Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

RaceChip USA Kia Stinger Tuning

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
I hate to be that guy but why not..

Any group buy or early adopter pricing for being a test pilot?... lol
I am planning to organize a discount of $100 for forum members. However, I do not have a final confirmation from the management yet. One reason is that we would like to wait for the feedback of the first US installations. Please contact me via PM if you don't want to wait and we'll arrange something.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
How does the mapping work for sport, eco, etc when the car also has these settings? Looks interesting
If you do not have the app, you have those 7 settings (GTS and GTS Black).
If you have the app, you only have the three driving modes (Efficiency, Sport, Race). The reason is that we made the experience that people like a "tidy" app interface with not too many buttons. Furthermore, you can always contact our customer service, to get the settings changed. This means you actually have more than 3 or 7 options. For the non-app version, 7 settings are beneficial, because you can't get them changed whithout sending the product to us.
Other than that, the settings are quite similar. An example would be comparing "Race" to 7 (or 6), "Sport" to 5 or "Efficiency" to 3 (this is just an example!).

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
If you do not have the app, you have those 7 settings (GTS and GTS Black).
If you have the app, you only have the three driving modes (Efficiency, Sport, Race). The reason is that we made the experience that people like a "tidy" app interface with not too many buttons. Furthermore, you can always contact our customer service, to get the settings changed. This means you actually have more than 3 or 7 options. For the non-app version, 7 settings are beneficial, because you can't get them changed whithout sending the product to us.
Other than that, the settings are quite similar. An example would be comparing "Race" to 7 (or 6), "Sport" to 5 or "Efficiency" to 3 (this is just an example!).
The stinger has its own driving modes - comfort, sport, eco, custom that the driver can choose from. How does the chip interact with them or does it matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Where/how is the chip installed?

How many times can Customer Service be used to make a change? And how is that done - I assume it has to be removed from the car?

There are no changes required to the stock 2018 Kia Stinger (spark plugs, etc.)?

Can the app change the setting while the chip is installed?

Does the app supply any real-time gauge-type display of things such as boost, fuel trims, etc.?

Will there be "settings" for cars with intake/exhaust upgrades or will these always be custom?

Will custom changes be using any logging for optimizing the custom setting?

THANK YOU!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
The stinger has its own driving modes - comfort, sport, eco, custom that the driver can choose from. How does the chip interact with them or does it matter?
They work perfectly well together. You can still use all driving modes when you have the performance upgrade.
The different driving modes change different things, but not the real power output. They can be compared to our throttle tuning XLR, which shortens the response time of the car.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
In the engine bay. I can send you the instructions via email, if you are interested. (Just PM me.)​

How many times can Customer Service be used to make a change? And how is that done - I assume it has to be removed from the car?
I am not aware of any limit. I think at some point you will reach a setting where you can't improve it anymore. If you have the app, your chip is connected with our backend. You have to contact us and tell us your order information. We adapt the settings in the backend. You click "update" on the app and download it on your phone. Then you must connect your phone to the RaceChip as usual. The chip must NOT be removed from the car​

There are no changes required to the stock 2018 Kia Stinger (spark plugs, etc.)?
The product is developed for the car in stock condition.​

Yes.​

Does the app supply any real-time gauge-type display of things such as boost, fuel trims, etc.?
No​

Will there be "settings" for cars with intake/exhaust upgrades or will these always be custom?
Currently such settings will be custom. I think often you don't even need to change the settings. We will test the RaceChip in combination with an exhaust upgrade and then decide whether we should develop and provide such setting as a standard. However, for now, the answer is no.

No. Such logging without logging many more information (e.g. via the OBD port) would not help much. If it is really necessary, we have a tool for that (some selected resellers also have it). However, it is usually not necessary. If you change too much (bigger turbocharger) it might make anyway more sense to directly change the data in the ecu.

THANK YOU!
Thank you for your questions!​

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Another question, Race Chip.

Are there different settings based on what octane fuel you're using? Are certain octanes recommended?

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
In the engine bay. I can send you the instructions via email, if you are interested. (Just PM me.)​

I am not aware of any limit. I think at some point you will reach a setting where you can't improve it anymore. If you have the app, your chip is connected with our backend. You have to contact us and tell us your order information. We adapt the settings in the backend. You click "update" on the app and download it on your phone. Then you must connect your phone to the RaceChip as usual. The chip must NOT be removed from the car​

The product is developed for the car in stock condition.​

Yes.​

No​

Currently such settings will be custom. I think often you don't even need to change the settings. We will test the RaceChip in combination with an exhaust upgrade and then decide whether we should develop and provide such setting as a standard. However, for now, the answer is no.

No. Such logging without logging many more information (e.g. via the OBD port) would not help much. If it is really necessary, we have a tool for that (some selected resellers also have it). However, it is usually not necessary. If you change too much (bigger turbocharger) it might make anyway more sense to directly change the data in the ecu.

THANK YOU!
Thank you for your questions!​
Excellent response. Thank you for your investment in time on this forum. I'll have another question or two for you soon enough, I'm sure!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT Limited
Is this module able to be removed and no trace left that Kia would see and void warranty work?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
It is a piggy back chip, so it can be removed without leaving trace or voiding warranties.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
The car is in stock condition again after the RaceChip was removed.

It is important the the same process as during the installation is applied:
1) Open the hood
2) Lock the car
3) Wait for at least 10 minutes before disconnecting the plugs

The reason is that otherwise residual currents might still exist. If you disconnect the plugs immediately, you might get check engine lights.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
I am glad to tell you that I got the final ok for the group buy. The first installations and tests in the US were very successful.

The coupon code is following:
KIA_STINGER

The discount is $100 on GTS and GTS Black.
The coupon is valid until further notice.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Awesome!!!

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
The JB1 looks really tempting at $200, but patiently waiting for feedback on this before I decide.[biggrin]

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Are you 100% sure no spark plug change needed? Also if removed can dealer detect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A dealer cannot detect a piggy back chip if it's removed.

Anytime you're going to push an engine, it's always a good idea to upgrade your plugs and filters.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
A dealer cannot detect a piggy back chip if it's removed.

Anytime you're going to push an engine, it's always a good idea to upgrade your plugs and filters.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Agreed. Piggybacks cannot be detected by dealers.

Also no spark plug change/upgrade required as these are what could be called mild tunes using all stock parts, since we cannot yet control AFR's with precision.
The only time you will need to replace/upgrade spark plugs is when boost is increased significantly and fuel mixture is increased as well. Other chips causing problems with OEM spark plugs is due to incorrect maps/tune tables.