Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

2018 Kia Stinger takes the Kia brand to a whole new level

Kia Stinger News

Staff Member
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
South Korea

Everything you think you know about Kia is wrong.

Don't worry, you're not alone. I was wrong, too, until I logged a couple hundred miles in a 2018 Kia Stinger GT that was fresh from hitting 167 miles per hour on Germany's famed N?rburging race course.

I had the bright red, 365-horsepower twin-turbocharged Stinger for 48 hours, and I want more. The test was too brief for a full review but more than long enough to know that the Stinger fulfills its corporate mission: change how people think of Kia with a car that handles like a top sport sedan and looks like nothing else on the road.

The Stinger rolls into Kia dealerships later this year with prices starting at $31,900 for a base 253-horsepower rear-wheel-drive model with a 253-horsepower 2-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine. I tested a nearly fully loaded Stinger GT with a 3.3-liter, 6-cylinder twin-turbo that pumps out 365 horsepower, 376 pound-feet of torque and accelerates to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds. It stickered at $49,500. A sport-tuned 8-speed automatic transmission is standard. All-wheel drive is a $2,200 option on all models.

This is a modal window.

That's a lot of money for a Kia, the brand best known for commercials featuring spunky hamsters and the cute and boxy $16,100 Soul.

It's tempting to assume the Stinger, with its Euro-style looks and chassis, is Kia's prelude to a premium brand. That's the strategy Kia's corporate sibling employed with Genesis, which debuted as a single sport sedan and morphed into a luxury brand.

Kia executives swear that's not the case. They say the Stinger exists to improve the whole brand's image, ushering in other premium models and making everything from the Soul to sport-utility vehicles such as the Sportage and Sorento seem just a bit more special.

The next step in Kia's evolution is likely to be a luxurious and sporty SUV, possibly based on the classy Telluride concept the brand unveiled at the North American International Auto Show a couple of years ago.

First, the Stinger must make its mark. Key to that are more power, more room, a longer wheelbase and overall length than established luxury models such as the Audi A5 Sportback, BMW 4-series Gran Coupe and Infiniti Q50 3.0L. Those cars and others, including the Lexus GS, are the Stinger's official targets, but it'll be a long, difficult road before many Audi, BMW Lexus or Infiniti owners are willing to consider Kia, despite the Stinger's lower prices. It wouldn't be surprising to see the Kia initially target shoppers moving up from cars such as the Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and Toyota Camry.

Available features include adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, heated and cooled front seats, 720-watt Harman Kardon audio and more.

The Stinger's performance and value make a strong case for buyers looking to step up.

The steering is sharp and responsive. Acceleration is definitely in the big leagues. The bi-turbo 6-cylinder engine's 4.7-second 0-to-60 time is quicker than the supercharged Audi A7 Sportback, BMW 4- and 6-series Gran Coupes, Q50 3-liter and Lexus GS 350. EPA fuel economy ratings aren't available yet.

Kia hasn't revealed the Stinger's weight or weight distribution, but the car's acceleration and handling suggest both are competitive with Audi, BMW, Lexus and Infiniti.

The Stinger's interior is accommodating and attractive, with leather trim and controls that include Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, voice recognition, touch-screen, buttons and dials. The interior of my test car was nearly all black, a solemnity that will be familiar to owners of German luxury brands.

The Stinger's sleek shape cleverly disguises a hatchback's cargo space with sedan-style looks, ? la the Porsche Panamera.

The hood, nose and front fenders pose the question, "How many air vents with glossy black and shiny chrome trim are too many?"