Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

RaceChip USA Kia Stinger Tuning

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
We will update our recommendation, because Kia in some cases has issues with their spark plugs in combination with bad fuel quality:

Kia Stinger stock spark plugs are designed for good fuel quality. If used with bad or medium fuel quality (91 or lower), in rare cases the spark plugs might get damaged no matter whether the car is tuned or not. For optimum performance and security of the spark plugs, it is beneficial to re-gap the spark plugs to 0.024-0.028 (from stock 0.034-0.036). Beyond that, suitable performance aftermarket spark plugs with a gap of 0.024-0.028 will improve performance and security.
Have you guys had any customers with spark plug problems yet?

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger / 2017 Camaro SS
Have you guys had any customers with spark plug problems yet?
They have.. only one that I know of. A guy from Canada running 91 octane had some misfires. I?ve got a RaceChip, and haven?t had a single issue in well over 500 miles. I have 93 octane available where I?m at though.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
They have.. only one that I know of. A guy from Canada running 91 octane had some misfires. I?ve got a RaceChip, and haven?t had a single issue in well over 500 miles. I have 93 octane available where I?m at though.
We have 93 octane here too but it has Ethanol. Does 93 octane gas in Texas have Ethanol? and did you regap your plugs?

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
We will update our recommendation, because Kia in some cases has issues with their spark plugs in combination with bad fuel quality:

Kia Stinger stock spark plugs are designed for good fuel quality. If used with bad or medium fuel quality (91 or lower), in rare cases the spark plugs might get damaged no matter whether the car is tuned or not. For optimum performance and security of the spark plugs, it is beneficial to re-gap the spark plugs to 0.024-0.028 (from stock 0.034-0.036). Beyond that, suitable performance aftermarket spark plugs with a gap of 0.024-0.028 will improve performance and security.
[MENTION=444]RaceChip[/MENTION] does re-gap apply to the 2.0t too?

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
We have 93 octane here too but it has Ethanol. Does 93 octane gas in Texas have Ethanol? and did you regap your plugs?
I?m pretty sure gas everywhere has ethanol in some percentage or another. I also think that the octane rating is the most important factor.

That said, I haven?t re-gapped my plugs, but now that RaceChip is recommending it, I plan to. I sorta feel like those of us who bought our RaceChip under the impression that we would absolutely not have to regap plugs should have some money refunded... enough to pay to have a professional shop regap our plugs. I?m no mechanic and this is going to cost at least $200.

I probably wouldn?t have spent $750 on a chip knowing that I was going to turn around and spend another chunk of money in order to ensure that I don?t damage my engine.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
I'm pretty sure gas everywhere has ethanol in some percentage or another. I also think that the octane rating is the most important factor.

That said, I haven't re-gapped my plugs, but now that RaceChip is recommending it, I plan to. I sorta feel like those of us who bought our RaceChip under the impression that we would absolutely not have to regap plugs should have some money refunded... enough to pay to have a professional shop regap our plugs. I'm no mechanic and this is going to cost at least $200.

I probably wouldn't have spent $750 on a chip knowing that I was going to turn around and spend another chunk of money in order to ensure that I don't damage my engine.
Gotcha, I wasn't sure if the ethanol mix was just something that was just in IL.

I agree, there's should be a discount or partial refund for early adopters who were sold under the impression the tune can safely run without any modifications to the car.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I?m pretty sure gas everywhere has ethanol in some percentage or another. I also think that the octane rating is the most important factor.

That said, I haven?t re-gapped my plugs, but now that RaceChip is recommending it, I plan to. I sorta feel like those of us who bought our RaceChip under the impression that we would absolutely not have to regap plugs should have some money refunded... enough to pay to have a professional shop regap our plugs. I?m no mechanic and this is going to cost at least $200.

I probably wouldn?t have spent $750 on a chip knowing that I was going to turn around and spend another chunk of money in order to ensure that I don?t damage my engine.
I thought it was clear that the problem occurs with or without chip. KIA should pay, but instead they are putting a sticker over the fuel requirements in the owner's manual saying "premium recommended." They already updated other materials to say that a long while back.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
I thought it was clear that the problem occurs with or without chip. KIA should pay, but instead they are putting a sticker over the fuel requirements in the owner's manual saying "premium recommended." They already updated other materials to say that a long while back.
I think you're partially right.. I have heard of the problem occurring without the chip, but at a much lower percentage of vehicles than those who purchased a chip. That said, RaceChip originally stated that there are zero modifications required, and are now changing their recommendation. That creates a situation where I am now driving at my own risk. I think it's their goof.

