Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Android Auto or Apple Car Play?

Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?

• Android Auto

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Apple CarPlay

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Both

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Funny, in all the car rewiews i have seen, no one has picked up - connecting via wire

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Main reason for the cable is to keep the phone charged. Between the GPS and streaming audio it will drain the battery very quickly without external power.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
So is it confirmed that I charged the phone completely or it just keep the charge as is

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
So is it confirmed that I charged the phone completely or it just keep the charge as is

For sure, it just holds the charge.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Yeah the cable is just to hold the charge. The port does not have enough juice to charge it while connected with Android auto.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thanks for compiling those videos [MENTION=653]Marc Collins[/MENTION], love those guys.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
The Apple CarPlay support in the Stinger is fantastic.

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD
Apple CarPlay since I own an iPhone

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Neither.

I had never used smartphone integration in a car and was greatly disappointed to find out the phone has to be connected by USB cable. The thing won't work over Bluetooth. Nothing against the Stinger but I'll just listen to my podcasts over Bluetooth and use the built-in GPS system rather than the phone's. Why use my data? And sometimes I'm rushing to work in the morning that I can't deal with pulling the USB cable from somewhere and plug to the phone and all that.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Neither.

I had never used smartphone integration in a car and was greatly disappointed to find out the phone has to be connected by USB cable. The thing won't work over Bluetooth. Nothing against the Stinger but I'll just listen to my podcasts over Bluetooth and use the built-in GPS system rather than the phone's. Why use my data? And sometimes I'm rushing to work in the morning that I can't deal with pulling the USB cable from somewhere and plug to the phone and all that.
I would agree it seems a step backwards. The whole great thing about Bluetooth was that you could just leave your phone in your pocket and use it hands-free. I read somewhere they are working on a protocol to get them to work through Bluetooth, but who knows what the obstacles are? There must be some or it would already be implemented.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
What!? My Samsung S6 phone works with Bluetooth. When I get in the car or leave, the display shows my phone and serial number as "connected" when the phone is there or "disconnected" when I turn the car on and don't have it with me, or turn the phone off. Maybe Apple has a problem?

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What!? My Samsung S6 phone works with Bluetooth. When I get in the car or leave, the display shows my phone and serial number as "connected" when the phone is there or "disconnected" when I turn the car on and don't have it with me, or turn the phone off. Maybe Apple has a problem?
They're talking about Car Play and Android Auto. To use those features the phone has to be plugged into the USB jack.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
I would agree it seems a step backwards. The whole great thing about Bluetooth was that you could just leave your phone in your pocket and use it hands-free. I read somewhere they are working on a protocol to get them to work through Bluetooth, but who knows what the obstacles are? There must be some or it would already be implemented.
A few months back I read that there are already aftermarket head units available that support Bluetooth AA and Car Play. Unfortunately I believe the technology is hardware based so it's unlikely we will ever see it in our Stingers.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
This is for full use of Android Auto? Because that's what we're talking about here, not Bluetooth phone or music connection.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
This is for full use of Android Auto? Because that's what we're talking about here, not Bluetooth phone or music connection.
No just the phone and associated stuff (text, etc.) works with Bluetooth. If you want to use other Android apps like Waze or Google maps, you have to have the phone connected by USB cable. I don't use my fone for music (never tried it) but that may work with BT. The simple answer is, no, you need to be connected by USB to use all of the AA features.

Reactions
City
Wake Forest
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2 (CERSIL/RWD)
Well, FWIW... I have both. I find Apple CarPlay to be a much better interface, and the responsiveness is much quicker. Unlike one of the videos that was posted earlier, I have absolutely no issues with any of the voice commands with Siri. The accuracy is north of 95% and works flawlessly with playing music, getting driving directions, making phone calls and sending and receiving text messages. It also works flawlessly at pulling stock price updates while I?m driving. I?ve tried similar functions with android auto with a little bit less success.

I was a stronger proponent of android at first because it was the only platform that supported Waze navigation. However in recent updates the graphics in Waze continue to degrade and the routing lately is not as good as it used to be. Apple must?ve made some pretty big improvements in their maps application as I find it now includes traffic, and dynamically reroute you based on traffic and estimated arrival times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
City
Wake Forest
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2 (CERSIL/RWD)
Well, FWIW... I have both. I find Apple CarPlay to be a much better interface, and the responsiveness is much quicker. Unlike one of the videos that was posted earlier, I have absolutely no issues with any of the voice commands with Siri. The accuracy is north of 95% and works flawlessly with playing music, getting driving directions, making phone calls and sending and receiving text messages. It also works flawlessly at pulling stock price updates while I?m driving. I?ve tried similar functions with android auto with a little bit less success.

I was a stronger proponent of android at first because it was the only platform that supported Waze navigation. However in recent updates the graphics in Waze continue to degrade and the routing lately is not as good as it used to be. Apple must?ve made some pretty big improvements in their maps application as I find it now includes traffic, and dynamically reroute you based on traffic and estimated arrival times.

By the way, I?m wondering if anybody else is completely bothered by the fact that as soon as you plug either an apple or android phone into the car, you no longer have any ability to use the onboard voice activation system.

I listen to music exclusively from either my android or iPhone, but often I like to use the onboard navigation as it is really nice with the heads up display. Also, you can control the climate system and other features with your voice, but not once you plug a smart phone into the car. Hey soon as you do, the voice button on the steering wheel defaults to either android or Siri.

I feel this would be so easy to provide a solution for this by simply offering a short or long press option on the voice button. For example: a simple short press of less than a second would activate the smart phone that?s plugged into the car. A long press, meaning two seconds or more would default to the onboard voice system.

What do you all think?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
By the way, I?m wondering if anybody else is completely bothered by the fact that as soon as you plug either an apple or android phone into the car, you no longer have any ability to use the onboard voice activation system.

I listen to music exclusively from either my android or iPhone, but often I like to use the onboard navigation as it is really nice with the heads up display. Also, you can control the climate system and other features with your voice, but not once you plug a smart phone into the car. Hey soon as you do, the voice button on the steering wheel defaults to either android or Siri.

I feel this would be so easy to provide a solution for this by simply offering a short or long press option on the voice button. For example: a simple short press of less than a second would activate the smart phone that?s plugged into the car. A long press, meaning two seconds or more would default to the onboard voice system.

What do you all think?

Well, first thing, the AA system using Google maps will also give you up to date traffic info as well as dynamic rerouting via AA. I had it notify me, on a trip to Chicago, that an accident was slowing traffic 63 miles ahead of me and asked if I wanted to reroute around it. 63 miles ahead. LOL I thought it was hilarious.

For the voice system, I am not aware that the car can control the climate system. How are you doing that exactly? Plus, you can still use the voice command through your phone to play the songs from your phone by voice. You also can run the factory navigation system while the phone systems are connected, you just need to enter your destination by voice before plugging in your phone.