Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Catch Can Thread

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
The nipple coming out of the crank case takes a 5/16 "inside" diameter hose, so the inlet hose that came in the kit is 3/8 inside diameter, so I had to buy a reducer to merry the two together. It wasn't that big of a deal , I'm just anal about my car on how it runs an performs. hope this helps you.
Thanks yes, I should get my kit this weekend and I found a mechanic shop that will install but I may see about ordering the right sized tubes for the job if I get the wrong size. I'll wait to see what they send as maybe they sent the wrong tubes out on yours perhaps but if not I can order some.

Did you have a specific brand you used for the tubes is there like a specific type of tube you need etc?

Thx

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Thanks yes, I should get my kit this weekend and I found a mechanic shop that will install but I may see about ordering the right sized tubes for the job if I get the wrong size. I'll wait to see what they send as maybe they sent the wrong tubes out on yours perhaps but if not I can order some.

Did you have a specific brand you used for the tubes is there like a specific type of tube you need etc?

Thx
I used the same type of hose that came with the kit just a smaller size.

I called David at K8 stinger store an talk to him about the ADD W1 V3 baffled catch can and he told me hes's had no one call up or email him to tell him the hoses don't fit. We had a long conversation about the ADD W1 an come to the conclusion that I either got the wrong hoses or the 2019 Stinger GT1 model is different from the 2018 model, so at the end of our conversation David gave me ADD W1 Email address to ask them if there's a difference between the 2018 & the 2019 model years down by the PCV Valve nipple.

If you need help installing the catch can I would do it for you, it wouldn't be a problem, so you don't have to spend the money on a shop to do it. Only if your comfortable with that.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
I used the same type of hose that came with the kit just a smaller size.

I called David at K8 stinger store an talk to him about the ADD W1 V3 baffled catch can and he told me hes's had no one call up or email him to tell him the hoses don't fit. We had a long conversation about the ADD W1 an come to the conclusion that I either got the wrong hoses or the 2019 Stinger GT1 model is different from the 2018 model, so at the end of our conversation David gave me ADD W1 Email address to ask them if there's a difference between the 2018 & the 2019 model years down by the PCV Valve nipple.

If you need help installing the catch can I would do it for you, it wouldn't be a problem, so you don't have to spend the money on a shop to do it. Only if your comfortable with that.

Thanks for the Info, It is supposed to come this weekend so I may take a crack at it, the more I'm looking on here the easier and the more comfortable I think it is for me to do this mod. If not I'll def let you know since we are close and I appreciate the offer.

It looks like the kit comes with instructions too, I'm curious about the size difference now as I have a 2019 GT2 so I wonder if the sizes are different from 2018 but I can't imagine why they would change that. I'm thinking of also putting a check valve on it as I've read in other Catch Can forums that people had problems with leaking and gas smells so I wonder if that will help as it doesn't seem like it will hurt anything. I'm curious to see how much this collects out her in AZ as it seems that the climate impacts the amount of moisture that these collect.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Thanks for the Info, It is supposed to come this weekend so I may take a crack at it, the more I'm looking on here the easier and the more comfortable I think it is for me to do this mod. If not I'll def let you know since we are close and I appreciate the offer.

It looks like the kit comes with instructions too, I'm curious about the size difference now as I have a 2019 GT2 so I wonder if the sizes are different from 2018 but I can't imagine why they would change that. I'm thinking of also putting a check valve on it as I've read in other Catch Can forums that people had problems with leaking and gas smells so I wonder if that will help as it doesn't seem like it will hurt anything. I'm curious to see how much this collects out her in AZ as it seems that the climate impacts the amount of moisture that these collect.
I don't think we have to worry about moisture to much here in Arizona, I haven't put a check valve on mine yet. I don't have a heavy foot so I don't worry about it that much. When you put a tune on the car to run more boost then I wood run a check valve and a second catch can. The bigger of the two hoses that come in the kit goes to the manifold nipple, your going to have too use the stock hose clamp that comes off the stock hose. It will be a tight fit on the hose from the kit. Put the clamp on the hose where you wont the clamp to be & push it on. Remember its plastic so be careful. DONT USE THOSE HOSE CLAMPS ON THE MANIFOLD, YOU JUST DONT KNOW HOW TIGHT THOSE THINGS ARE. Look at my picture & the hose clamp at the manifold, where the hose clamp is, where I clamped it when I push it on the manifold. If you need a hand, I'll be here.