If I'm being honest, I plan on keeping the chip whether or not they refund any money. It's that good. I just think it would be a responsible business move on their part to do right by those like myself who took their word as gospel and purchased their product early.

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
I think you're partially right.. I have heard of the problem occurring without the chip, but at a much lower percentage of vehicles than those who purchased a chip. That said, RaceChip originally stated that there are zero modifications required, and are now changing their recommendation. That creates a situation where I am now driving at my own risk. I think it's their goof.

If I'm being honest, I plan on keeping the chip whether or not they refund any money. It's that good. I just think it would be a responsible business move on their part to do right by those like myself who took their word as gospel and purchased their product early.
Dug up their post for you.[twothumb]
In general, you can use the same fuel recommended by the manufacturer/Kia. Please be aware that they changed their recommendation for minimum octane to 91. Pleast do NOT use 87.
However, the better the fuel, the better for the car. We recommend using 93 octane.
Furthermore, we recommend following max settings depending on the fuel type:
91 octane: maximum Map 5
93 octane: maximum Map 7​
Of course, testing the other settings won't harm your car, but in the long run I recommend following these suggestions. Otherwise, the engine might just not run as smooth as it should.

Spark plugs: We develop our tunings to fit the car in stock condition (incl. stock spark plugs). We did not have a single issue during the development as well as testing process. Spark plugs are usually never an issue when using RaceChip.
The pricing will be unveiled next week.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
"Spark plugs are usually never an issue when using RaceChip."

This is still true. We sold more than 500,000 products for 3,000 different car models in the last 10 years. This is the first time that we see a manufacturer having serious quality issues with their spark plugs. This is quite astonishing, because Kia is building great cars nowadays.

One of our customers using 91 octane fuel had issues with his spark plugs. Compared to the quantity of products we sold for the Kia Stinger, this is a very low fraction. However, we want to be always safe, and not just 98% safe. Thus, we want to proactively communicate the safest options for your Kia.

Furthermore, we talked to engineers in South Korea (we have an office in Shanghai and a strong network in South Korea). Kia really seems to have some issues with their spark plugs in combination with bad fuel quality.

Following, we are recommending for a long time now:
NOTICE: The setting "Race" (or mapping 6 or 7) is designed for octane 93-98. Do not use it with 91 octane.
NOTICE: The minimum octane level for using a RaceChip in the Kia Stinger is 91.​

This addition is new:
Kia Stinger stock spark plugs are designed for good fuel quality. If used with bad or medium fuel quality (91 or lower), in rare cases the spark plugs might get damaged no matter whether the car is tuned or not. For optimum performance and security of the spark plugs, it is beneficial to re-gap the spark plugs to 0.024-0.028 (from stock 0.034-0.036). Beyond that, suitable performance aftermarket spark plugs with a gap of 0.024-0.028 will improve performance and security.​

[MENTION=444]RaceChip[/MENTION], to be absolutely clear your tune doesn't require aftermarket plugs and just regap stock plugs right?
Is the regap required if you are running 93 or higher octane?
According to present knowledge, regapping the stock plugs helps to prevent the misfire.
According to present knowledge, I have not heard of any issues (with or without chip) with 93 octane with Kia Stinger spark plugs in stock condition.

The Kia Stinger is not made for E-fuels (e.g. E85), so please don't use it. However, it is true that regular fuel contains a small % Ethanol. That's normal.

[MENTION=444]RaceChip[/MENTION] does re-gap apply to the 2.0t too?
This RaceChip product is not available yet. Thus, I can't make final statements. However, from what I've heard, Kia has some issues there, too.
Interesting: We are currently testing the engine intensively and have seen no issues at all.

Kia was replacing the spark plugs of this customer without any questions, so they are aware of the problems and want to solve it with as little noise as possible.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Since it was originally posted that there won't be any problems running stock plugs, is [MENTION=444]RaceChip[/MENTION] going to reimburse some people for the cost of labor to get their plugs regapped? The problem is even if you were to get your plugs replaced under warranty, the dealers aren't going to gap them any different other than stock, so for people that aren't mechanically savvy they'll need to pay someone to have them regapped.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
A German customer sent us his dyno results.

Kia Stinger with cat-back exhaust installed (without RaceChip):
386 PS = 381 HP

Kia_Stinger_exhaust.jpg

Kia Stinger with cat-back exhaust installed AND RaceChip GTS Black in Race mode:
450 PS = 444 HP

Kia_Stinger_exhaust+RaceChip.jpg

So he got +63 HP !

