Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Warning - Warpage when Ceramic Coating

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #21
Update, received the replacement part and it felt and looked like some sort of hard plastic and quite light.

Taking it to the body shop next week, decided to de-badge the rear of the car while I am at it.

Attachments

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
[MENTION=46]STINGER[/MENTION] would you mind posting some pictures on how that piece detaches and attaches to the tailgate?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
This further reinforces my theory of too much heat applied when curing the ceramic coating.

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #24
This further reinforces my theory of too much heat applied when curing the ceramic coating.
99% that is the reason.

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #25
[MENTION=46]STINGER[/MENTION] would you mind posting some pictures on how that piece detaches and attaches to the tailgate?
Passed by the body shop, here are some pics.

Attachments

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
Thanks [MENTION=46]STINGER[/MENTION], its kind of nice how that upper piece detaches from the hatch.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I thought of this post yesterday when I filled the car (again). The fuel filler cap cover has to be plastic based on how it feels. I would take a closer look at it. If it's not warped, it lends credence to the idea that someone just had the lamps turned up way too high for the rear of the car. Again, I'm glad they're taking care of this for you!

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #28
On a separate note, I am removing the front KIA batch and blocking the number plate holes, hopefully will give the car a cleaner look.

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
More of a general question about ceramic coating...if you DO get a dent in a door or something, is it still something Dent Doctor (or whoever else) can repair easily? Or does the coating interfere?

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
More of a general question about ceramic coating...if you DO get a dent in a door or something, is it still something Dent Doctor (or whoever else) can repair easily? Or does the coating interfere?
PDR shouldn't affect the paint or ceramic coating as it's usually performed from behind the paint.