Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Tips for checking tire pressure

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
VW Golf
Here are some good tips for checking the tire pressure on the Kia Stinger
  • Check tire pressure when the tires have been cooled to the ambient temperature, typically after sitting parked for 3 hours or more. Why? Pressure in tires goes up as the tires warm up in normal service.
  • Set air pressure based on the tire information placard, typically found on the driver's doorjamb, and not to the maximum pressure indicated on the tire's sidewall.
  • Check the inflation pressure of your spare tire.
  • Remember that a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) isn't a maintenance reminder, but a system to alert you that one or more tires is significantly low on air pressure and needs immediate attention. Just because the TPMS warning light isn't illuminated, don't assume your tire pressure has been set correctly.
  • Store the tire pressure gauge in a secure, clean, accessible spot. Dirt and grime can affect the scale slide on a stick gauge, and battery life is a concern for digital gauges. Keep a tire pressure gauge in the glove compartment of every car you own.

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Mazda6 Touring ? Soul Red
Does TPMS just show up at random, when it notices a difference of 2lbs or so and alerts the driver? Or is there a way to access it via the menu system (because I sure can't find it!!!). I really want to be able to just check what the tire pressure is at when I want. I've seen it displayed on my screen at times, but can't recall if it's at startup only or when... Hmmm... and frustrated... Even broke out the manual! Ack!...

NOTE: GT w/AWD + DriveWise

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Does TPMS just show up at random, when it notices a difference of 2lbs or so and alerts the driver? Or is there a way to access it via the menu system (because I sure can't find it!!!). I really want to be able to just check what the tire pressure is at when I want. I've seen it displayed on my screen at times, but can't recall if it's at startup only or when... Hmmm... and frustrated... Even broke out the manual! Ack!...

NOTE: GT w/AWD + DriveWise
It IS in the driver assist screen in the dash.

On the steering wheel, use the controls with your right thumb to go to the 2nd of the three pages. Then use the up/down toggle under the page button to scroll through the different screens. You will find the TPMS screen there.

Enjoy!

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
It IS in the driver assist screen in the dash.

On the steering wheel, use the controls with your right thumb to go to the 2nd of the three pages. Then use the up/down toggle under the page button to scroll through the different screens. You will find the TPMS screen there.

Enjoy!
Thanks MurlinatorR! I thought I had exhausted that menu, as when I initially move to the lane departure icon, it "seems" that's all that is there. But scrolling reveals more, such as tire pressure. Thanks! Little low on that front left! I'm getting fat! All 6'1" 190lbs of me!

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
NOW'S A GREAT TIME TO CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURES, INCLUDING YOUR SPARE!

You might be surprised at where the pressure may be in your tires if it's been a while!

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
NOW'S A GREAT TIME TO CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURES, INCLUDING YOUR SPARE!

You might be surprised at where the pressure may be in your tires if it's been a while!
Indeed. I went from Denver to Portland, and the pressure, once in portland was down quite a bit. I'm shocked by the 36/39psi for AWD front vs rear pressure. interesting...

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Indeed. I went from Denver to Portland, and the pressure, once in portland was down quite a bit. I'm shocked by the 36/39psi for AWD front vs rear pressure. interesting...
So [MENTION=477]MarkyMark[/MENTION], what is it that you find most interesting about the tire pressures?

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
So [MENTION=477]MarkyMark[/MENTION], what is it that you find most interesting about the tire pressures?
"Tire pressure is just cool man..." Sorry, I live in a state that smokes pot, so some of that must be floating my direction... Not to digress too much, but yes, DUI's have more than doubled in the sate since it became legal.

Okay, back to tire pressure. I've never had a car that has EQUAL pressures from front to rear tires. 35/35 or 32/32, etc... And NOTE: My car is an AWD, thus it comes with 18" rims with the exact same tires front to back, rather than the RWD which has larger tires in the rear (in width that is).

So it puzzles me why the pressure is more in the rear tires and not equal to the fonts when it's the same tire front and rear? Illuminate me if you can. I'm all ears.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
"Tire pressure is just cool man..." Sorry, I live in a state that smokes pot, so some of that must be floating my direction... Not to digress too much, but yes, DUI's have more than doubled in the sate since it became legal.

Okay, back to tire pressure. I've never had a car that has EQUAL pressures from front to rear tires. 35/35 or 32/32, etc... And NOTE: My car is an AWD, thus it comes with 18" rims with the exact same tires front to back, rather than the RWD which has larger tires in the rear (in width that is).

