Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

You guys think dealers will try to charge over MSRP for the Kia Stinger?

How many people will be willing to pay over MSRP for their Kia Stinger?

• Yes

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 27 73.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Like with any new car, most dealers will try to exploit the market by charging a premium over MSRP. How many people will be willing to pay over MSRP for their Kia Stinger?

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Kia is already aware that this will not sell in large volumes because its a huge underdog. Dealers might keep it at MSRP to start with, but once inventory grows they will need to use discounts to their advantage.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I would never purchase a car over MSRP from any dealer.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Camaro RS, 2014 Corvette, 2009
Dealers must NOT engage in this practice, especially since it's a Kia.

I will not pay MSRP either. I will wait until after supply meets demand to consider purchasing.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Dealers must NOT engage in this practice, especially since it's a Kia.

I will not pay MSRP either. I will wait until after supply meets demand to consider purchasing.
Thats one thing I like about MB is that they do not allow dealers to charge over MSRP.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I can probably see these selling at MSRP for the first few months. Then drop back down.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
I think it'll depend on the demand. For example, in SW South Dakota, a Hellcat sold for $3k above MSRP. Mind you we only have about 70k people in the region so demand here is low. They had two on their lot, an orange challenger and a charcoal charger. I forget which one it was that sold over MSRP. The marketing was way more diverse and spread throughout the world than the Stinger is (even though it has been quite a talk for some time now). I can see why the Hellcat buyers would pay over for it, everyone wants one.

I'm thinking they will start at MSRP in my region just because the demand will be low here, especially for the RWD applications. It does help that they are coming out in the winter because, usually, buyers are wanting 4WD/AWD in bigger SUV's/trucks. I'm hoping they bring a 2.0T and the 3.3TT so I can drive both. I'm really looking forward to what this KIA can do.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I WILL NOT PAY OVER MSRP FOR THE STINGER!!! I really want the Stinger. It's my first pick. But if dealerships do the dealer mark up thing, I'M OUT! If they charge $10k more, I might as well get an Audi S5. For that money, the S5 will have a much better resale value where as the Stinger's will be less. If KIA dealerships get greedy because they think they have a hot seller, sales will fall. ONE of the points of this car is to show the world that KIA can build a world class car. BUT if they don't sell that many, the world will never know how well KIA can build a car. They need to be really careful with the Stinger. And if I was KIA corporate, I would order the dealerships not to mark up the price. I can wait a year before I buy a new car and take advantage of manufacturer incentives. Can KIA wait and possibly lose potential sales? I seriously LOVE the Stinger and I really wish KIA the best of luck with it but if I feel I'm being taken advantage of, well, you lost my sale.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Strictly anecdotal, but, I remember when the Genesis coupe came out, Hyundai dealers were charging over sticker; I remember some attempting 5k over. It's unfortunate, but it happens with something new and hot.

I want to say Kia dealers here tried the same thing with K900 when it first hit, so, that gives me a little concern that some will try the same with the Stinger initially. If so, I'll definitely be walking away and over to BMW for that M3.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
If you guys are contemplating a Stinger, please go check out a Chevy SS. That's what I'll be getting if the Stinger is a bust.

And it'll be a manual [cool]

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
I would never pay over MSRP on anything. If dealers are greedy they won't ever earn my business.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
On my Stinger there was a charge that stated : Market Adjustment $1,595.00 Pinstripe $495.00 I just laughed and told the salesman REALLY? He admitted that it was all fluff... In the end I didn't pay the B/S charges ... But they did try! Also the car had no pinstripe.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
On my Stinger there was a charge that stated : Market Adjustment $1,595.00 Pinstripe $495.00 I just laughed and told the salesman REALLY? He admitted that it was all fluff... In the end I didn't pay the B/S charges ... But they did try! Also the car had no pinstripe.

At least he didn't say it was clear pinstriping[thumb]

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
lol really... They are never satisfied .... New model, not many around...yet? gives them a reason to crank up the price... I guess? I saw several years ago A Ford Gt 300 /500 ? whatever it was Mid engine Sports car at the local stealership ...LOL Sticker said something like $138000.00 But the add on sticker said $250,000.00 ....WHAT? yes a cool quarter million... I asked why and the salesman just said that this is what the owner of the Stealership said that it would take to move it... I just laughed and went on and got me the truck that I had planned on buying.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
lol really... They are never satisfied .... New model, not many around...yet? gives them a reason to crank up the price... I guess? I saw several years ago A Ford Gt 300 /500 ? whatever it was Mid engine Sports car at the local stealership ...LOL Sticker said something like $138000.00 But the add on sticker said $250,000.00 ....WHAT? yes a cool quarter million... I asked why and the salesman just said that this is what the owner of the Stealership said that it would take to move it... I just laughed and went on and got me the truck that I had planned on buying.
And to think the Ford GT's in the Gulf Livery is worth almost $500k now!

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
And to think the Ford GT's in the Gulf Livery is worth almost $500k now!
Crazy thing is if you were lucky enough to get one of them, you've already doubled your investment.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi A4
Like with any new car, most dealers will try to exploit the market by charging a premium over MSRP. How many people will be willing to pay over MSRP for their Kia Stinger?
The dealer I originally ordered the car from initially acted like they were doing me a favor by not charging over MSRP. However, they subsequently indicated they were considering charging over MSRP on future orders.

In any case, they repeatedly put off the delivery date and reneged on some other things they had told me, so I cancelled my order with them. I ended up ordering the car from another dealer (Oakland KIA) who were great to deal with. The car came in when promised, they gave me a nice discount off of MSRP, and they were a pleasure to work with!

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
The dealer I originally ordered the car from initially acted like they were doing me a favor by not charging over MSRP. However, they subsequently indicated they were considering charging over MSRP on future orders.

In any case, they repeatedly put off the delivery date and reneged on some other things they had told me, so I cancelled my order with them. I ended up ordering the car from another dealer (Oakland KIA) who were great to deal with. The car came in when promised, they gave me a nice discount off of MSRP, and they were a pleasure to work with!
Congrats [MENTION=232]treker[/MENTION]

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I'm a tight wad and won't even pay MSRP. LOL

Cars is a depreciating commodity and I try to get the best bang for the buck going in.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
If Kia Corporate wants to sell cars, and they see dealers trying to rape the public with unrealistic fees and charges (compared to honest dealers), I think they will make it known that overcharging is not in Kia's best interests. I think these grossly overcharged, manipulated sticker prices (above Kia MSRP) should be reported to the Kia district reps and corporate headquarters. They can't "make" dealers toe the line, but they can sure let them know that Kia isn't selling as many cars because of it and they don't like it. If you see a bloated sticker, turn it in as a complaint against the dealer.