Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia Stinger front and side vents air flow

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
New Zealand
What I Drive
2018 Stinger, 2010 Camaro SS
I know it is just a "cartoon" and not a real CFD... but this could only be a static representation. Picture the wheel turning and the air "moving" CCW in the wheelwell... The spill and low/high pressure areas means these scoops and extractors are to reduce high/low pressures in the wheelwell (a good thing!) but simply cannot contribute to "stability" at high vehicle speeds by passing 'around' the rolling wheel. I just can't "see" it... Can we get a KIA aero engineer to weigh in? Oo
There are actually 2 mechanics in play with this system.

The first is that the front vent allows more air into the wheel well area and creates a more direct route to the engine side of the wheel and more cool air to the brakes. The air then will flow up/down/left/right after hitting the relatively flat face of the tire. An undesirable side-effect of this is that these vents become a relatively big drag force on the front of the car as this air is "caught" in a very turbulent environment (effectively a pair of small parachutes on the front of the car). This turbulent air caught in this environment can cause buffering and a bit of instability at higher speeds. The fender vents provide a smoother and more direct exit point (like cutting holes in said parachutes).

The second is that the air is not necessarily "pushed" through the rear vent by high pressure inside the wheelwell, but also pulled via suction by fast-moving air across the outside of the vent.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
I installed some heavy pet resistant screen in mine.

[MENTION=633]brandon.mol[/MENTION] hows the mesh been holding up throughout the summer?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
[MENTION=633]brandon.mol[/MENTION] hows the mesh been holding up throughout the summer?
Funny you should ask. Just today I inspected it out of curiosity. It looks exactly the same as the day I put it in. It hasn't moved or shown any other damage!

Yan

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Vents during winter

I'm located in Quebec, Canada. During the winter too much salt is spread on our roads. With the air flow and the humidity I am concerned about the salty mist streamed around the wheel and those (nice) Brembo brakes. The corrosion on the discs, pads and calipers will be at a maximum rate. As in winter time, I will not go to very high speeds, do not track, and with the natural low temperatures, I wonder if blocking completely the front opening would be the appropriate solution. No flow, no salt and fewer chips...Does this make sense? If yes any good idea with what and on how to do it?