Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia Stinger Oil Thread

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Kia Stinger Oil Weight
3.3 T-GDI - 5W-30, 5W-40 or Above
3.3 T-GDI - ACEA A5 or Above
2.0 T-GDI - 0W-30, 5W-30, 5W-40 or Above
2.0 T-GDI - ACEA C2 or Above

Kia Stinger Filters
Kia Stinger Oil Filter Part

Kia Stinger Oil Brands
What's your favorite oil brand?

3.3 T-GDI Oil Volume
7.92 US qt.

2.0 T-GDI Oil Volume
6.02 US qt.

Kia Stinger Oil Information, Kia Stinger Oil Volume, Kia Stinger Oil Capacity

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Interesting Kia spec'd a ACEA-C2 oil for the 2.0L. That oil is designed for DPF's (diesels) due to it's low ash content.

I bet the Kia dealers here in the US will dump non C2 spec synthetic into the sump.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I'll find out when I get my first (free!) oil change...

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Is anyone shocked that the v6 takes EIGHT quarts of oil??? LOL

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Interesting - oversized pan and/or an oil cooler?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Interesting - oversized pan and/or an oil cooler?
I believe that alll Kia's have oil coolers built in.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Probably because Kia is using the oil as secondary cooling system similar to diesels. Water cooling may not be enough for severe duty like track work.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Probably because Kia is using the oil as secondary cooling system similar to diesels. Water cooling may not be enough for severe duty like track work.
I think that they also do it because they have a warranty on the power train for 10 years. LOL

OP
KiaFan

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Thread Starter #10
I believe that alll Kia's have oil coolers built in.

Any maintenance procedures that you?re aware of for the oil coolers?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Any maintenance procedures that you?re aware of for the oil coolers?
Oh, Nope! Kia's had oil and tranny coolers built in for years now.

OP
KiaFan

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Thread Starter #12
Oh, Nope! Kia's had oil and tranny coolers built in for years now.
Really impressed with their attention to detail on the power train.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I'm not sure how the turbos are lubed and cooled in detail, but turbos are hell on oil because of the extreme heat. By doubling the crankcase capacity and calling for 6K oil changes, that is, in effect, a normal crankcase capacity change at 3K equivalent. In addition the extra volume allows for better cooling of the circulating oil. Both of my Pontiacs with the LS2 and LS96 engines have 9 qt. deep sumps. I'm still not sure on what change intervals I'll use. I'm also not sure what oil. I've used Mobil 1 in both my LS's but I'm not familiar with the Kia specs so I have to do some research on that.

One thing that does concern me a bit is the hassle to change oil.

First, the filter is a cartridge beneath a plastic cap with a 27mm "nut" on the cap. Is there a Kia filter wrench available to safely remove that without risk of cracking the cap?
Second, I am a bit concerned by the use of plastic underbody covers which are held by four or five bolts and a couple of plastic push-pins. The bolts appear to be recessed a bit, but the push pins are not and might be subject to shearing when driving over ice and snow, or low clearance driveways or high center off-roads (which I try like heck to avoid.) They are also at risk from contact with the oil which is hard on plastics.

EDIT: OK, just read up on oil. Kia 3.3 wants ILSAC GF-4 or better. Mobil 1 5-30W is ILSAC GF-5, so that's where I'm going.

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2, 2004 MSM
First, the filter is a cartridge beneath a plastic cap with a 27mm "nut" on the cap. Is there a Kia filter wrench available to safely remove that without risk of cracking the cap?
I was curious about this as well after watching the video of the oil change. Is there a special tool or socket that kia uses? I found this on amazon, which should work, but is there something better?
https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-956...890334&sr=1-14&keywords=kia+oil+filter+wrench

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
That looks good -- Kia mentioned, so the filter housings must be very similar if not identical. Thanks [MENTION=187]winningGT[/MENTION].

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I bought a Performance Tool 27mm six point socket off of ebay for my Ecoboost oil filter cap. Works great.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Great info. Thanks.

I think we should start thinking about a replacement aluminum splash shield for the stinger with a small door/opening to gain access to the drain plug with out removing the whole shield. I agree with [MENTION=456]mldavis2[/MENTION] the plastic shields have their days counted as the Stinger sees more street time. Example below.

Last edited:

mdwallace

Reactions
State
ME
Country
United States
Looks nice. I can only imagine the mess the first time you take it anywhere to g it it changed. Even the dealership. How many Stingers would they sell to get them consistently back into the service dept how any mechanics would need to muck around with doing a couple before they could do it clean.

JJay03

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
I notice the manual says you can use 5w40. I might just have to pick up some rotella t6. On all my other cars I just changed it myself and kept the receipts. I noticed the kia manual specifically says to have the dealer change it.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
I notice the manual says you can use 5w40. I might just have to pick up some rotella t6. On all my other cars I just changed it myself and kept the receipts. I noticed the kia manual specifically says to have the dealer change it.
You can use either 5w30 or 5w40, I plan on using 5w40 as well.