Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Nice little helpful touch

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
So after 295 miles, I have about 20 miles of range left. I looked over and saw this on the nav screen:

Attachments

Reactions
City
Wake Forest
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2 (CERSIL/RWD)
I?m so jealous. I haven?t been able to get any answers from any dealers as to the availability of a Snow White Pearl GT2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
I like that the nav also displays the speed limit sign.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
That is a nice touch. What?s your mpg average so far?

OP
TurboTx

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Thread Starter #5
I?m so jealous. I haven?t been able to get any answers from any dealers as to the availability of a Snow White Pearl GT2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hang in there; the GT2 is up to 4 colors now, so, white and silky silver should be in the next batch. Fingers crossed....

That is a nice touch. What?s your mpg average so far?
Not great so far; 19.9 mpg, in mixed highway/city driving. BUT, I have done lots of idling, while figuring things out and showing it to different people. I'm going to fill up with premium (dealer used regular) and see if it makes a difference.

I like that the nav also displays the speed limit sign.
You can also set it to show in the HUD. It's pretty smart too, it even changes the sign shape when you enter a school zone.

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
You can also set it to show in the HUD. It's pretty smart too, it even changes the sign shape when you enter a school zone.
Do we know where it gets that information? Is it a static database on the maps SD card, or does it read the signs dynamically?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
As far as I know (and according to the documents available in Germany) it does read the signs with the same camera behind the rearview mirror that is used for the active lane assist. The german brochure also indicates that the system is limited to speed limit and no passing signs.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Not great so far; 19.9 mpg, in mixed highway/city driving. BUT, I have done lots of idling, while figuring things out and showing it to different people. I'm going to fill up with premium (dealer used regular) and see if it makes a difference.
So it's confirmed the 3.3 can use regular gas (without affecting warranty. )

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
As far as I know (and according to the documents available in Germany) it does read the signs with the same camera behind the rearview mirror that is used for the active lane assist. The german brochure also indicates that the system is limited to speed limit and no passing signs.
Now, I don't know everything about this car but I have taken mechanics tests in training and I don't believe that the car has the ability to read street signs. I believe that the info is coming from the navigation SD card. The car will report the speed limit even when no signs are present.

Yes, both cars can run regular unleaded. The premium is just to stpp the ECU from pulling timing back to prevent detonation.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
Now, I don't know everything about this car but I have taken mechanics tests in training and I don't believe that the car has the ability to read street signs. I believe that the info is coming from the navigation SD card. The car will report the speed limit even when no signs are present.
Here?s a screenshot from the official brochure:
224A7597-44B4-495D-852C-CC9E26CD53C6.jpeg

Maybe it?s a combination of both?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's

Here?s a screenshot from the official brochure:
View attachment 256

Maybe it?s a combination of both?
I'll tell you what. Tomorrow I'll cover the camera and take the car out for a rest run. LOL

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Okay. So I completely covered the cameras and took the car out for a drive. The system still displayed the speed limits as normal.

I also spent about 20 minutes reading through all of the user manuals and they actually don't refer to the car displaying the speed limit at ALL in the manuals. LOL

OP
TurboTx

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Thread Starter #13
Okay. So I completely covered the cameras and took the car out for a drive. The system still displayed the speed limits as normal.

I also spent about 20 minutes reading through all of the user manuals and they actually don't refer to the car displaying the speed limit at ALL in the manuals. LOL
I did the same thing this morning (holy crap there are SO many manuals..lol). I would assume the speed limit info is GPS based. Either way, it's fairly accurate from what I've seen.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
New Zealand
What I Drive
2013 Kia Optima LTD
On my test drive we were given an audio prompt " Road Narrows ", and sure enough there was a sign to that effect coming up. I still don't know whether it read the sign or sourced the info from the SD Card

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
Thanks for checking this. Meanwhile I tried to find information about this camera based system on the US site. And it was neither mentioned there nor in the brochures for US/Canada. So maybe the system in the US is in fact based on SD card data and in Europe it?s based on the camera. For whatever reason.

On the other hand you do get the UVO app and the ambient lighting - both are unavailable in Europe.

Last edited:

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Mine came on yesterday. I'm sitting at 7 miles left - changed to ECO mode. LOL

Hope I make it today!

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Mine came on yesterday. I'm sitting at 7 miles left - changed to ECO mode. LOL

Hope I make it today!
Your what came on yesterday? LMBO

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Your what came on yesterday? LMBO

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
The top post of this thread! LOL I got the yer-outta-fuel-lemme-help-you-find-a-gas-station splash message!

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
LMBO

Ooooohhhhhhhhh...... Shut her off at red lights!

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Filled her up with 14.687 gallons of 93 octane. I think it may have woken her up just a bit. But, butt-dyno.