Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

RaceChip USA Kia Stinger Tuning

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
It says NOTHING about gap on the plugs. It DOES state that you do not need to replace the factory plugs. They still stand on that point. No aftermarket plugs needed.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger / 2017 Camaro SS
Where/how is the chip installed?
In the engine bay. I can send you the instructions via email, if you are interested. (Just PM me.)​

How many times can Customer Service be used to make a change? And how is that done - I assume it has to be removed from the car?
I am not aware of any limit. I think at some point you will reach a setting where you can't improve it anymore. If you have the app, your chip is connected with our backend. You have to contact us and tell us your order information. We adapt the settings in the backend. You click "update" on the app and download it on your phone. Then you must connect your phone to the RaceChip as usual. The chip must NOT be removed from the car​

There are no changes required to the stock 2018 Kia Stinger (spark plugs, etc.)?
The product is developed for the car in stock condition.​

Can the app change the setting while the chip is installed?
Yes.​

Does the app supply any real-time gauge-type display of things such as boost, fuel trims, etc.?
No​

Will there be "settings" for cars with intake/exhaust upgrades or will these always be custom?
Currently such settings will be custom. I think often you don't even need to change the settings. We will test the RaceChip in combination with an exhaust upgrade and then decide whether we should develop and provide such setting as a standard. However, for now, the answer is no.

Will custom changes be using any logging for optimizing the custom setting?
No. Such logging without logging many more information (e.g. via the OBD port) would not help much. If it is really necessary, we have a tool for that (some selected resellers also have it). However, it is usually not necessary. If you change too much (bigger turbocharger) it might make anyway more sense to directly change the data in the ecu.

THANK YOU!
Thank you for your questions!​
Ok.. [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION], is this post closer? I would assume that spark plugs in stock condition doesn't mean taking stock plugs out and re-gapping them.

I believe it was on an entirely different forum where they stated that there was definitely no requirement to re-gap.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
A German customer sent us his dyno results.

Kia Stinger with cat-back exhaust installed (without RaceChip):
386 PS = 381 HP

View attachment 769

Kia Stinger with cat-back exhaust installed AND RaceChip GTS Black in Race mode:
450 PS = 444 HP

View attachment 768

So he got +63 HP !
Those are incredible numbers by the way.. converting NM to lb/ft they're pushing 533 lb/ft of torque in addition to that 444hp..

This is the reason why it's worth it to me to bite the bullet and re-gap my plugs.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
It says NOTHING about gap on the plugs. It DOES state that you do not need to replace the factory plugs. They still stand on that point. No aftermarket plugs needed.
Dude, they said the chip works with the car in stock condition.

"In stock condition" = "unchanged". How is that so hard for you to understand?

You don't own a Stinger, let alone a RaceChip tuned Stinger. Why are you even fighting with actual customers of both to defend a product you don't and won't own? This makes no sense.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Those are incredible numbers by the way.. converting NM to lb/ft they're pushing 533 lb/ft of torque in addition to that 444hp..

This is the reason why it's worth it to me to bite the bullet and re-gap my plugs.
Those numbers are insane! I just bought a socket extension and gapping tool so I can re-gap mine this weekend. If all works out I'll be reinstallimgy JB4 and running it on map 2 next week.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
[MENTION=444]RaceChip[/MENTION], I have seen you reference 91 fuel as ?mid grade?. Are you referring to 91 octane or 91 ron? Second question is there an octane booster you are aware of that can consistently and measurable increases fuel octane level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
[MENTION=444]RaceChip[/MENTION], I have seen you reference 91 fuel as ?mid grade?. Are you referring to 91 octane or 91 ron? Second question is there an octane booster you are aware of that can consistently and measurable increases fuel octane level?

I'm pretty sure they meant 91 octane as the minimum and 93 octane being the preferred fuel. 91 ron is like 87 octane. I'm also interested in hearing what they say about octane booster though.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
I am talking about octane in the US - meaning AKI or (R+M)/2 and not RON.
So 91 octane is bad fuel quality if you have a Kia Stinger.
93 octane is good fuel quality.
The Race mode is designed for 93-98 octane. With 93 octane fuel, you can use every mode. With 91 octane maximum Sport mode (or mapping 5).

