Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia Stinger Magnaflow Exhaust

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
That almost sounds stock lol. Do love that it has zero drone noise.
Its quieter than the stock 3.3T..it sounds like my 2.0T haha.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
Its just about right for me at WOT. Hopefully they'll produce both versions and not just the louder one.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA STINGER 3.3TT GT1 AWD
We did unfortunately the car in general has quite a bit of drone. Youll see all the companies releasing systems have quite a few resonators and different mufflers to combat the drone.
Downside is it also kills volume

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
We did unfortunately the car in general has quite a bit of drone. Youll see all the companies releasing systems have quite a few resonators and different mufflers to combat the drone.
Downside is it also kills volume
Ah that's what I was afraid of, so are they planning on trying a new muffler?

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
A little too quiet for being a Magnaflow system but at least its not raspy.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
So we were the ones working with Magnaflow to develop this system
After some discussion Magnaflow may be doing a second version of this system for the "louder" crowd

Since this design has zero drone but also isnt very loud
Thanks for all of this!

I've had Magnaflow products before and, while sometimes the fitment needs a bit of persuasion, they've always delivered on performance and sound. Will there be any dyno charts for this exhaust?

Also, you mentioned another version may be in the works - any chance of an electronic cutout?

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Ok so I had a lengthy phone call with sales & product dev over at Magnaflow this afternoon and got some solid, confirmed info. Here are a couple of my notes...

- The 3.3L engine is being developed now as we know. They basically finished up the overall R&D process and and will have 4 weeks of additional testing on it before they move onto the actual production phase.
- After that, they will then make another version (for the "I want it louder" crowd), take care of the fitting/final tweaks and do another 4 week so testing.
- Assuming both of those final pre-production tests go smoothly, they will release the exhaust with a potentially revised part number and "official" availability.
- The ETA, if we're being realistic here, would be around June or July for them to be on the market.

As for the 2.0, they simply don't have a car yet, so figure most likely be towards the end of the summer for this to be released. (August probably). I?ll follow up with them in a month and see how things are going, but any 2.0L guys out in SoCal...there could potentially be a need for a test car!

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Thanks for all of this!

I've had Magnaflow products before and, while sometimes the fitment needs a bit of persuasion, they've always delivered on performance and sound. Will there be any dyno charts for this exhaust?

Also, you mentioned another version may be in the works - any chance of an electronic cutout?
Two things that Magnaflow IS NOT known for....performance and dyno charts. Don't expect to see either from them--and especially forget the idea of an actuator assembly option.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Ok so I had a lengthy phone call with sales & product dev over at Magnaflow this afternoon and got some solid, confirmed info. Here are a couple of my notes...

- The 3.3L engine is being developed now as we know. They basically finished up the overall R&D process and and will have 4 weeks of additional testing on it before they move onto the actual production phase.
- After that, they will then make another version (for the "I want it louder" crowd), take care of the fitting/final tweaks and do another 4 week so testing.
- Assuming both of those final pre-production tests go smoothly, they will release the exhaust with a potentially revised part number and "official" availability.
- The ETA, if we're being realistic here, would be around June or July for them to be on the market.

As for the 2.0, they simply don't have a car yet, so figure most likely be towards the end of the summer for this to be released. (August probably). I?ll follow up with them in a month and see how things are going, but any 2.0L guys out in SoCal...there could potentially be a need for a test car!
Excellent info thanks Mike

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Two things that Magnaflow IS NOT known for....performance and dyno charts. Don't expect to see either from them--and especially forget the idea of an actuator assembly option.
While I can't say I recall every seeing a dyno chart directly from Magnaflow, I have owned vehicles that benefited from Magnaflow's interpretation of exhaust sound and, yes, performance increases, as confirmed by independent dynos. Sound is a huge factor in exhausts. And it's a very personal thing.

I find your perspective on them interesting since you sell, and therefore, represent their products.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
While I can't say I recall every seeing a dyno chart directly from Magnaflow, I have owned vehicles that benefited from Magnaflow's interpretation of exhaust sound and, yes, performance increases, as confirmed by independent dynos. Sound is a huge factor in exhausts. And it's a very personal thing.

I find your perspective on them interesting since you sell, and therefore, represent their products.
Don't get me wrong...their exhausts surely do have a performance benefit. I just wouldn't bank on them being the go-to for high hp numbers. Magnaflow seems to concentrate on sound as their primary concern. If they really wanted to stress performance gains as a huge plus, they'd have dyno charts for each and every product they make, not to mention centering their marketing around it. It's just simply not what they do. Hope this clarifies.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What were their goals with this setup? Seems like they wanted to make a less restricted system with a quieter than stock noise level. But is it even less restrictive since they added in the resonators?

Seems like a step in the wrong direction.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
What were their goals with this setup? Seems like they wanted to make a less restricted system with a quieter than stock noise level. But is it even less restrictive since they added in the resonators?

Seems like a step in the wrong direction.
It would be very hard to make an exhaust system that is more restrictive than stock. Here's a section of the stock exhaust.[biggrin]

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
It would be very hard to make an exhaust system that is more restrictive than stock. Here's a section of the stock exhaust.[biggrin]
That's gotta be a joke. What is that? Down pipe?

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
That's gotta be a joke. What is that? Down pipe?
Sadly its not, the crimps in the pipe are there to provide ground clearance under the rear axles.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
So I'm assuming aftermarket exhausts are eliminating that crimp and negatively effecting clearance in that area?

Still not sure who Magnaflow is marketing this setup towards. People who want a better flowing exhaust coupled with a quieter than stock exhaust note? I would think even old people and women (no offense to either) would want MORE sound from their new exhaust, not less (even if only a little bit more).

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
So I'm assuming aftermarket exhausts are eliminating that crimp and negatively effecting clearance in that area?

Still not sure who Magnaflow is marketing this setup towards. People who want a better flowing exhaust coupled with a quieter than stock exhaust note? I would think even old people and women (no offense to either) would want MORE sound from their new exhaust, not less (even if only a little bit more).
I don't think Magnaflow is sure either hence they are producing another version LOL.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
I don't find it to be quieter than stock at all. It's louder and has a different quality. Now, it's not loud, no, but...

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
I don't find it to be quieter than stock at all. It's louder and has a different quality. Now, it's not loud, no, but...
Have you heard it in person or are you judging it based on the video from page 4? The video shared on page 4 sounds quieter than stock. You can't even hear the car start up.