Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia Stinger Out The Door Price Thread

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
I just tried to see what this was all about... I filled out the Costco form at around 8pm my time and then at about 8:40pm, I got a call from the dealership. Seems a little late to be calling first off, but then he told me it's only $250 off invoice, not $500. That dealer also showed an extra $500 incentive available.

-Matt

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
I?m confused. [MENTION=8]StingerMike[/MENTION] posted invoice pricing on cars, accesories, etc. ?2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD - Invoice $48,213.00, MSRP $51,400.00? and destination fee is $900. So invoice pricing with destination appears to be $49,113.

Did your Costco price of $49,095 include destination? $500 under invoice on the GT2 AWD would appear to be $48,613 with destination or $47,713 without destination.

What am I missing?
Probably the extra crap the dealer is adding in... $700 for window tint / door guards etc...

-Matt

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Mazda6 Touring ? Soul Red
Interesting... You'll want to try and find out if the Costco program is $500 below invoice - on any vehicle, always... I say this because the dealer said the Costco program is only $250, but another said they got $500 off invoice via the Costco program. That's a big deal, because they also said Kia is giving off $500.

The truth is Kia is providing a $750 rebate. So there is your $250 and $500. Sounds like the Dealer is giving you only invoice, while Kia is giving you $750 below that... Where is the $500 below invoice via the Costco deal on top of this?...

Then again, I do not know Costco's program details. Perhaps their rule is so long as it's $500 below invoice (whether it's via a rebate, or anything) so long as the dealer makes $500 below invoice they are complying with the program?... I really don't know.

Personally, I'd test the Costco pricing with a few other dealers perhaps a fair distance away, and see what you get. I'd personally push for $500 below invoice and then Kia's $750 rebate on top of that.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Honestly, with the way pricing is in my area 1 dollar under invoice is a steal.

But we're talking about real Kia invoice that the dealer paid to Kia not the invoice the dealership puts on the window sticker, right?

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
In my research, using Kelly Blue book prices, I found that the Dealer Invoice is about $3,000 below MSRP. MSRP is the price on the window sticker. Dealer Invoice is the price a dealer is invoiced for the car by Kia, NOT INCLUDING other kickbacks related to special clearances, quota allowances and other dealer incentives. The difference varies of course depending on the price of the car but that $3,000 is pretty close on a $50,000 car ignoring all the other things that may reduce the dealer cost. So allowing $500 off MSRP means the dealer is making at least $2,500 and likely much more.

Another thing to consider is that if you buy a car off the lot, it used to be that the manufacturers would not charge the dealer floor plan interest on the invoice price of the car until after 90 days. So if you buy a car that has been at a dealer for more than 90 days, it begins to accumulate interest costs that must be passed along to the customer to maintain the same profit margin as a new car. One way around that is to resist the emotional "gotta have it now" and order one to your specs from the factory. That way you don't incur dealer interest, and you don't get hung with stuff the dealer might have added for a big profit that you don't want, like window tinting, cargo nets, etc.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Right, understood. I wouldn't consider $500 off MSRP much of a deal, especially on a Kia. I got nearly $8k off on my Optima SXL 6 months ago (I know they are different beasts, but Kia is known for aggressive discounts off MSRP).

So, with this Costco pricing, are they truly knocking $500 off invoice or is it knocked off MRSP? $500 off invoice is a helluva deal for the current it car.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Right, understood. I wouldn't consider $500 off MSRP much of a deal, especially on a Kia. I got nearly $8k off on my Optima SXL 6 months ago (I know they are different beasts, but Kia is known for aggressive discounts off MSRP).

So, with this Costco pricing, are they truly knocking $500 off invoice or is it knocked off MRSP? $500 off invoice is a helluva deal for the current it car.
I would take that claim with a huge grain of salt. $500 off MSRP. I'll bet you don't get to see the dealer invoice, and if you do, it isn't the real invoice. They must pay for showfloor and lot maintenance, commissions and a lot of overhead. $500 below dealer invoice would be essentially dealer cost, and no dealer can do that.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Another thing I just thought of--how many of the people getting money taken off invoice are actually leasing the car?

I'm just going to get a Costco membership and see what happens. I'll report back what I find out.