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
Update:
The user with the spark plug issues admitted, that he was driving in Race mode while using 91 octane. (Despite we are recommending at least 93 octane for the Race mode).

So with this updated information, please let me emphasize following:
  1. There has not been a single issue yet with a RaceChip only used with 93 octane.
    [*]There has not been a single issue yet with a RaceChip where the maximum setting used was "Sport" (or 5).
However, we will not change our recommendation again. It's a fact that Kia has some issues with their spark plugs.

EDIT: Due to some misunderstanding, I would like to add following:
It was not the fault of the customer, He was not aware of the recommendation. And this is even not the point. I just tried to explain that the information that an issue occurred with 91 octane and Sport mode, which was shared a few posts ago, was WRONG. The issue occurred with 91 octane and a chip that was used in all modes incl. Race mode.

Last edited:
Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Thanks for the updates [MENTION=444]RaceChip[/MENTION]

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
What about states where 91 is the highest. It seems like I won?t have full range with the product?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Octane confusion.

I am talking about octane in the US - meaning AKI or (R+M)/2 and not RON.
So 91 octane is bad fuel quality if you have a Kia Stinger.
93 octane is good fuel quality.
The Race mode is designed for 93-98 octane. With 93 octane fuel, you can use every mode. With 91 octane maximum Sport mode (or mapping 5).
I am thoroughly confused. Most gas in the us is 89-91/93 octane, with 91 being the highest available in many states such as mine (Cali). Did KIA make a care that is designed to run on fuel you can only get in some places? As far as higher that 93, it is very few and far between that you can find octane ratings that high. I think there is something being lost in translation. [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION] thoughts?

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Update:
The user with the spark plug issues admitted, that he was driving in Race mode while using 91 octane. (Despite we are recommending at least 93 octane for the Race mode).

So with this updated information, please let me emphasize following:
  1. There has not been a single issue yet with a RaceChip only used with 93 octane.
    [*]There has not been a single issue yet with a RaceChip where the maximum setting used was "Sport" (or 5).
However, we will not change our recommendation again. It's a fact that Kia has some issues with their spark plugs.
Thank you for the update. I can't imagine how pissed you are at the retard on the other forum who claimed to have issues running on sport mode, only to find out that he was running 91 octane on race mode. It's amazing how much bad press one piece of misinformation can cause. #fakenews

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
I am thoroughly confused. Most gas in the us is 89-91/93 octane, with 91 being the highest available in many states such as mine (Cali). Did KIA make a care that is designed to run on fuel you can only get in some places? As far as higher that 93, it is very few and far between that you can find octane ratings that high. I think there is something being lost in translation. [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION] thoughts?
Kia says the minimum octane that should go in the Stinger is 89.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Okay [MENTION=430]DBurd[/MENTION], here's what I have and what I know...

The engineers told me that it was rated at and run with a recommended RON95 (91 octane US) or higher. That's what their ratings were tested at for highest power output.

I also know that Kia gave Stingers to the press here in the US for almost an entire year before the public could own it. They were giving the cars out with 91 but I would bet my life that, as the press was beating the CRAP out of this car for a year, many refilled with standard 87. ZERO problems. Not one review or video or write up anywhere with a note of plug failure or misfire. None. I also know that many techs and salesmen fill the cars with 87 at PDI or time of sale.

Here's the final point; I have sitting in front of me the most current owners manual on the newest Stinger I have in stock. The updated sticker in the manual still says "For the OPTIMAL engine performance, we RECOMMEND you use..." RON95/91 octane or higher.

Again, not required. Recommended.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

RwYeAsNt

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thank you for the update. I can't imagine how pissed you are at the retard on the other forum who claimed to have issues running on sport mode, only to find out that he was running 91 octane on race mode. It's amazing how much bad press one piece of misinformation can cause. #fakenews

Hi, I am that "retard" on the other forum. I made an account to answer any questions and help clear things up.

