Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

What oil type is going in your Kia Stinger? Synthetic, Synthetic Blend or Regular Oil?

What oil type is going in your Kia Stinger? Synthetic, Synthetic Blend or Regular Oil?

• Regular Oil

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Synthetic Blend Oil

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Synthetic Oil

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • Whichever my dealer puts in

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Since Kia doesn't have requirements stating the Stinger must use regular oil, synthetic blend oil or synthetic oil. What oil type is going in your Kia Stinger after your first oil change?

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
Full synthetic.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I trust my Kia dealership implicitly based on over a decade of past experience. They'll put in what they want and I'll be happy.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Dealership oil

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
The manual says the oil must meet GF-4 standards. I've used Mobil 1 for both of my GM small-blocks in the G8 and GTO and it's rated GF-5. That's what I'm using.

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
stinger GT2
ditto Mobil 1

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
I trust my Kia dealership implicitly based on over a decade of past experience. They'll put in what they want and I'll be happy.
Spoke with my tech since I posted this. He reminded me what the parts department charges for synthetic oil. So I'll be bringing my own. Happy to default to Mobil 1 as I've used it in many vehicles. But just wondering, with some of the new oil tech from top brands, whether there's something else I should consider.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Spoke with my tech since I posted this. He reminded me what the parts department charges for synthetic oil. So I'll be bringing my own. Happy to default to Mobil 1 as I've used it in many vehicles. But just wondering, with some of the new oil tech from top brands, whether there's something else I should consider.
Mobil 1 keeps ahead of the game. If you watch their listing of standards, you'll see that they meet everything and are always a step ahead. Good video from Engineering Explained on YouTube where he shows what Exxon-Mobile does in their labs in testing.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Silver Kia Stinger GT
It's Synthetic Blend from the factory right?

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
The manual says "Total" which is not available (as far as I know) in the U.S. I'm sure it's a synthetic.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Full synthetic

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
The manual also says to use at least a GF-4 oil. GF-4 oils are full synthetic oils, as are GF-5 oils. The reason is that only synthetic oils resist thermal breakdown due to the immense heat at the turbo shafts which are directly in the exhaust stream. Regular or partial synthetic oils break down and gum up the bearings, causing the turbo shaft to fail or seize.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I am between Royal Purple HPS and M-1. 5w-30 for both

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD
I received 4 free full synthetic oil changes from the dealer when I bought my car, so there's that..........

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
the main reason was, that it was the only oil available that complied with the ACEA A5-B5 and GF-5 standards that the manual recommends.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
I've always used Royal Purple in my cars. It's pricey, but I've always been happy with it.
When I change the oil in this car, I will do the same!

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
Been using Pennzoil SRT in all my Hemis and Mobile 1 in the wifes.... Not sure yet honestly. Maybe Mobile one just because you can buy it literally everywhere