Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia Stinger front and side vents air flow

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Thought you guys might find this interesting. Now we just need some aftermarket companies to divert some of the air towards cooling the brakes.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
This is really cool to see how the air flows.

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Wouldn't it have made more sense to channel that air towards the intakes?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Wouldn't it have made more sense to channel that air towards the intakes?
From what I recollect when I peaked into the engine bay of the 3.3, both intake boxes have a duct towards the tiger nose grill for the cold air.

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
From what I recollect when I peaked into the engine bay of the 3.3, both intake boxes have a duct towards the tiger nose grill for the cold air.
Oh ok, thanks.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
White w red interior 18 stingerGT L
is it just me or is anyone else worried about stone chips on the doors from these vents.
i have only had my stinger for a couple weeks and i am brushing gravel off the vents already. i got the clear coating applied to the front end and 1/2 way up the hood, and the mirrors for stone chips. i may need to get some on this door vent area as well.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
is it just me or is anyone else worried about stone chips on the doors from these vents.
i have only had my stinger for a couple weeks and i am brushing gravel off the vents already. i got the clear coating applied to the front end and 1/2 way up the hood, and the mirrors for stone chips. i may need to get some on this door vent area as well.
Mine's a big gravel collector too. Kia needs to put some screen in front of the side vents to keep debris out.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
i just ordered the OEM mud guards today. i'm wondering if i shouldnt block off the vent hole to keep the mud off the side of the car ?
cant imagine there would be a brake cooling issue unless i went to the track.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
I agree, some mesh over the vents will alleviate trapping gravel in there.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
It is my understanding that KIA designed this flow pattern to add stability to the front at high speed. The information I read said normally air can kinda bounce around in the wheel wells, and this design prevents that. I do agree about the gravel collector aspect though. I haven?t seen any chips down there yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Yes, lots of fine gravel that I hose out when I wash the car, but no paint chips anywhere.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Gr8 job. Can u give us some details on how u did it. Looks like u may have put it behind the wheel well. Is that right? Was it easy to do ?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Yup, exactly. Super easy. Posted about it here:

https://www.kiastinger.org/forum/showthread.php?p=17879

Essentially, you just remove the pop clips, bpull back the liner a bit, insert a piece of screen with holes cut for the clips, shove the liner back, reinstall clips, done. Takes maybe 5 min per wheel.

You need a clip removal tool of some sort, and a 90 degree Philips head screwdriver, or a bit in a small wrench, socket, whatever.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
When u say a clip removal tool do mean some sort of a flat pry tool like a flat screwdriver?

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thought you guys might find this interesting. Now we just need some aftermarket companies to divert some of the air towards cooling the brakes.
I know it is just a "cartoon" and not a real CFD... but this could only be a static representation. Picture the wheel turning and the air "moving" CCW in the wheelwell... The spill and low/high pressure areas means these scoops and extractors are to reduce high/low pressures in the wheelwell (a good thing!) but simply cannot contribute to "stability" at high vehicle speeds by passing 'around' the rolling wheel. I just can't "see" it... Can we get a KIA aero engineer to weigh in? Oo

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
I thought the reason was to cook the brakes??

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
On any car - the rolling wheels are plenty to cool the brakes.

Track monsters need extra scoops/extractors...