Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Drag race: Stinger vs. G70 vs. Q50 hybrid

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
[video=youtube_share;TLhPc-OONz4]https://youtu.be/TLhPc-OONz4[/video]

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
They should have used the Redsport to make it more fair. Throttle response on the hybrid looked horrible.

OP
TurboTx

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Thread Starter #3
They should have used the Redsport to make it more fair. Throttle response on the hybrid looked horrible.
Agreed. I can't wait to see a race between the G70 and Q50rs. That should be close, at least through the 1/4 mile.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Horsepower both are similar but torque on the Hybrid is a dismal 258 lb ft.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
G70 looks like it'll be a hit. They have to advertise it like the Stinger though if they want any success in the States. People are too loyal to BMW and Mercedes over here. Something has to give..

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
That G70 is quick! I think that will be 0 to 60 in about the 4.4 to 4.5 range with the quarter mile coming in the high 12's to 13 flat. The Stinger is about where I thought it would be. It would be nice to know if the Stinger used launch control or if it was power braked, etc... The Q50h was the unknown to me and I did a little research on it. To me it's probably the closest match to the Stinger as it sits between the 3.0TT 300hp and the Red Sport 3.0TT 400hp. The Stinger would easily beat the 300hp Q50 but would lose to the 400hpRS. I think the G70 and the Q50RS would be an even match up. The total HP on the Q50H is 360 hp combined. The torque number is a bit more tricky to find out as there isn't a COMBINED number advertised. The torque from the GAS engine alone is 258 lb/ft and the torque from the ELECTRIC MOTOR is an additional 214 lb/ft of torque. However, that does NOT mean it kicks out a total of 472 lb/ft . It depends on how the hybrid system is programmed to deliver the electric power. Software. I think the peak torque for that particular gas engine comes in around 4500 rpm and usually max torque for an electric motor is just off 0 rpm. So, if I had to take a wild guess, without power braking, the Q50H might kick out about 300 to 320 lb/ft off the line and maybe 350 to 360 lb/ft with power braking (IF you can power brake it). One would have to put it on a dyno for a total number I would guess to see what the torque curve looked like at the wheels.

An interesting race to compare though.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
According to MT Magazine Q50S Hybrid does 0-60 in 4.9 and weighs 4017 lbs, the RWD Stinger only weighs 3,829 lbs and the AWD weighs 4,023 lbs. On paper the Stinger is a better car. From the video it doesn't look like launch control was used as you can see the driver lurched the Stinger forward a bit before the launch.