Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Who is considering purchasing a KIA for the first time because of the Stinger?

Who is considering purchasing a KIA for the first time because of the Stinger?

• I am

Votes: 113 85.0%
  • Not me

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I'm currently a KIA owner

Votes: 18 13.5%

• Total voters

CptNut

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
Damn bud I’m surprised with the low numbers on the sti and 330i but I have a feeling ur RPMs are high during those numbers lol.
To clarify that is after a tune and sometimes I’ll have a heavy foot sometimes relaxed foot ha! But average is 27 on those long drives.
Earlier without a tune it was around 20 or 22 I think.
But if it’s just city driving then it’s around 20/21 average which is also an improvement as i was getting around 17/18 before the tune .
Previously I owned a cla45 and after my tune I was getting easily between 27-30mpg on the same commute and that thing was running almost 450hp with tons of fun mods haha
I miss it every time I think of it mainly the crazy beast it was and the brrrp and handling and have to remind myself that the stinger trade off makes my life way smoother nicer on the inside , easier on the back and feel more like an adult lol ohh can’t forget to mention how much money I’m saving on repairs now lol
Wow, you must have a lot of restraint to get 27MPG after putting a tune on the car!

The STI had a Cobb v2 AccessPort custom tuned by a shop in Houston, TX and 15MPG was when I was hammering it, and 18 to 19 if I was driving like a granny. The problem I have is my work commute is 100% city with speeds b/w 25 to 45 mph. I could never get the STI going fast enough to use 6th gear.

The 330Ci had a Dinan ECU flash, but all that did was sharpen the pedal response, bump up the rev limiter by 250 rpms and remove the top speed governor. The problem with the 330 5spd manual is it didn't have an overdrive gear so my MPG's suffered. I hear you about repair costs. My brother in law was a BMW master tech who started his own shop and I only paid his cost for the parts and labor was free and I still sold the car with less than 90k miles on it. The first 8 years I had no problems, but with the southern heat and humidity all the rubber seals, gaskets, bushings etc started getting brittle and cracking.

CptNut

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
The paddle shifters will allow you to shift anytime you want just like a manual. Ckeeler is right about the down shifting, It's quick but it's not supercar quick.

If you drive on the freeway and you put the car in ECO mode your gas mileage will be in the low 30mpg. I've gotten as high as 35mpg on the freeway but in the city I'm getting around 23 to 25mpg.

With the lease incentive's, with a 24 month lease its around 9100.00 and a 36 month its around 7100.00.
Thanks for the info about the paddle shifter and your MPG's! If I can 30+ MPG cruising at 70 to 75MPH on the interstate I'd be stoked! Do you use the auto stop/start feature when driving in town and you get stuck at a red light?

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thanks for the info about the paddle shifter and your MPG's! If I can 30+ MPG cruising at 70 to 75MPH on the interstate I'd be stoked! Do you use the auto stop/start feature when driving in town and you get stuck at a red light?
Mine says I’m at about 32mpg average on the way to work and about 28 going home.

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
In mixed driving not much traffic I'm getting 19.5 mpg. 30mpg??? not in real world. Maybe if you hit reset and track your miles when you are cruising like a granny on the highway. Probably have to be going downhill too.

I was only getting 32 in the Mini that I traded in. It was 1400lbs lighter and had 3 cyl. If you want real world 30 forget about this car it will be more like 20

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
To get that mileage you have to be easy on the throttle all the time, plus there are guys that have these cars that are not get anywhere near 30mpg because they don't drive in ECO mod but for each is there own, I like getting good gas mileage. If your reading on the dash says 22mpg and you jump on the freeway your average will go up a little, maybe to 23 or 24mpg. No I don't use auto stop/start, I noticed when you put the shifter in manual to use the paddles, its disabled.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
In mixed driving not much traffic I'm getting 19.5 mpg. 30mpg??? not in real world. Maybe if you hit reset and track your miles when you are cruising like a granny on the highway. Probably have to be going downhill too.

I was only getting 32 in the Mini that I traded in. It was 1400lbs lighter and had 3 cyl. If you want real world 30 forget about this car it will be more like 20
Its all on how you drive, the dealer told me that you only get 300 miles on a tank of gas. they're full of crap, I'm hitting 300 miles at 3 quarters of a tank on average, sometimes higher sometimes lower, depends on how I drive. Now in sport mod with the JB4, your right about 19mpg, I've had it as low as 17mpg but I don't drive in that mod all the time. I used to race sportbikes on the street an on track, I don't need to drive like that anymore, don't need the tickets.

I had a Kia Optima SX before the Stinger an that car was rated at 32 on the freeway and 26 in the city. I drove from Washington State to Arizona in 2016, my average gas mileage was 38mpg and at one point it was 42 but there was a slight down grade. I was in ECO mod the hole way to Arizona.

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
To get that mileage you have to be easy on the throttle all the time, plus there are guys that have these cars that are not get anywhere near 30mpg because they don't drive in ECO mod but for each is there own, I like getting good gas mileage. If your reading on the dash says 22mpg and you jump on the freeway your average will go up a little, maybe to 23 or 24mpg. No I don't use auto stop/start, I noticed when you put the shifter in manual to use the paddles, its disabled.
If you want good gas mileage why buy a heavy car with a twin turbo V6? You have to realize that makes no sense.

Look at reviews off this site a common theme on the con side is bad mileage.

Can you hyper mile and do better than me? Sure but whatever you do you'd do better in another car

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
If you want good gas mileage why buy a heavy car with a twin turbo V6? You have to realize that makes no sense.

Look at reviews off this site a common theme on the con side is bad mileage.

