to get. Basically its a wireless charging mount that can support both Apple and Android phones.

[video=youtube;GwLAgbPvpFk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwLAgbPvpFk[/video]

iOttie Easy One Touch Qi Wireless Fast Charge Car Mount

https://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Wireless-Samsung-Standard-Enabled/dp/B0754NDNT8
I went with this one and am happy so far. I let the pad sit on the dash for 2 days (40 degree highs), parking it in the sun a couple of times for a few hours. I then assembled the rest. One or two days later it fell off the pad. LOL But then I mounted it again (apparently correctly this time) and it's been on for 2-3 weeks now with no issues, about 3,000 miles (road trip to NC mountains!). I wish the arm would extend just a bit more in order to clear the cowl over the gauges. When I turn the adapter into "landscape" mode, I have the charging cable sticking out the bottom which ends up being on the right side. The charging cable then runs over the edge of the left side of the display pane. It's really not an issue - and certainly none at all if you keep the phone in "portrait" mode with the charging cable at the bottom.

While it may not be 100% perfect, I think it's the best option for now and am happy that it's a one-hand-on/one-hand-off mount that positions well and is closer to my touch than the nav screen.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
[MENTION=328]Kazz[/MENTION] does it charge fairly quick?

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
I went with this one and am happy so far. I let the pad sit on the dash...
Did you mount the suction/sticky/grippy disc in the flat nook to the left of the nav screen, or is it on top of the actual dashboard?

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
[MENTION=328]Kazz[/MENTION] does it charge fairly quick?
I'm sorry, I'm not using the wireless charging model. I use a cable. Sorry if that confused anyone.

Did you mount the suction/sticky/grippy disc in the flat nook to the left of the nav screen, or is it on top of the actual dashboard?
There's not enough room right next to the screen with the larger display in my USDM GT2. I mounted it atop the dash, between the display screen and the beginning of the cowl over the gauges.

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
I went with this one and am happy so far. I let the pad sit on the dash for 2 days (40 degree highs), parking it in the sun a couple of times for a few hours. I then assembled the rest. One or two days later it fell off the pad. LOL But then I mounted it again (apparently correctly this time) and it's been on for 2-3 weeks now with no issues, about 3,000 miles (road trip to NC mountains!). I wish the arm would extend just a bit more in order to clear the cowl over the gauges. When I turn the adapter into "landscape" mode, I have the charging cable sticking out the bottom which ends up being on the right side. The charging cable then runs over the edge of the left side of the display pane. It's really not an issue - and certainly none at all if you keep the phone in "portrait" mode with the charging cable at the bottom.

While it may not be 100% perfect, I think it's the best option for now and am happy that it's a one-hand-on/one-hand-off mount that positions well and is closer to my touch than the nav screen.
Can I please see a close-up picture of where you mount it?

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
I played around today with my radar detector mount after seeing this thread yesterday. It seems like there is enough space for a mount next to the screen on the dash even with the larger ?trapezoidal? screen. I had to finagle it a bit but here?s what I got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
That doesn't look fully seated?

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Silver Kia Stinger GT
I played around today with my radar detector mount after seeing this thread yesterday. It seems like there is enough space for a mount next to the screen on the dash even with the larger ?trapezoidal? screen. I had to finagle it a bit but here's what I got.

Is there enough clearance on the dash to have the phone facing more vertically?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
[MENTION=328]Kazz[/MENTION] it was strange as it was and wasn?t. The little flap you see didn?t lay flat, but the lever in the back seemed to pull suction as if enough rim surface was intact, however since I couldn?t mount the phone and stress test it I can?t be sure. I was glad it fit, as now I can look for more specific hardware knowing there is space. Read below too.
[MENTION=679]freefloyd[/MENTION] being as that mount is for my radar detector, it was actually upside down. It?s meant to hang from the window so it tilts very much the other direction. The lever in the back was the only thing that was preventing this from seating perfect. When the lever was down, it sealed it fit perfectly, but when the lever was up(how you have to start) it hit the back of the dash. Something the size of a standard radar window mount, but with different mechanics. I mainly saw a few of you mention all the pictures were with the smaller touch screen, so I wanted to share what I got when I started fishing around.