Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Smashed my mirror while reversing

OP
torbach
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Thread Starter #21
That's the spot.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
So this, or something like should prevent the air from getting in to the area causing noise. At first thought it was where the mirror moved, this is easy to fix.

Of course you have to remove the assembly again so be careful with the mirror, I broke my mirror. The OEM replacement was 257 bucks. I went with the 40 dollar option but I don't have blind side package so you won't have the cheaper option:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/IMG]

OP
torbach
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Thread Starter #23
So this, or something like should prevent the air from getting in to the area causing noise. At first thought it was where the mirror moved, this is easy to fix.

Of course you have to remove the assembly again so be careful with the mirror, I broke my mirror. The OEM replacement was 257 bucks. I went with the 40 dollar option but I don't have blind side package so you won't have the cheaper option:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/IMG]
Thanks Chris. The image didn't come through on my side for some reason.

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Just updated, refresh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Do you remove the mirror from inside? By taking door panel off?
If you custom cut a piece of this it should block the noise. And should be thin enough to not notice

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Oh, just Google thin rubber gaskets

OP
torbach
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Thread Starter #27
I didn't remove the entire mirror assembly. When I looked at that, there was a thick sheet of metal after the removal of the door trim that I wasn't sure I wanted to get into..

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Other option is black gloss vinyl wrap, to cover the existing rubber gromet and just the front of the base to black the wind. They also sell thin rubber strips, you could custom cut a small black piece and glue to the rubber gromet already there. Or last you could try Permatex gasket maker and spread around base in very thin pattern or something like it. You just need an artist touch and it will likely not even be noticeable:)

However, I would remove the mirror, use the existing gromet as a guide and make my own:)

OP
torbach
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Thread Starter #29
Other option is black gloss vinyl wrap, to cover the existing rubber gromet and just the front of the base to black the wind. They also sell thin rubber strips, you could custom cut a small black piece and glue to the rubber gromet already there. Or last you could try Permatex gasket maker and spread around base in very thin pattern or something like it. You just need an artist touch and it will likely not even be noticeable:)

However, I would remove the mirror, use the existing gromet as a guide and make my own:)

Thanks a lot!

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
I looked at it again and it looks like the whole gasket is missing get something like this and wedge a piece in, test a few spots, bet you could get rid of noise pretty easy

OP
torbach
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Thread Starter #31
I looked at it again and it looks like the whole gasket is missing get something like this and wedge a piece in, test a few spots, bet you could get rid of noise pretty easy

The gasket isn't missing. They inserted the gasket from the $300 eBay mirror. It was way worse before then. Still, I think your suggestion is the one that makes most sense if I don't take out the mirror in order to insert a custom gasket. I will try this. Thank you again!

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Let me know how it goes, good luck!

OP
torbach
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Thread Starter #33
Let me know how it goes, good luck!

It worked. Thank you so much Chris. Wind noise is gone. Really, really appreciate the advice!

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
That's awesome bro!! I know how annoying that can be so I am happy for u!

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
I always back into my garage so that I'm pulling out when I'm in a hurry. LOL
But what if you have a teeny weeny tiny little garage like me. I can't back in because I wouldn't be able to see the tennis ball and stop the moment it touches the glass. Also can only get out in the middle. My wife's escape gets backed in because it's about 6" shorter so the beep beep beep backup sensor is good enough to get close enough to the wall for the door to shut. But yeah I've always dreaded this because my mirrors barely clear the garage door frame. The only car I've had that was easy peasy going in and out of this garage was the mini cooper

IMG_20190324_192125.jpg

OP
torbach
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Thread Starter #36
This is what the suggested insulation looks like. It's unnoticeable unless you look closely. Thanks to @Chris71 it saved me $1k+.

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
This is what the suggested insulation looks like. It's unnoticeable unless you look closely. Thanks to @Chris71 it saved me $1k+.

That's a close up shot too, nice man!

Reactions
Hey guys - looking for instructions on how to remove the side mirror assembly. Door panels come off pretty easy - the parts diagram looks like there must be bolts/screws??

OP
torbach
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Thread Starter #39
Hey guys - looking for instructions on how to remove the side mirror assembly. Door panels come off pretty easy - the parts diagram looks like there must be bolts/screws??
I couldn’t do it. I ended up starting with the mirror itself, from angling the mirror only to detach it from the mirror assembly, remove wired connections, and so on. Ultimately the closest I could get was to detach the mirror assembly from the car that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk