Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Anyone noticed the Kia Stinger cost much less in Canada than in the US?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
You cannot bring a Canadian Stinger and legalize it in the US, unless it meets the safety requirements and the 25 year old rule that the US has for importing any car.

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
You cannot bring a Canadian Stinger and legalize it in the US, unless it meets the safety requirements and the 25 year old rule that the US has for importing any car.
Wrong. If it meets the standards then it does not need to be 25 years. The 25 year rule is for those vehicle that do not pass FMVSS.

-Matt

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Europe may be different across country lines, but I know in the US, there is no warranty for imported vehicles, at least for KIA. Just the same, if you take a US KIA to Canada, it has to come back to the states for recall or warranty work.
Agree 100%

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
You will have warranty issues if you ship/import a vehicle from the US to Canada or vice versa, even though if you end up saving some money from importing I doubt if it's worthwhile.

Stingers have to maintain a certain value, no matter where on the planet they are being sold, and it's a 'comparitive value' for the people living in that country.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD

tshing02

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA Stinger GT2 AWD
more like $12,000 savings

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
[MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION], any insight from Kia on this subject lol? Still bothers me to see such a drastic price difference.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
[MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION], any insight from Kia on this subject lol? Still bothers me to see such a drastic price difference.
Hahahaha

I can speculate but don't have a true answer unfortunately.

The single largest thing to know is that Kia under prices ALL of their cars in the Canadian market. Sorento, Optima, Cadenza.... The whole line up is much less money.

Now, why? Kia is trying VERY hard to push their dealer network and presence in Canada. They also have a shorter warranty than we do. They also have FAR fewer dealers then we do in their network.

As for buying one and bringing it down, it's tough. You do have to be able to convert the dash to MPH from KPH. You have to pay the import duties. You have to register it and pay your local state fees AFTER having already paid Canadian tax on the vehicle (I believe). Then the truth about the warranty being void here in the states.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
Hahahaha

I can speculate but don't have a true answer unfortunately.

The single largest thing to know is that Kia under prices ALL of their cars in the Canadian market. Sorento, Optima, Cadenza.... The whole line up is much less money.

Now, why? Kia is trying VERY hard to push their dealer network and presence in Canada. They also have a shorter warranty than we do. They also have FAR fewer dealers then we do in their network.

As for buying one and bringing it down, it's tough. You do have to be able to convert the dash to MPH from KPH. You have to pay the import duties. You have to register it and pay your local state fees AFTER having already paid Canadian tax on the vehicle (I believe). Then the truth about the warranty being void here in the states.
It does make some sense, but the price is still drastically lower than what we pay here.

Victor

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2014 Mazda3 GT
It does make some sense, but the price is still drastically lower than what we pay here.
Hey, sorry to dig up this thread. My friend gave me a plausible reason: Canada has a trade deal with South Korea while the USA doesn't, which is why we get par pricing.
It seems to also be the case with VW, which explains how lately their cars seem to price awfully close to USD number-to-number.

Hope this helps. I sure as hell was surprised myself, but this does a decent job explaining that I am content with the huge value we are getting.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Hey, sorry to dig up this thread. My friend gave me a plausible reason: Canada has a trade deal with South Korea while the USA doesn't, which is why we get par pricing.
It seems to also be the case with VW, which explains how lately their cars seem to price awfully close to USD number-to-number.

Hope this helps. I sure as hell was surprised myself, but this does a decent job explaining that I am content with the huge value we are getting.
Can you or he elaborate on the trade deal? I'm intrigued.

Victor

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2014 Mazda3 GT
Can you or he elaborate on the trade deal? I'm intrigued.
I could only find this for now that seemed to indicate some discounts, however it is on the low side for sure
http://openroadautogroup.com/blog/h...aper-thanks-canada-korea-free-trade-agreement
It could be a mix of this and what someone here suggested about deeper market penetration meaning packing more features for the dollar. They would be likely taking advantage of the free trade agreement to make this easier on the loss from lower profits.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
I could only find this for now that seemed to indicate some discounts, however it is on the low side for sure
http://openroadautogroup.com/blog/h...aper-thanks-canada-korea-free-trade-agreement
It could be a mix of this and what someone here suggested about deeper market penetration meaning packing more features for the dollar. They would be likely taking advantage of the free trade agreement to make this easier on the loss from lower profits.
Many thanks Victor.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
The 6.1% is only contributes to about $3k savings. I assume the remaining $7-8k is market penetration or some other government subsidy. Interesting read and thanks for the share.

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
United States?Korea Free Trade Agreement (also known as KORUS FTA)
"The treaty was first signed on June 30, 2007, with a renegotiated version signed in early December 2010."

Victor

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2014 Mazda3 GT
United States?Korea Free Trade Agreement (also known as KORUS FTA)
"The treaty was first signed on June 30, 2007, with a renegotiated version signed in early December 2010."
From the quick glance I took it seemed that the trade deal benefited the US more for sales in Korea than contributing to lower duty domestically. Which makes sense because the big 3 would never allow it.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States

OK... THIS and the following replies relating to US/Canada/S. Korea trade deals makes sense. I knew it had to be something along these lines but I couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks for the info.

Victor

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2014 Mazda3 GT
OK... THIS and the following replies relating to US/Canada/S. Korea trade deals makes sense. I knew it had to be something along these lines but I couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks for the info.
No problem! I have been very surprised by this and remain astounded by the difference in price. I was expecting 60K CAD for the highest trim before they announced the actual pricing so when I first saw it on the Kia Canada site I was wondering if the marketing folks had screwed up the builder's pricing.
Canadians are usually left out cold by auto manufacturer pricing compared to US due to a weaker dollar. This is the first time I feel like we had been given a bone and a few extra features on top of it (minus some additional colours the US gets).

Victor

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2014 Mazda3 GT
That said, even with a big differential in price, nothing can offset the awful lease rates we are getting and their residual for the car.
A 60K Audi A5 Sportback will still cost as much if not less per month. I don't know if Kia will do something about it but putting 900$ CAD a month (4.99% rate with a 21K residual) on a 4 year lease on a 50K car is an awful deal to me. Praying it will get better by June when I turn in my car.

ghedoicy

Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT RWD
[MENTION=477]MarkyMark[/MENTION]

-Matt