Let me be clear, RaceChip NEVER mentioned any fuel requirements about the chip. Their "recommendation" about 93 octane was made AFTER I brought my issue up to them through forums and through their official support on their website. I am most likely the reason those recommendations were made.I'm not sure if the RaceChip account is run by different people, but we've had this conversation on the other forums. I'm not sure what they are trying here.

When I bought my chip I was assured by RaceChip and at the time they were posting on the forums that it works perfectly with a stock car and no modifications were needed. It was only after I brought my issues to their attention that they have now made new posts recommending 93 octane fuel and regapped spark plugs, so your welcome. You can check the post creation dates if you want a confirmation.

Thanks,

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Hi, I am that "retard" on the other forum. I made an account to answer any questions and help clear things up.

Let me be clear, RaceChip NEVER mentioned any fuel requirements about the chip. Their "recommendation" about 93 octane was made AFTER I brought my issue up to them through forums and through their official support on their website. I am most likely the reason those recommendations were made.I'm not sure if the RaceChip account is run by different people, but we've had this conversation on the other forums. I'm not sure what they are trying here.

When I bought my chip I was assured by RaceChip and at the time they were posting on the forums that it works perfectly with a stock car and no modifications were needed. It was only after I brought my issues to their attention that they have now made new posts recommending 93 octane fuel and regapped spark plugs, so your welcome. You can check the post creation dates if you want a confirmation.

Thanks,
If that truly is the case, I apologize for calling you a retard. I believe that I was one of the early purchasers of the RaceChip, and at the time that I went onto their website, it was stated there that race mode was for 93-98 octane only. I assumed that it had always been there. I purchased the product either the day of or the day after you posted about your misfires.

RwYeAsNt

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
If that truly is the case, I apologize for calling you a retard. I believe that I was one of the early purchasers of the RaceChip, and at the time that I went onto their website, it was stated there that race mode was for 93-98 octane only. I assumed that it had always been there. I purchased the product either the day of or the day after you posted about your misfires.
Yeah I had purchased my chip almost as soon as it was announced. At the time of purchase and installed I couldn't find any mention of octane requirements anywhere on the forums or their website. The included instruction manual also made no mention of this. Once I had my issues, I contacted RaceChip support and have been through a couple emails with them and RaceChip has since posted saying 93 is recommended. I should mention quickly that RaceChip support was excellent, but I believe their instructions need to be more clear for future buyers.

RwYeAsNt

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
To try and clear things up further, it worth mentionning that I was running the Chip for a few days in Race mode with 91 octane. I did get 1 check engine light with a misfire, parked the car for a bit, code went away and so I kept going. It was good for a few days after that. The final day I had the chip, I brought it down to "Sport" and drove like that for the day, it was this day that I got my CEL with Cylinder 1/5/random misfire warnings and the car was screwed from then on, and I couldn't really accelerate with it anymore as it would knock.

This is why in my original post, when people asked what mode I was in specifically when I got the issues, I said Sport mode but I never hid the fact that I drove it in Race mode prior. Now, RaceChip would like to blame the Race mode with 91 prior to all this. Maybe that is the case, I won't argue, it seems to make sense to me. It may very well be that I was getting damage over time and I've said multiple times that it might be purely coincidental that I had dropped it to Sport mode the day the car broke down. I don't know, and with due respect RaceChip doesn't either. We may never know, the fact it is happened, but I haven't seen anyone else really have issues with the chip. I seem to be the first one and maybe the only one, so I'd say with the new recommendation of 93 octane, you'll probably be fine and love the chip.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Yeah I had purchased my chip almost as soon as it was announced. At the time of purchase and installed I couldn't find any mention of octane requirements anywhere on the forums or their website. The included instruction manual also made no mention of this. Once I had my issues, I contacted RaceChip support and have been through a couple emails with them and RaceChip has since posted saying 93 is recommended. I should mention quickly that RaceChip support was excellent, but I believe their instructions need to be more clear for future buyers.
I've been following Racechip's post since I've joined this forum and I've never once seen them made any recommendations specifically for 93 octane and re-gapping plugs until recently. It's really unfair to blame the customer when there's zero fuel requirements listed on their website and press releases.