Welcome to Kia Stinger Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    Non-US
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes
    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by twig2121 View Post
    What? I've taken my 03 WRX on dirt, gravel, snow, mud as often as I can - it's got a LSD in center and rear - it does great. The only thing it can't handle is large holes or boulders, logs where you need large ground clearance

The Stinger is a different animal though - which may be your point. Stinger has less clearance than a WRX, but I'd be OK taking it on loose terrain as long as it isn't too abrasive on the paint, etc. The Stinger's also a heavier beast...800lbs more than my WRX so drifting around corners may be more interesting
    I've taken an Evo X and '15 Wrx on finished and unfinished dirt/gravel roads. Not ideal. Those vehicle suspensions are street tuned (harsh) with limited travel. The intent of those cars are made evident by the low profile tires. Awd isn't the determining factor.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Staff Team 87 Rep Points spider55's Avatar
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    AZ
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forums @sschmuve, I agree with you, the stinger is not an offroad vehicle. If I had a WRX or a EVO I wouldn't even take those vehicles offroad. That's why they have 4x4 trucks.

For each is there own, people can do what ever they want with their car, I like my car to be spotless inside an out, but that's just me.
    2019 kia Stinger GT1 Ceramic Grey
    ADD W1 V3 Oil Catch Can "PCV Side"
    Not performance, Mishimoto Carbon Radiator Cap.
    Injen Intake
    Tial BOV
    JB4 Tune
    Subframe Chassis Collar Kit
    M45iL spark Plugs

Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by sschmuve View Post
    I've taken an Evo X and '15 Wrx on finished and unfinished dirt/gravel roads. Not ideal. Those vehicle suspensions are street tuned (harsh) with limited travel. The intent of those cars are made evident by the low profile tires. Awd isn't the determining factor.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

you assume low profile tires; definitely don't try with summer tires if that's not obvious. Rally or any race car has a "harsh" suspension. Yes, road car suspensions have less travel than rally setups, but most folks having fun in these cars aren't doing extreme rallying (jumps, etc.) and don't need crazy suspension. A snow covered road, gravel or plain dirt is perfect for WRX - especially the older ones like mine that have a LSD in the rear (the newer ones don't unless you go for the full STI)...you don't need a truck and trucks wouldn't be as agile/fast.

I hope folks have fun with their mainstream rally cars otherwise you're missing out. I agree with folks, the stinger's not an offroad vehicle, but if I see loose terrain, I wouldn't shy away unless there are dangers such as grounding out or kicking up gravel on the paint.

I forgot to mention, the long wheelbase in the stinger is a negative for rallying (but great for a comfortable ride). Look at rally cars and you'll notice they are all very short wheel based to allow fast rotation around corners

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12