I did get two longer screws to mount the catch can on the bracket, I'd rather be safe then sorry. :)

I found the baggy the reducer I bought & here's a picture for you. I know your thinking the sizes don't match up to the hoses, but it is a tight fit, no hose clamps have to be used. You can make the hose pliable by putting the hose on a smooth surface and hit the end of the hose with a rubber hammer about 10 to 15 time. " NO SUPER HARD BUT NICE AND CONSISTANT. That makes the rubber pliable to get over the reducer.

REMEBER, THE HOSE YOU NEED FOR THE CRANK CASE NIPPLE IS 5/16 INSIDE DIAMETER.

20190201_193205.jpg 20190131_144429.jpg

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
I don't think we have to worry about moisture to much here in Arizona, I haven't put a check valve on mine yet. I don't have a heavy foot so I don't worry about it that much. When you put a tune on the car to run more boost then I wood run a check valve and a second catch can. The bigger of the two hoses that come in the kit goes to the manifold nipple, your going to have too use the stock hose clamp that comes off the stock hose. It will be a tight fit on the hose from the kit. Put the clamp on the hose where you wont the clamp to be & push it on. Remember its plastic so be careful. DONT USE THOSE HOSE CLAMPS ON THE MANIFOLD, YOU JUST DONT KNOW HOW TIGHT THOSE THINGS ARE. Look at my picture & the hose clamp at the manifold, where the hose clamp is, where I clamped it when I push it on the manifold. If you need a hand, I'll be here.

I did get two longer screws to mount the catch can on the bracket, I'd rather be safe then sorry. :)

I found the baggy the reducer I bought & here's a picture for you. I know your thinking the sizes don't match up to the hoses, but it is a tight fit, no hose clamps have to be used. You can make the hose pliable by putting the hose on a smooth surface and hit the end of the hose with a rubber hammer about 10 to 15 time. " NO SUPER HARD BUT NICE AND CONSISTANT. That makes the rubber pliable to get over the reducer.

REMEBER, THE HOSE YOU NEED FOR THE CRANK CASE NIPPLE IS 5/16 INSIDE DIAMETER.

View attachment 2043 View attachment 2044

Thanks again for the info, still waiting for the kit but I took a look at the connections. What's the easiest way to get to that back clamp to get it off, It looks like there is some electrical plugs and things in the way. Did you disconnect those or just try to find someway to work around it?

I figure if the hoses are not right I can always put it back the way it was and get the reducer if I need it.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Thanks again for the info, still waiting for the kit but I took a look at the connections. What's the easiest way to get to that back clamp to get it off, It looks like there is some electrical plugs and things in the way. Did you disconnect those or just try to find someway to work around it?

I figure if the hoses are not right I can always put it back the way it was and get the reducer if I need it.
The electrical plug, just pull straight up on it. It slides off the bracket, you don't have to pull very hard, it just slides off.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
The electrical plug, just pull straight up on it. It slides off the bracket, you don't have to pull very hard, it just slides off.

Ok I got the clip off the top the hose is off on the front but in the back that thing is stuck on pretty good got the hose clip off but the hose is still in pretty deep, do you just yank on that until it comes off? Compared to the other side it was easy slid right off this one seems to have more grip. I'll keep working on it.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Ok I got the clip off the top the hose is off on the front but in the back that thing is stuck on pretty good got the hose clip off but the hose is still in pretty deep, do you just yank on that until it comes off? Compared to the other side it was easy slid right off this one seems to have more grip. I'll keep working on it.
The hose down on the crank case, just twist and poll, it will come off.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
The hose down on the crank case, just twist and poll, it will come off.
Ok I think I got it.. Turned car on, no noises coming from any of the hoses, took dip stick out has a nice suction going on in there, so I think I'm good now. Thanks again for all the help. I think I was overthinking the complexity of this. Only thing I did do was lose a little hex attachment from my screwdriver I think it fell on the plastic cover at the bottom of the car but I couldn't find it probably will come out when I'm driving.

I used the hoses that came with. I just tightened the crap out of the hose clamps to hope it seals it enough. Oil catch can stinger 3.jpg Oil catch can stinger 2.jpg thumbnail.jpg

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Ok I think I got it.. Turned car on, no noises coming from any of the hoses, took dip stick out has a nice suction going on in there, so I think I'm good now. Thanks again for all the help. I think I was overthinking the complexity of this. Only thing I did do was lose a little hex attachment from my screwdriver I think it fell on the plastic cover at the bottom of the car but I couldn't find it probably will come out when I'm driving.

I used the hoses that came with. I just tightened the crap out of the hose clamps to hope it seals it enough. View attachment 2045 View attachment 2046 View attachment 2047
Be careful on the intake manifold, if you tighten it to much you can break the nipple off, its plastic. Listen close for that hiss noise & move the hoses around a little bit to be sure, around the intake manifold & the crank case nipple.

