Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

3.3 Stinger power development

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Atta Boy [MENTION=217]Jonnytig[/MENTION]. 12.3 is impressive. Keep it up [thumb]

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
[MENTION=217]Jonnytig[/MENTION] you need to be the first to achieve 11's in the Kia Stinger.[raceflag]

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Great job [MENTION=217]Jonnytig[/MENTION], this thing is going to be a beast once all the tuning bugs are addressed.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Awesome news. Can't wait for the tune.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Rio
Hey guys. So sorry for the late reply. Been crazy busy with work. So the cooler fitted up great. It will be our stage 1 entry level kit. Car made 293rwkw but started breaking down. Thought it may be due to plug gap so we dropped plugs to .7mm for the drags. Btw when we had the inlet manifold off to change plugs.......just wow. The inlet ports were amazing. Like something from a motorbike engine. Very nice :)

So we did a couple of passes down the strip and still had some missfire issues. So first pass we took pretty easy and backed off at the 1000ft mark. It went 12.5 at 100mph with a 2sec 60ft. Did one more run with it missing thru 3rd n 4th and went 12.3@114mph with a 1.98 60ft. I believed the miss could be due to the position of the tmap we placed on the new cooler pipe. But after some discussion with another company today who rang me i believe it may be a different problem. They have developed a full exhaust n down pipes with 100cell cats and are experiencing the same misding problem. I think we may gave reached the limit if the factory tune in the ecu. What i think is happening is it is maxing out the torque table and limiting engine power. The miss sounds like the torque reduction used on gear changes by many manufacturers. Will hopefully have some info on it soon. We are having a play with some software later this week that may be able to efit the factory tune. We will see anyway. Still not too bad making close to 300rwkw and running a very lazy 12.3. I think it has a high 11 pass in it when Im not scared to fully open it up. Just didnt want to go full noise until we sort this missfire. Will keep ypu all updated with progress:)
Nice work on the Intercooler. Very professional. I'm thinking something in the tune needs to be changed too. For instance if they electronically limit the speed limit to 167 MPH they must also lock other things to protect the engine and gearbox.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Rio
[MENTION=217]Jonnytig[/MENTION] Are you using Air Oil seperator or a catch can?

And if so which do you use?

Thanks

OP
J
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Thread Starter #107
Hoping to run an 11 next meet :)Thing is gonna pull like a freight train once torque reduction is tuned out. Hauls arse now lol. Not running a catch can just yet but we will be designing one next week :)

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Do you think there would be a market for aftermarket heads? We can develop a few ports for these, have em digitized, and cnc'd but it wouldnt really be worth it if there werent many sets ordered.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Hoping to run an 11 next meet :)Thing is gonna pull like a freight train once torque reduction is tuned out. Hauls arse now lol. Not running a catch can just yet but we will be designing one next week :)
Are you now running on a new tune?

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
[MENTION=217]Jonnytig[/MENTION] any updates on the production intake?

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
20171124_173232.jpg

Out of curiousity, why did you choose the chrome route? I know metal absorbs and keeps more heat which can lead to heat soak, just wondering if you had a reason behind it.

Thanks

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
He said that he went with the Chrome to reflect more hear from the engine compartment.

OP
J
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Thread Starter #113
Are you now running on a new tune?
Not yet. But hoping to have it cracked before meet in January. Cars pulling really hard atm. Might put it back on dyno to see if its relearned.

Aftermarket heads? Possibly, the inlet ports are beautifully designed stock. Be nice to see what we could do with sone cnc ported units :)

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Rio
Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of updates. Been flat out with work. Anyway we spent the day desiging and building our Stinger cai. Really happy with how it has come out.

The factory ducting isnt the best as the intake sits under the big black plastic garnish over rad support with only about 1/4" of clearance to breath through. We removed the factory ductinf and built our own to sit behind the grille and feed lots of cold air to the filters. We have chosen to run a 4" inlet filter leading to 3" pipework to the turbos.

The Stinger feels much stronger and more responsive with a nice whistle from the twin snails. Hoping to get it onto the dyno in the next day or so.

Will keep you all updated. Here are some pics :)

Kindest regards Jon
Hi Jonny, [MENTION=217]Jonnytig[/MENTION]

Are you going to be selling (to the public) the CAI and the fabricated pieces funnelling in the air eventually? How easy are the cones to take off to clean?

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Rio
I like the Borla Carbon Fiber tips on the SEMA car.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
[MENTION=217]Jonnytig[/MENTION] any updates on how the tuning went?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
This thread needs updates

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
He's probably having too much fun with the Stinger lol.

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Really nice [MENTION=217]Jonnytig[/MENTION]

Hey guys. So sorry for the late reply. Been crazy busy with work. So the cooler fitted up great. It will be our stage 1 entry level kit. Car made 293rwkw but started breaking down. Thought it may be due to plug gap so we dropped plugs to .7mm for the drags. Btw when we had the inlet manifold off to change plugs.......just wow. The inlet ports were amazing. Like something from a motorbike engine. Very nice :)

So we did a couple of passes down the strip and still had some missfire issues. So first pass we took pretty easy and backed off at the 1000ft mark. It went 12.5 at 100mph with a 2sec 60ft. Did one more run with it missing thru 3rd n 4th and went 12.3@114mph with a 1.98 60ft. I believed the miss could be due to the position of the tmap we placed on the new cooler pipe. But after some discussion with another company today who rang me i believe it may be a different problem. They have developed a full exhaust n down pipes with 100cell cats and are experiencing the same misding problem. I think we may gave reached the limit if the factory tune in the ecu. What i think is happening is it is maxing out the torque table and limiting engine power. The miss sounds like the torque reduction used on gear changes by many manufacturers. Will hopefully have some info on it soon. We are having a play with some software later this week that may be able to efit the factory tune. We will see anyway. Still not too bad making close to 300rwkw and running a very lazy 12.3. I think it has a high 11 pass in it when Im not scared to fully open it up. Just didnt want to go full noise until we sort this missfire. Will keep ypu all updated with progress:)