Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Anyone noticed the Kia Stinger cost much less in Canada than in the US?

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
If you factor in the conversion rate, $49,995 CAD is about $39,145.76 USD [:0]. That's such a good bargain for the Stinger GT Limited as it's comparably equipped to our GT2 trim.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
It is a good deal for them considering they also get wireless charging, rear heated seats and the 360 camera.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
It is a great deal, hopefully it will translate to lots of sales for Kia Canada.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Can someone in the know explain this? This doesn't make me happy but I'm sure there's a logical explanation. Maybe different tariff in the US or some fee's being left off the Canadian advertised price? The currency conversion above is correct.

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
If you factor in the conversion rate, $49,995 CAD is about $39,145.76 USD [:0]. That's such a good bargain for the Stinger GT Limited as it's comparably equipped to our GT2 trim.
Wow that's a big difference and comes with more standard equipment?

In my Ricky Ricardo voice: Kia you got some 'splainin to do[mad]

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
I'm sure the Canadian economy has a lot to do with the Stinger's pricing in Canada.

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Rio
Wish we can just buy from Canada and drive them back to the US.[cool]

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
What's really stopping anyone from doing this??

-Matt

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What's really stopping anyone from doing this??

-Matt
You'll pay a tax with US Customs when importing it in the US that will off set the savings of buying it in Canada.....I'm guessing...

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
You'll pay a tax with US Customs when importing it in the US that will off set the savings of buying it in Canada.....I'm guessing...
It's 2.5%... That's $1000 USD, plus there is a $400 exception. Still $8600 + the extra features.

-Matt

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Not sure if its doable simply because the Canadian Stingers have KM speedometers and odometers.

Reactions
State
TN
Country
United States
You could most certainly do that, but you would have no warranty in the US. If you needed a warranty repair or recall work completed, you would have to take the vehicle back to a Canadian dealer.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Seat Leon 2001
Thats new for me. Normaly when i buy a car in denmark or neatherland the warranty is the same and all dealers heave to do the work, no metter where they are.

Gretz Slowy

Reactions
State
TN
Country
United States
Thats new for me. Normaly when i buy a car in denmark or neatherland the warranty is the same and all dealers heave to do the work, no metter where they are.

Gretz Slowy
Europe may be different across country lines, but I know in the US, there is no warranty for imported vehicles, at least for KIA. Just the same, if you take a US KIA to Canada, it has to come back to the states for recall or warranty work.

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
I have reached out to Kia USA with some questions on the matter. I will report back once I speak to them.

-Matt

Last edited:
Reactions
State
TN
Country
United States
Ok guys, I am confused where your pricing numbers are coming from. I went to both respective websites and found the following:

kia.com - US
Stinger GT2 RWD - $50,100 MSRP / AWD - $52,300

kia.ca - Canada
Stinger GT Limited AWD - $51,894 MSRP

The GT2 and GT Limited seem to be the top trim levels, and looking at that option, the US has the cheaper model if you prefer RWD. RWD doesn't appear to be offered in Canada, only AWD. But in comparing AWD versions, we only see a $406 difference. Thoughts?

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
Ok guys, I am confused where your pricing numbers are coming from. I went to both respective websites and found the following:

kia.com - US
Stinger GT2 RWD - $50,100 MSRP / AWD - $52,300

kia.ca - Canada
Stinger GT Limited AWD - $51,894 MSRP

The GT2 and GT Limited seem to be the top trim levels, and looking at that option, the US has the cheaper model if you prefer RWD. RWD doesn't appear to be offered in Canada, only AWD. But in comparing AWD versions, we only see a $406 difference. Thoughts?
You need to account for the conversion from CAD to USD.

-Matt

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
TN
Country
United States
You need to account for the conversion from CAD to USD.

-Matt

Ok, I am no financial expert, but I don't think that is how it works. Just because a car is $51,894 in one country, doesn't mean that is the same as $41,259 in another when it comes to MSRPs. Just in the few minutes of this thread, the currency converter has changed the US and Canadian dollar value several times. Because of currency values, trade agreements, tariffs, taxes, government regulations, etc, I am betting the American dealers pay much more for the Stinger than the Canadian dealers do. Again, I am not an expert so I could be wrong. Anyone around here a banking expert?

EDIT - I can promise you there is not $10K in profit in the Stinger... After selling cars for quite some time, new cars typically do not have a lot of profit...

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
Ok, I am no financial expert, but I don't think that is how it works. Just because a car is $51,894 in one country, doesn't mean that is the same as $41,259 in another when it comes to MSRPs. Just in the few minutes of this thread, the currency converter has changed the US and Canadian dollar value several times. Because of currency values, trade agreements, tariffs, taxes, government regulations, etc, I am betting the American dealers pay much more for the Stinger than the Canadian dealers do. Again, I am not an expert so I could be wrong. Anyone around here a banking expert?

EDIT - I can promise you there is not $10K in profit in the Stinger... After selling cars for quite some time, new cars typically do not have a lot of profit...
It's the simple math of taking something that is listed as CAD and converting that to USD... Not sure where the confusion is at.

The advantage, and why we even are looking at this or discussing it, is because of how weak the Canadian dollar is vs the US dollar.

-Matt

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I have reached out to Kia USA with some question on the matter. I will report back once I speak to them.

-Matt
Great job Matt, I?m really interested in their response.