Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Alfa Romeo Giulia beats out the Kia Stinger for Motor Trend Car of the Year

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Acura MDX
It's too bad, I thought Kia Stinger was a shoo-in for Motor Trend's Car of the Year. Congrats to Alfa Romeo on the victory this year.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/alfa-romeo-giulia-2018-car-of-the-year/
When seeing the strength of the 2018 COTY field, some readers might feel our choice of the Alfa Romeo seems out of left field. The Honda Accord, Kia Stinger, and Tesla Model 3 all make strong plays for top honors (and received individual first-place votes among our judging panel).

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Civic Si Coupe
Yeah that's too bad. Personally I have a hard time getting past that fugly front end, but that's just me. Otherwise it seems pretty impressive, especially the high end version.

OP
StingerYYC
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Acura MDX
Thread Starter #3
The front end reminds me of a bird and yes not very appealing.

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
Really too bad and not what I expected.

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Disappointed.[facepalm]

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
Its rigged to go to highest Car and Driver advertiser.
[hihi]

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
I'm not surprised, it is an excellent car. I've read all the journals and reviews from almost all of the editors on various sites from the past year. Alfa heritage is what makes this car want to succeed and everyone wants to see it succeed. For the Stinger to be a finalist in its debut year, that is a feat in itself. I would drive a Giulia any day of the week, just like the Stinger.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
The Giulia is a great car and the Giulia Quadrifoglio is a beast. Just being part of the final contenders is still a great honor for the Stinger.

Here's a cool video of how well the Quadrifoglio drives.
[video=youtube;WGAU7aFMFwQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGAU7aFMFwQ[/video]

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I'm very disappointed in M&T's decision but I get it... Alfa Romeo has racing history, pedigree and the Giulia makes a big statement because it's Alfa's big return to the USA after the 4C of course. I remember a while ago M&T saying that some of the requirements for a car to make car of the year, the car had to be all new, be in production and it had to make a statement of some sort. The Giulia does all that. The thing is, in reality, the Stinger does it all bigger. The Stinger is all new but it's possible M&T couldn't get their hands on a production version. They may have only had access to a pre-production car and that may have been a disqualifier. But the Stinger makes a much bigger statement in the automotive world. KIA has just made a car that enthusiasts all over the world have been asking for, for decades, but no one would make except for expensive automakers. Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan and Honda all missed out. Buick/Opel came close with the last gen Regal/Ensignia and Mazda came close when the Mazda 6 first came out with it's hatch. KIA has created a niche making an affordable A7 or Panamera with the Stinger, where Alfa Romeo made something really good in an existing niche. It all is what it is. Congrats to Alfa Romeo. The Giulia is a great performer.

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
Look at it this way: Less opportunity for dealers to "market adjust" the the Stinger, since it's merely a CoTY runner-up.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Look at it this way: Less opportunity for dealers to "market adjust" the the Stinger, since it's merely a CoTY runner-up.
hhmmmmm.... I like the way you think:)

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Bummer it didn't win.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date