Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Warning - Warpage when Ceramic Coating

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thought I would give you guys a heads up. Took my car to apply Ceramic Pro, the car came out very nice, however by the rear wing we noticed a couple of dents and we couldn't figure out how it happened. We took it to a Dent Doctor and they were not able to get the dent out as it would always go right back, effectively it didn't react like sheet metal or aluminium would, after sometime we figured out that the material is not metal or aluminium, it is actually some sort of plastic and when they applied the UV light it warped.

Now the whole part has to be replaced which we already ordered. I hope you guys don't face the same issue, make sure to inform them its plastic before applying the ceramic coating to reduce the UV light to minimum.

Attachments

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Wait, the trunk hatch is some kind of plastic?

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #3

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Wow sorry this happened to you. Is it just the heat from the UV light that was warping the trunk lid?

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #5
Wow sorry this happened to you. Is it just the heat from the UV light that was warping the trunk lid?
That is the best assumption we reached to figure out how this happened.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Bummer I would be so upset if that happened to me. I hope the shop is covering the expense through their insurance.

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #7
Bummer I would be so upset if that happened to me. I hope the shop is covering the expense through their insurance.
Definitely a bummer, we had to take it to three dent shops to figure out what was wrong and that the material isn't metal, but luckily the shop is covering the expenses for the repair with the KIA dealer.

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
Ouch! Thanks for the headsup.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Sorry, but they use those lights all over the car, don't they? But it doesn't warp other plastic areas? I'd say something's a bit screwy.

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #10
Sorry, but they use those lights all over the car, don't they? But it doesn't warp other plastic areas? I'd say something's a bit screwy.
They have different settings for the light, if they know it is fiberglass or plastic (Ex bumpers etc) they will adjust it accordingly. The issue is they treated it like it was metal and this is the result.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
I didn't realize that. I'm meeting my detailer tomorrow to discuss paint protection. I'll have to talk with him about it. Good heads up!

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Wow...first time I've seen that happen with a ceramic coating on a plastic surface.

I am a car detailer, I've been detailing cars for 6 years and have been around the ceramic coating technology for a good while. I have never seen a coating cause such a reaction with a plastic surface before. I have applied ceramic coatings countless times on bumpers and exterior trims and using IR lamps to cure the coatings without ever having the surface warp that way.

The only way a plastic surface will warp like that is due to excessive heat. The IR lamps that are used to cure these coatings have a programable heat cycle, if this is not set correctly or if the lamp is left for an extended period of time (should there be no cycle adjustment on the lamp), it will heat up the plastic surface to the point of melting it.

Another point I would like to touch on is that this is not a coating issue as the coating is applied directly to the paint. If there is some sort of chemical reaction (extremely unlikely to happen if the surface has been prepared correctly), the damage will be reflected on the paint and not the plastic or metal where it has been applied.

Glad to see that shop is covering the repair costs. Keep us posted.

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #13
Wow...first time I've seen that happen with a ceramic coating on a plastic surface.

I am a car detailer, I've been detailing cars for 6 years and have been around the ceramic coating technology for a good while. I have never seen a coating cause such a reaction with a plastic surface before. I have applied ceramic coatings countless times on bumpers and exterior trims and using IR lamps to cure the coatings without ever having the surface warp that way.

The only way a plastic surface will warp like that is due to excessive heat. The IR lamps that are used to cure these coatings have a programable heat cycle, if this is not set correctly or if the lamp is left for an extended period of time (should there be no cycle adjustment on the lamp), it will heat up the plastic surface to the point of melting it.

Another point I would like to touch on is that this is not a coating issue as the coating is applied directly to the paint. If there is some sort of chemical reaction (extremely unlikely to happen if the surface has been prepared correctly), the damage will be reflected on the paint and not the plastic or metal where it has been applied.

Glad to see that shop is covering the repair costs. Keep us posted.
After replacing the damaged parts, the detailer has to do the coating again. According to them they have raised this issue with Ceramic Pro to get feedback on how to move forward. Will definitely keep you guys posted.

Art9681

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT2
I would be interested in knowing what the dealer recommends. Please share the results of your meeting.

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
I got my red GT2 coated with ceramicpro silver package on the 13th of Dec. I haven't had this issue. Mine was the first to be registered in the US. Seeing that your plates were in Bahrain has me drooling for that frothy lemon tea you guys have there.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
My detailer's protection doesn't use UV. I hope to have more details shortly.

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #17
I got my red GT2 coated with ceramicpro silver package on the 13th of Dec. I haven't had this issue. Mine was the first to be registered in the US. Seeing that your plates were in Bahrain has me drooling for that frothy lemon tea you guys have there.
[tongue] gonna go have one right now [cool]

Reactions
State
SC
Country
United States
I envy you...no joke, I did room orders while I was staying in the Marriott executive apartments my last time there just for the tea! lol The ones at Coco's aren't bad either. You wouldn't by chance know how to make a spicy chicken shawarma? lol

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #19
I envy you...no joke, I did room orders while I was staying in the Marriott executive apartments my last time there just for the tea! lol The ones at Coco's aren't bad either. You wouldn't by chance know how to make a spicy chicken shawarma? lol
I just had some chicken shawarma with tobasco yesterday, was awesome. Let me know the next time you are here, will take you to some local spots for shawarma and tea [cheers]

Habu968

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
That is very odd, interested to see how this turns out.......