So it puzzles me why the pressure is more in the rear tires and not equal to the fonts when it's the same tire front and rear? Illuminate me if you can. I'm all ears.
Hahahaha gotcha.

So first, the AWD does come with the staggered 19" wheels as well. Mine is that way.

Now, why the front and rear have slightly different pressure ratings, that I don't know honestly. We can speculate that it's because of the rear drive bias.... *shrugs*

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
Hahahaha gotcha.

So first, the AWD does come with the staggered 19" wheels as well. Mine is that way.

Now, why the front and rear have slightly different pressure ratings, that I don't know honestly. We can speculate that it's because of the rear drive bias.... *shrugs*
Okay, so learning time for both of us (I hope!). Mine is also an AWD, but I'm guessing you do NOT have the DriveWise package, correct? Every AWD GT I have ever seen, I discovered that KIA Marketing (in their infinite wisdom) decided go All Season Bridgestone's and 18" rims if and when the GT has AWD WITH the DriveWise package. Ack!

So yes, I am stuck with 18's and all-seasons. Ugh... I hate that decision and it makes ZERO sense to me. What, because I wanted the tech, I drive like a grandma and want 18's and all-season? Stupid. But hey, it is what it is.

I'm guessing you have RWD and thus, yes you have the staggered and the 19's, which I really wanted - it just looks "right" with the entire design and size of wheel wells, etc...

Am I missing something or?...

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Okay, so learning time for both of us (I hope!). Mine is also an AWD, but I'm guessing you do NOT have the DriveWise package, correct? Every AWD GT I have ever seen, I discovered that KIA Marketing (in their infinite wisdom) decided go All Season Bridgestone's and 18" rims if and when the GT has AWD WITH the DriveWise package. Ack!

So yes, I am stuck with 18's and all-seasons. Ugh... I hate that decision and it makes ZERO sense to me. What, because I wanted the tech, I drive like a grandma and want 18's and all-season? Stupid. But hey, it is what it is.

I'm guessing you have RWD and thus, yes you have the staggered and the 19's, which I really wanted - it just looks "right" with the entire design and size of wheel wells, etc...

Am I missing something or?...
Correct. So Kia decided to offer a small handful of GT's with the ADAS Drive Wise package on the west coast. Every time you ADD the ADAS package, they throw on the 18". It's silly but what they did.

Mine is a GT AWD and it has the 19" staggered set.

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
Correct. So Kia decided to offer a small handful of GT's with the ADAS Drive Wise package on the west coast. Every time you ADD the ADAS package, they throw on the 18". It's silly but what they did.

Mine is a GT AWD and it has the 19" staggered set.
Wow, I would have loved to have found a GT AWD w/ADAS with 19's... Alas, I'm in Portland, OR and there was nothing up here. CA? Nope, 95% RWD only. I picked mine up in Denver and still it had the 18's... Ugh.

Did they change that for the 2019 model year? I doubt it. But I am glad I got the 2018, as the 2019 GT has a few of the safety package features, but it appears a GT no longer as the ADAS /Drive Wise package option, correct? If that's the case, which I think it is, loving I got the 2018 with all these goodies!

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Ok curious if anyone knows how to reset a false alert with tpsm? I was driving today and it alerted me and moved to the tpsm screen on dash right rear tire at 12 psi, then it went back to about 35 psi, pulled over and checked with a manual guage 35 psi. Got in it shows the same but tpsm warning light still on and tire flashing. How can you reset it?

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Ok curious if anyone knows how to reset a false alert with tpsm? I was driving today and it alerted me and moved to the tpsm screen on dash right rear tire at 12 psi, then it went back to about 35 psi, pulled over and checked with a manual guage 35 psi. Got in it shows the same but tpsm warning light still on and tire flashing. How can you reset it?
Yes my front driver was giving false alerts, turns out it was a bad TPMS sensor.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
It could be but this was the first time it did that and it immediately went back to normal. I was just hoping I could manually reset the sensor trip and go about my business. If it keeps tripping I would take it in to get it fixed but I may have to anyways if I can't reset the warning. I have to get my Tires rotated pretty soon anyways maybe I'll just make an appointment for that and see if they can deal with it at the dealership.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Update: So later that same day I drove for about 30 min on the Freeway and the pressure light reset and went out and has not come back on since. Still think there should be a way we can reset it without having to drive for a long period of time. So far so good no more false alerts.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Update: So later that same day I drove for about 30 min on the Freeway and the pressure light reset and went out and has not come back on since. Still think there should be a way we can reset it without having to drive for a long period of time. So far so good no more false alerts.
I agree and get a low tire pressure every winter. I just drive around for a bit and it goes away