Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia Stinger GT AWD on GRB Coilovers

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States

Stock OEM Kia Stinger Suspension

GRBS All In One Kia Stinger Suspension

Electronic Suspension (ECS) Adapters

Adjustable Stabilizer Ribbon Link

GRBS Kia Stinger Suspension System

Kia Stinger GRBS Coilovers, Kia Stinger Coilovers

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
This is a great looking kit and even more perfect that it retains the electronic suspension.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
My god the wrap color is just killing the look of the car.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
Can anybody comment on how it affects the performance of the car in handling and ride?

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Can anybody comment on how it affects the performance of the car in handling and ride?
Steve, send them an email and let them know you are the first to try this, they'll probably give you a discount.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Does anybody know how to reach the company? I've searched the internet for GRBS Suspension/shocks/springs etc and can't find a website for the company.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2017 3.3 GT
This is a great looking kit and even more perfect that it retains the electronic suspension.
I don't see how this kit retains the electronic suspension as it looks like the canisters only plug into the wiring harness so the ecu won't throw up any errors.

There doesn't appear to be any connection between the canisters and the shocks at least as far as the photos show

When we get some more info about them I suppose we'll find out exactly how they work

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Are the shocks/struts manually adjustable?

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
I don't see how this kit retains the electronic suspension as it looks like the canisters only plug into the wiring harness so the ecu won't throw up any errors.

There doesn't appear to be any connection between the canisters and the shocks at least as far as the photos show

When we get some more info about them I suppose we'll find out exactly how they work
I took a second look and you're right, I misread the original post when I first saw it on my phone and thought they were adapters to retain the adjustments.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
What I see is a wiring connection on the shock body just below the GRB decal. One is on the left side of the body and one on the right side of the other body. The canister 'wire' is actually a hydraulic tube that threads into the shock body to allow for rod displacement to flow to what's called an external expansion reservoir. Not sure why they show it as a separate part. But there is no other reason for it to exist.

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Anyone able to find prices on this?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
I sent in a request to Type 4 Shock absorbers. They are in Korea. I'll advise as soon as I get something back. Fingers crossed. Also taking my car to the dealer on Saturday. I'm going to compare to another Stinger and see if I have a problem. Fingers crossed for that too.

OP
ATXStinger

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thread Starter #13
I sent in a request to Type 4 Shock absorbers. They are in Korea. I'll advise as soon as I get something back. Fingers crossed. Also taking my car to the dealer on Saturday. I'm going to compare to another Stinger and see if I have a problem. Fingers crossed for that too.
Excellent.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2017 3.3 GT
What I see is a wiring connection on the shock body just below the GRB decal. One is on the left side of the body and one on the right side of the other body. The canister 'wire' is actually a hydraulic tube that threads into the shock body to allow for rod displacement to flow to what's called an external expansion reservoir. Not sure why they show it as a separate part. But there is no other reason for it to exist.
Steve not to be argumentative and I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong but if you look closely at the photos I think it clearly shows (at least when enlarging and brightening) that the canister does have a wire attached. In the photo of just the 4 canisters you can see the wire from the second canister poking out of the end of the corrugated protection tube and then attaches to the "electrical" plug. So I don't think it's a hydraulic tube. Also I believe that what you see as a wiring connection on the left and right of the shock body is a bracket to hold some wiring etc. If your explanation was correct I would also expect to see something similar on the front shocks which I can't. As I mentioned before and I'm no expert on this but I would imagine that if the ecu can't see the shocks electronically then it would bring up an error code.Maybe that's what the canisters do with the electrical plug plugging into the cars original shock control wiring to keep the ecu happy? Hopefully you can get the info you are after from the shock manufacturer.

PS I did enjoy your writeup in the other thread about how the active suspension works

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
No wise man never changes his mind upsidedown. You're right re the bracket on the shock body. I'm now in correspondence with the manufacturer and was sent new photos. I'm still waiting on the answers to a bunch of questions. They are mono-tube shocks, but that means the reservoir must be at the bottom of the body. So I asked to confirm the extended and collapsed lengths relative to stock. Stand by as I will share all soon.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Yes. I have a quote from Kim at Type-4 in Korea of $1655 USD plus freight of about $300.

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
I took my car to the dealer on Saturday and, although they say they did nothing, my car went up the hoist and down and now it's fixed. Either I'm crazy, or some wiring harness got stretched I don't know. But the skipping out is gone. The rear and the front are in sync now, and no more corkscrewing. So I'm happy with the suspension now. Although it is still not as firm as I would like it. Apparently the Type-4 springs are stiffer than stock and I'm not a fan of stiff springs. Just stiff shocks. I'm waiting on more info from Type-4 and then I'll submit a full 'report' for the forum. At this point I could go with Eibachs only, or Type-4 Coil overs, or Type-4 shocks only (waiting on that request from them). I'm not going to do anything just yet. I'm in the collecting information mode. Stand by...

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
GRBS UPDATE 1

Hello, dear Mr. Ostrowski.

Thanks for your kind question about our products.

I would like to answer your questions as below, please kindly refer to.

Q1.Are the extended and collapsed lengths the same as stock?

A1: The extended and collapsed lengthes are same as stock. The extended length :550mm The collapsed length:490mm

Q2. What is the damping adjustability range. +/- 10%, +/- 30%, +/- 100%?

A2 : The damping adjustability range is +/- 30%.

Q3. Is the adjustability range the same for compression as for rebound?

A3 : The adjustability range is same for compression as for rebound.

Q4. is the external canister the remote reservoir for fluid displacement from the rod?

A4: Our red type products are not the reservoir type. Please kindly refer to picture again for confrim.

Other question is also welcomed to ask. Thank you.

Best regards,

Kim

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
GRBS UPDATE 2

Dear Mr. Ostrowski.

I am so happy to get your questions again. I would like to answer like below.

For the spring stiffness. How much stiffer are the springs over stock as a percent%?

A : Our red type coilover springs are 20%~30% stiffer than stock.

What is the canister with the wire attached if it is not a remote reservoir. Is that a dummy sensor for the computer to be happy?

A : It is not a remote reservoir or dummy sensor. We call it canceller. canceller is to cancel the warning of car which installed the electronical control suspension system. If there is no electronical control suspension system in your car , you do not need canceller.

If the struts/shocks are available without the coil overs, how much would that set be?

A : We supply full set ( Front or rear) shock absorber. Please do not worry about the price. You are special client for us, We will give you a best price.

With 30% adjustment range, where is stock damping. Is stock damping at the softest setting, or at the middle of the settings?

A : The damping is the hardest setting with 30% adjustment range.

How is the adjustment in the damping made? Is it with wrenches at the top of the rod?

A : We adjust the damping with click handle. Click handle is a part to adjust the damping force. Therefore we do not need wrenches to adjust damping. Please see the attached picture.

How come the shocks don't have a bushing on the rod? I've never seen that before.

A : We normally use the bushing of stock parts, So we do not need bushing.

I really hope that you can satisfy my answer. Thanks again.

Best regards.

Kim