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
Since it was originally posted that there won't be any problems running stock plugs, is [MENTION=444]RaceChip[/MENTION] going to reimburse some people for the cost of labor to get their plugs regapped? The problem is even if you were to get your plugs replaced under warranty, the dealers aren't going to gap them any different other than stock, so for people that aren't mechanically savvy they'll need to pay someone to have them regapped.
Honestly, I don't know the specification of the replacement plugs. Kia would not be very smart if they would install faulty spark plugs for a second time. Unless they need more time to solve this issue. Processes are slow in big companies...

We can adapt the settings of your RaceChip so that you do not have to re-gap your spark plugs (of course free of charge). Then you are able to run 91 octane without having to re-gap your plugs. However, this will result in slightly less power. Once Kia fixed this issue (e.g. through a recall), our customer support can maximize the power output again.
We do not reimburse for the cost of labor to get your plugs regapped. However, if you are not satisfied with your RaceChip product, please contact our customer support. We'll find a solution.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Listen... for ANYONE that is taking a new car and trying to do anything outside of factory spec with the vehicle, it is common sense that you are taking a risk of breaking something. Period. If you leave the car stock and it fails, Kia is willing to take that responsibility. If you modify your car, YOU are now assuming ALL responsibility for future failure.

It is NOT the responsibility of [MENTION=444]RaceChip[/MENTION] or [MENTION=77]Paul@K8StingerStore[/MENTION] or JB4 or anyone else besides the owner that decides to modify their vehicle. Everyone in the aftermarket realm is swimming in uncharted waters and cannot/will not (go back and reread the post) promise customers a fail proof experience.

I mean, we've got guys tearing up their cars simply trying to remove the Kia badges and you want to be upset at someone who is trying to code their way into your HP banks? Come on folks...

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Listen... for ANYONE that is taking a new car and trying to do anything outside of factory spec with the vehicle, it is common sense that you are taking a risk of breaking something. Period. If you leave the car stock and it fails, Kia is willing to take that responsibility. If you modify your car, YOU are now assuming ALL responsibility for future failure.

It is NOT the responsibility of [MENTION=444]RaceChip[/MENTION] or [MENTION=77]Paul@K8StingerStore[/MENTION] or JB4 or anyone else besides the owner that decides to modify their vehicle. Everyone in the aftermarket realm is swimming in uncharted waters and cannot/will not (go back and reread the post) promise customers a fail proof experience.

I mean, we've got guys tearing up their cars simply trying to remove the Kia badges and you want to be upset at someone who is trying to code their way into your HP banks? Come on folks...
I'm not personally upset with anyone, and as I've stated on several threads, I love the RaceChip. I believe that the complaint is that RaceChip specifically stated that those who purchased their product would not have to re-gap plugs, and are now changing that recommendation. I want to be clear here and state that it wasn't like they said that it's probably good to re-gap, but that it was mostly unnecessary. They stated in black and white that it was absolutely unnecessary to re-gap plugs. This alone factored into my decision to purchase this particular piggyback. Since not everyone is a mechanic and may not feel comfortable doing this work themselves, it would seem that we now have incurred an additional cost for a product that was sold as 100% plug and play.

I get the risks of modifying a vehicle, but I feel like several of us were misled. In the end, I don't care what RaceChip does. What I will say is that if it were my business, I would consider taking care of customers who had to pay unforeseen cost because I misinformed them.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I'm not personally upset with anyone, and as I've stated on several threads, I love the RaceChip. I believe that the complaint is that RaceChip specifically stated that those who purchased their product would not have to re-gap plugs, and are now changing that recommendation. I want to be clear here and state that it wasn't like they said that it's probably good to re-gap, but that it was mostly unnecessary. They stated in black and white that it was absolutely unnecessary to re-gap plugs. This alone factored into my decision to purchase this particular piggyback. Since not everyone is a mechanic and may not feel comfortable doing this work themselves, it would seem that we now have incurred an additional cost for a product that was sold as 100% plug and play.

I get the risks of modifying a vehicle, but I feel like several of us were misled. In the end, I don't care what RaceChip does. What I will say is that if it were my business, I would consider taking care of customers who had to pay unforeseen cost because I misinformed them.
Can you provide a copy of the post that stated that the plugs did not need to be re-gaped?

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Can you provide a copy of the post that stated that the plugs did not need to be re-gaped?
Actually, someone already dug it up for me - toward the bottom of page 15 of this thread.