Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Dragstrip Tips N Tricks

CptNut

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What kind of tips and tricks are people using for the Stinger at the drag strip?

Recommendations for tire pressures for RWD vs AWD? I'm guessing for RWD you'd you max out the front tire pressure and drop a little off the rear tires?

Does anyone remove the plastic engine cover and leave the hood open to help the engine cool off faster b/w runs?

Use bags of ice on the intake manifold to help cool off the engine b/w runs?

Push your car through the staging lanes to keep engine temps down?

Do you get better 60 ft times driving around the water box and just giving the tires a quick spin to clean off the the rocks/dust from the parking lot or do you go for a burnout? (Assuming you have stock or similar OEM tires and not drag radials/slicks)

Try to make it the drag strip with a 1/4 tank of gas or less to save weight?

Fold in their side mirrors to reduce drag?

Appreciate any advice you can share from your experiences with Stinger at the drag strip.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I've seen people deflate their tires but have never done it personally. One thing I do it always keep the engine off while in the staging lanes and no more than 2 back to back run. I also keep the tank as low as possible with enough gas to get home. Don't forget to bring a helmet since our cars can easily get into the 13's.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Deflate tires to 29-30 psi.

Make sure you are at a 1/4 tank or less for your runs.

Avoid water box (RWD and AWD) Unless ambient tempts are at or below 50F (applies for stock Michelin tires).

Use LC. Start accelerating at the first yellow light after staging. Engaging LC.

Lift hood to help cool down engine between runs.

If you can get a JB4 with WMI and that will put you easily in the 11 sec bracket. [burnout]

Have fun.[rockon]

OP
CptNut

CptNut

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #4
I've seen people deflate their tires but have never done it personally. One thing I do it always keep the engine off while in the staging lanes and no more than 2 back to back run. I also keep the tank as low as possible with enough gas to get home. Don't forget to bring a helmet since our cars can easily get into the 13's.
Ahh good point about the helmet! I never ran my STI at the drag strip and my other cars were 14 to 15 seconds in the 1/4 so I never had to worry about bringing a helmet.

Robz32,

Thanks for information about the tire pressures!

Gaddo37

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
All good tips. There was no getting around the water box at my local track and it killed me. Be sure to update with your time slips! I wanna see what ya did.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States