Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Creaky Hatch

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
Hi All.

My hatch was creaking and it didn't settle down (break in) after a week. So I opened the hatch and there are two rubber feet on the underside of the hatch that have threaded adjustments. I turned each foot counterclockwise one full turn, and VOILA! No more hatch creaking. :)

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Hi All.

My hatch was creaking and it didn't settle down (break in) after a week. So I opened the hatch and there are two rubber feet on the underside of the hatch that have threaded adjustments. I turned each foot counterclockwise one full turn, and VOILA! No more hatch creaking. :)
LOL I'm surprised you waited a week. Way to go on taking matters in your own hand.

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
I always wait a few weeks with a brand new car before taking it back to the dealer. That way a few things pop up and one visit takes care of them. If you go back every time something pops up, you go nuts.

In this case, the creak was driving me nuts!

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
Have you noticed any wind or other interior rattling noises?

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
Zero. Quiet as a church I'm happy to report.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Hi All.

Thanks for sharing, question. Did it lift or lower the trunk lid at all? I know the halo lights are on both the trunk lid and rear quarters, if may cause alignment issues.

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #8
The alignment was not affected. I would expect the vertical location for the hatch is set by the closure mechanism. So now the closure mechanism pulls down harder to close the hatch than before. In doing that, it deforms the feet more to close, and that extra deformation results in a stiffer hatch closure.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
The alignment was not affected. I would expect the vertical location for the hatch is set by the closure mechanism. So now the closure mechanism pulls down harder to close the hatch than before. In doing that, it deforms the feet more to close, and that extra deformation results in a stiffer hatch closure.
Great, I was hoping there would be some way we could alleviate this from occurring at all. This is probably the only design flaw I see with this car, so far at least... Let's hope it stays that way when I'm able to take one for a drive.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Hi All.

I found the exact same thing with the first Stinger that I got for inventory.

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #11
If the creak comes back when it's cold., back out the feet some more. In Toronto here we had a cold snap of -10 C (about 24 F) and I had to do a turn and a half more before the hatch was solid all the time. That electric closure cinches it down really nicely (aka real good).

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I unscrewed mine about a half turn and it helped, but still happens at times. There's not a lot of thread left back there. I'm going to unscrew it another half, though. I also wonder if a real fix is with the stops that are in the side "rails". They're usually a harder material than the rubber stops, too.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Kia Optima SX, 1972 911 Targa
I went to turn mine another 90 deg turn (total 270 deg counterclockwise) because I noticed more creaking and discovered the bump stops had basically tightened back up (rotated almost 180 deg clockwise), either from driving or opening / shutting the hatch which happens often in my car.

Everyone, have you checked your bump stop adjustments after a week, etc. to see if they are holding their position?

KIA, I think you are going to have to address this issue with tighter tolerance bump stops at the very least...

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I went to turn mine another 90 deg turn (total 270 deg counterclockwise) because I noticed more creaking and discovered the bump stops had basically tightened back up (rotated almost 180 deg clockwise), either from driving or opening / shutting the hatch which happens often in my car.

Everyone, have you checked your bump stop adjustments after a week, etc. to see if they are holding their position?

KIA, I think you are going to have to address this issue with tighter tolerance bump stops at the very least...
They already put a service bulletin in place to take care of it. LOL

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Kia Optima SX, 1972 911 Targa
They already put a service bulletin in place to take care of it. LOL
I think you need to get your facts straight here. There is a TSB but it is for only very early VIN Stingers. My Stinger (purchased 12/31, received in the Port of Tacoma days earlier) does not qualify for the TSB fix. That is why I'm stating KIA should do something across the board for all Stingers.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I think you need to get your facts straight here. There is a TSB but it is for only very early VIN Stingers. My Stinger (purchased 12/31, received in the Port of Tacoma days earlier) does not qualify for the TSB fix. That is why I'm stating KIA should do something across the board for all Stingers.
Have you tried calling another dealer and letting them know you have a rattling hatch and there?s a TSB out?