Just asking, did you used Teflon tape on the nipples for the catch can.

Just as a precaution I put a second nut on the bar mount to lock it in place just so it doesn't vibrate loose. Here's a picture!!!

View attachment 2048

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
anybody have a quick way to get the hose off the top manifold? damn thing is on there good.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Be careful on the intake manifold, if you tighten it to much you can break the nipple off, its plastic. Listen close for that hiss noise & move the hoses around a little bit to be sure, around the intake manifold & the crank case nipple.

Just asking, did you used Teflon tape on the nipples for the catch can.

Just as a precaution I put a second nut on the bar mount to lock it in place just so it doesn't vibrate loose. Here's a picture!!!

View attachment 2048
Yeah I was more worried removing the hose than tightening it, had a much better angle but it didn't break and has a good seal. I did use Teflon tape and screwed those into the can tight so I think I'm all set. It is strange the sizes are so different though if it's one hose connecting them not sure why you need two different sizes of hose why not just keep all the sizes the same?

I'll take it for a drive tomorrow and will check on it but everything is pretty solid so I don't think anything is escaping.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Yeah I was more worried removing the hose than tightening it, had a much better angle but it didn't break and has a good seal. I did use Teflon tape and screwed those into the can tight so I think I'm all set. It is strange the sizes are so different though if it's one hose connecting them not sure why you need two different sizes of hose why not just keep all the sizes the same?

I'll take it for a drive tomorrow and will check on it but everything is pretty solid so I don't think anything is escaping.
I'm glad everything installed ok for you, periodically check the nut for the mounting bar & the two screws that hold the catch can to the mounting bar to make sure the y are still tight. If you drive on ruff roads a lot, sometimes those nuts and screws can come loose.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
I'm glad everything installed ok for you, periodically check the nut for the mounting bar & the two screws that hold the catch can to the mounting bar to make sure the y are still tight. If you drive on ruff roads a lot, sometimes those nuts and screws can come loose.
Thanks, I see what you are saying about the bracket, I will tighten it up again real good and add another one on like you did. Extra insurance and just be sure to check and tighten it up every time I empty the can as needed. I'm curious how much this will fill up. I don't drive all that hard but occasionally, Most of my driving is in rush hour commute. [biggrin]

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Thanks, I see what you are saying about the bracket, I will tighten it up again real good and add another one on like you did. Extra insurance and just be sure to check and tighten it up every time I empty the can as needed. I'm curious how much this will fill up. I don't drive all that hard but occasionally, Most of my driving is in rush hour commute. [biggrin]
If I were you I would check it on the first oil change an if theirs nothing in it then every second oil change. People that are catching a lot of oil an blow by have a heavy foot all the time or they're running a chip tune with more boost, that's why they have a lot of blow by. I had a catch can in my Kia Optima SX and I emptied It every third oil change but I drove around 3 to 5 thousand miles a year. Here in Arizona I still change the oil in my car every 4 months no matter how many miles I have. The funny thing about it, I've had my stinger now for almost a month an I only have 431 miles on the car. I just don't drive very much.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
anybody have a quick way to get the hose off the top manifold? damn thing is on there good.
Grab it with your hand twist it & pull, what ever you do don't use a screw driver between the hose an nipple, you will break the nipple on the manifold, then you have to buy a new manifold. I wouldn't want to find out how much one of those pieces cost.

If your trying to take it of when the car is cold is a pain in the ass, start your car up an let it warm up for a little bit then try an take it off. Hope this helps.....

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
If I were you I would check it on the first oil change an if theirs nothing in it then every second oil change. People that are catching a lot of oil an blow by have a heavy foot all the time or they're running a chip tune with more boost, that's why they have a lot of blow by. I had a catch can in my Kia Optima SX and I emptied It every third oil change but I drove around 3 to 5 thousand miles a year. Here in Arizona I still change the oil in my car every 4 months no matter how many miles I have. The funny thing about it, I've had my stinger now for almost a month an I only have 431 miles on the car. I just don't drive very much.
Just doing some research on the catch can choices here. I found it interesting the recommended check specifications... 500 to 1,000 miles. I have run catch cans on numerous S/C cars and my current TT Camaro and I've never had to check any more frequently than oil changes and even then the most I've ever had was about 1/3 of the can. Guess I need to put my foot in it more.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I've had my catch cans for more than 2k miles and I've found that checking and cleaning them every oil change is more than enough.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I've had my catch cans for more than 2k miles and I've found that checking and cleaning them every oil change is more than enough.
Of the different offerings (vendors) for the Stinger Catch Cans I haven't seen any with a drain. Do you have to unscrew the bottom off them to drain?