Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Anyone tried taking their AWD Stinger off-road?

SaleenTom

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Anyone tried taking their Stinger on dirt trails?

chia9876

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2 (Red)
Sure, I have no doubt my GT2 can take on any Jeep or Hummer!![wink].

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's

sschmuve

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Even Evos and Wrxs with rally roots, aren't designed for it. Wouldn't advise it, unless you are looking for a reason to pay for an alignment.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
Even Evos and Wrxs with rally roots, aren't designed for it. Wouldn't advise it, unless you are looking for a reason to pay for an alignment.

What? I've taken my 03 WRX on dirt, gravel, snow, mud as often as I can - it's got a LSD in center and rear - it does great. The only thing it can't handle is large holes or boulders, logs where you need large ground clearance

The Stinger is a different animal though - which may be your point. Stinger has less clearance than a WRX, but I'd be OK taking it on loose terrain as long as it isn't too abrasive on the paint, etc. The Stinger's also a heavier beast...800lbs more than my WRX so drifting around corners may be more interesting

sschmuve

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What? I've taken my 03 WRX on dirt, gravel, snow, mud as often as I can - it's got a LSD in center and rear - it does great. The only thing it can't handle is large holes or boulders, logs where you need large ground clearance

The Stinger is a different animal though - which may be your point. Stinger has less clearance than a WRX, but I'd be OK taking it on loose terrain as long as it isn't too abrasive on the paint, etc. The Stinger's also a heavier beast...800lbs more than my WRX so drifting around corners may be more interesting
I've taken an Evo X and '15 Wrx on finished and unfinished dirt/gravel roads. Not ideal. Those vehicle suspensions are street tuned (harsh) with limited travel. The intent of those cars are made evident by the low profile tires. Awd isn't the determining factor.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Welcome to the forums [MENTION=2175]sschmuve[/MENTION], I agree with you, the stinger is not an offroad vehicle. If I had a WRX or a EVO I wouldn't even take those vehicles offroad. That's why they have 4x4 trucks.

For each is there own, people can do what ever they want with their car, I like my car to be spotless inside an out, but that's just me.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
I've taken an Evo X and '15 Wrx on finished and unfinished dirt/gravel roads. Not ideal. Those vehicle suspensions are street tuned (harsh) with limited travel. The intent of those cars are made evident by the low profile tires. Awd isn't the determining factor.

you assume low profile tires; definitely don't try with summer tires if that's not obvious. Rally or any race car has a "harsh" suspension. Yes, road car suspensions have less travel than rally setups, but most folks having fun in these cars aren't doing extreme rallying (jumps, etc.) and don't need crazy suspension. A snow covered road, gravel or plain dirt is perfect for WRX - especially the older ones like mine that have a LSD in the rear (the newer ones don't unless you go for the full STI)...you don't need a truck and trucks wouldn't be as agile/fast.

I hope folks have fun with their mainstream rally cars otherwise you're missing out. I agree with folks, the stinger's not an offroad vehicle, but if I see loose terrain, I wouldn't shy away unless there are dangers such as grounding out or kicking up gravel on the paint.

I forgot to mention, the long wheelbase in the stinger is a negative for rallying (but great for a comfortable ride). Look at rally cars and you'll notice they are all very short wheel based to allow fast rotation around corners

Norskie

Reactions
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Several
Define "off road".

I wouldn't include a gravel road as "off road". Or a road covered in snow/ice. It's still a graded road with a road surface.

Hm, considering the potholes I've seen in some cities up in the northern midwest, I guess those are more "off road" than some gravel roads I've been on.

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
I like my car so NO

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
Blue GT2, Land Rover LR3, Subie BRZ
Yes, unfortunately, with my loaded GT2. Tried to take a mountain shortcut. Had to drive through ruts and boulderfields ... I have a Rover that I offroad with, so I was able to pick good lines. It eventually turned to slight rock crawling madness (this was listed as a road - stupid gps) and I had no where to turn around. Somehow I worked through and around it, got to a meadow and turned around.

I was seriously stressed and I smashed the shit out of the underneath of the car ... HARD.

No damage to anything external. It performed really well. I don't want to do that again. Rover, yes - Stinger, Hell no.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions
i took my gt2 awd on some well graded dirt roads, not even really offroad. access road to a friend's cabin. suffice to say the wheel vents got absolutely packed with dirt and debris.

no ground clearance in this car for any kind of even light offroading.

Travail

Reactions
City
Lakeville
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Civic SI
Hi - I am considering getting an AWD Stinger and found this forum via an internet search as I had a similar question. Can I get some opinions on driving this vehicle off paved roads? About once a month, I drive down a few miles of either graded dirt roads, gravel, or class 5. I currently have a Civic SI which seems to do fine on this, but the Stinger sits a little lower. Anyone have an experience driving on these types or roads with a Stinger or am I better off looking at another vehicle?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Hi - I am considering getting an AWD Stinger and found this forum via an internet search as I had a similar question. Can I get some opinions on driving this vehicle off paved roads? About once a month, I drive down a few miles of either graded dirt roads, gravel, or class 5. I currently have a Civic SI which seems to do fine on this, but the Stinger sits a little lower. Anyone have an experience driving on these types or roads with a Stinger or am I better off looking at another vehicle?
No issues driving mine on dirt roads. We have a lot of them up here in Canada, I'm running all-season tires.