*Edit: I'm now a Costco member. I've tried multiple zip codes throughout the state and found only one participating dealer. They're located about 100 miles from me--well within driving range. I'm waiting on them to contact me.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I?m confused. [MENTION=8]StingerMike[/MENTION] posted invoice pricing on cars, accesories, etc. ?2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD - Invoice $48,213.00, MSRP $51,400.00? and destination fee is $900. So invoice pricing with destination appears to be $49,113.

Did your Costco price of $49,095 include destination? $500 under invoice on the GT2 AWD would appear to be $48,613 with destination or $47,713 without destination.

What am I missing?
My particular dealer is charged a dealer marketing group fee of $482 (local advertising costs), which is added to the invoice amount. Costco's invoice number doesn't reflect this additional amount since not all dealers get charged the fee. I confirmed with [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION] that the fee is legitimate. So this particular dealer's invoice price was $49,113 + $482 = $49,595. My price was $500 less than that, $49,095. I wasn't aware of any other local Costco-affiliated dealers that didn't have that same fee, and the dealers that aren't Costco-affiliated wouldn't match a price at/below invoice (since there are many buyers willing to pay closer to the MSRP number). And to be honest, like most of us, I've put a lot of time into my research. I had to make a distinction about how much my time was worth and how much harder I'd have had to search to find that car at a better price. It was exactly the trim and color I wanted, and I basically drove it off the truck. Only the service guys had driven it as part of making the car sell-able. I likely could have eventually found the car for $48,613 somewhere, but I'm satisfied with the price I paid.

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
They show you on the side MSRP and Invoice. They are supposed to have provided me with a special Costo only price sheet. I am calling Costco now and I will report back.

-Matt

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
They said that $250 off MSRP is not correct! They are having a Member Advocate reach out to me. He said it should be off invoice.

-Matt

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
The closest participating dealership to me (120 miles west) is running the numbers right now. I should find out soon if I wasted my time getting a Costco membership.

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
The closest participating dealership to me (120 miles west) is running the numbers right now. I should find out soon if I wasted my time getting a Costco membership.
My understanding is Costco is - generally - $500 below invoice (however they get there. Rebates, etc... just get $500 below and that's all they need to do. Thus, purchasing as Stinger right now has a $750 rebate. Dealer could sell at Invoice and give you $500 off, keep $250 or give you all of it).

And hey, you can NEVER have blown it by getting a Costco membership - that place rocks! ; )

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
My understanding is Costco is - generally - $500 below invoice (however they get there. Rebates, etc... just get $500 below and that's all they need to do. Thus, purchasing as Stinger right now has a $750 rebate. Dealer could sell at Invoice and give you $500 off, keep $250 or give you all of it).

And hey, you can NEVER have blown it by getting a Costco membership - that place rocks! ; )
The dealer got back with me and said they don't have any pricing for the Stinger from Costco yet.

I don't doubt the membership is worth it, for some. But the closest Costco to me is an hour and a half drive.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
The dealer got back with me and said they don't have any pricing for the Stinger from Costco yet.

I don't doubt the membership is worth it, for some. But the closest Costco to me is an hour and a half drive.
Are there any Kia dealers around other Costcos further away? If you get a quote from one dealer it's very easily negotiable with others.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Are there any Kia dealers around other Costcos further away? If you get a quote from one dealer it's very easily negotiable with others.
I just got off the phone with Costco's rep. The closest dealer with pricing on the GT is around 540 miles from me. I didn't even think to get a quote from them to use as a bargaining tool against other dealers. I guess it's worth a shot. Who knows, maybe they'll make me an offer that I can't refuse.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I just got off the phone with Costco's rep. The closest dealer with pricing on the GT is around 540 miles from me. I didn't even think to get a quote from them to use as a bargaining tool against other dealers. I guess it's worth a shot. Who knows, maybe they'll make me an offer that I can't refuse.
As will I. LOL ;-)

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
That is dealer baloney. It's a program, not per vehicle pricing. It is (my best understanding): Invoice - $500. That is the Costco system. It isn't per-vehicle, sheesh... They just know they can get a LOT more than that right now and don't want to sell at the price. Personally, I would complain to Costco corporate about this and the dealer stating as such. Again, I may be wrong, but go online. Hundreds of posts all over the place talking to this exact pricing, over and over and over. This answer simply does NOT wash...

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
You're about 1k miles from me. Gonna have to be quite the deal. Whatcha got?
Hahahaha

I've got 6 Stinger's in stock which is more than any other midwest dealer.

Call my cell when you get a chance and we'll talk. 309-912-2132