Can you hyper mile and do better than me? Sure but whatever you do you'd do better in another car
The weight doesn't concern me, in fact it 7lbs lighter then the GTR R35. I'm just saying there is a way to get good gas mileage but most of the guys that by the stinger have a heavy foot that's why the mileage suck. Why does anybody buy a car because they like it, most people buy this car because you said it, twin turbo.

Gas mileage doesn't concern me because conserving gas is just how I drive now. I only gas up twice a month because I don't work, I'm a disabled vet. Having a heavy foot an racing around I did in my 20s & 30s not I have a lighter foot, but sometimes its heavy.

CptNut

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
Having a heavy foot an racing around I did in my 20s & 30s not I have a lighter foot, but sometimes its heavy.
^^^ This! Most of the time I'm driving to work while listening to pods casts and driving like "seasoned" citizen. Sometimes after a rough day at work, its nice release some stress via my right foot on the way home. [driving] I wouldn't buy a Stinger because I WANT high MPG's, but its nice to know if I drive like a reasonable person I can get more than 20 MPG on my work commute.

Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
^^^ This! Most of the time I'm driving to work while listening to pods casts and driving like "seasoned" citizen. Sometimes after a rough day at work, its nice release some stress via my right foot on the way home. [driving] I wouldn't buy a Stinger because I WANT high MPG's, but its nice to know if I drive like a reasonable person I can get more than 20 MPG on my work commute.
So I actually did forget to
Mention one important factor when I get the real good mpg.
My girlfriend is in the car and often complains of nausea the moment she feels any torque lol. So I end up staying in comfort or putting it into eco.
And the funny thing is even if I change driving modes from comfort or eco to sport. The car does do an abrupt change in rpms and the next thing I hear is “ dooooonnttttt “ lol
Hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
So I actually did forget to
Mention one important factor when I get the real good mpg.
My girlfriend is in the car and often complains of nausea the moment she feels any torque lol. So I end up staying in comfort or putting it into eco.
And the funny thing is even if I change driving modes from comfort or eco to sport. The car does do an abrupt change in rpms and the next thing I hear is “ dooooonnttttt “ lol
Hahahaha

That's funny pchek, she probably see's your hand move then you see her turn an look at you with those crazy eyes "[crazyeye]" then the finger "[nono]" dooooonnttt and you with that look on your face [hihi]. LOL to funny

Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
That's funny pchek, she probably see's your hand move then you see her turn an look at you with those crazy eyes "[crazyeye]" then the finger "[nono]" dooooonnttt and you with that look on your face [hihi]. LOL to funny
Hahahaha seriously it’s like a 5 yr old caught w his hand in the candy jar lol

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
You can get very good gas mileage out of this car:

Above is two trips I took.
I also spent three days of city driving in eco (Charlotte NC) to and from work and averaged 24.9. I normally average 16-19 though as I have too much fun in sport mode with my throttle response chip:)

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
^^^ so you hit reset while going 50mph downhill in eco mode driving from the mountains down to the sea then take a picture. I had a mini cooper 2600 lb car with a 3 cyl which got 32mpg in normal driving. Whatever your doing if I did the same in that car I'd have gotten 50mpg. Relative to other cars this car does not get good gas mileage.

If anyone is reading this thread considering a Stinger I think it's a great car but normal driving your getting high teens low twenties at best. It's a great car you should buy one too but gas mileage is not a high point. That's a fact look at any third party review

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
^^^ so you hit reset while going 50mph downhill in eco mode driving from the mountains down to the sea then take a picture. I had a mini cooper 2600 lb car with a 3 cyl which got 32mpg in normal driving. Whatever your doing if I did the same in that car I'd have gotten 50mpg. Relative to other cars this car does not get good gas mileage.

If anyone is reading this thread considering a Stinger I think it's a great car but normal driving your getting high teens low twenties at best. It's a great car you should buy one too but gas mileage is not a high point. That's a fact look at any third party review
My average per tank hovers around 26. I have a 40 mile commute to work. 6.5 miles to the freeway and 2 miles from the freeway to work. Cruising at 70. Good mileage for this car is completely possible. If you can’t pull out of the low 20’s, you’ve got a lead foot or you sit in a lot of traffic. I pulled an average of 29 on my 700 mile round trip up to the mountains and back down

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
My average per tank hovers around 26. I have a 40 mile commute to work. 6.5 miles to the freeway and 2 miles from the freeway to work. Cruising at 70. Good mileage for this car is completely possible. If you can’t pull out of the low 20’s, you’ve got a lead foot or you sit in a lot of traffic. I pulled an average of 29 on my 700 mile round trip up to the mountains and back down
You're not following me. Relative to any other car this car the stinger gets bad mileage. If you had a different car you would get better mileage.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Relative to what cars? Cars in its class or small cars? I actually get better mileage than my wife’s V6 Milan. And it’s in the same class the Optima is. Sure, it’s just about 9 years old, but still. I still get better mileage than my v6 mustang got.

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Relative to what cars? Cars in its class or small cars? I actually get better mileage than my wife’s V6 Milan. And it’s in the same class the Optima is. Sure, it’s just about 9 years old, but still. I still get better mileage than my v6 mustang got.

The Infiniti Q50 gets 2 mpg better. I picked that car because one of my previous vehicles was a 2006 G35 coupe. It was rated 19 and 26 I got 23. I looked up the stinger it's rated 17 and 25 and I'm getting 18.6.

anyway I'm tired you win The stinger gets the greatest gas mileage in the world. Anytime I see anybody and they mention my car I'll tell him how it gets wonderful beautiful spectacular gas mileage I am so happy with the gas mileage