Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Fellow lurkers... why haven't you bought a Stinger yet?

Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Mustang
If I could, I would... I'm sold. In my 2 daily drivers household we've gotten into a nice "replace the oldest car every 3-4 years... payoff the new car for 3-4 years... and repeat" rhythm so we always have 1 "new" car and 1 car that's paid off. I'm driving the old car now... but we're still paying off my wife's newer car. No matter how much I'd like to do this now I've come to the painful conclusion that the soonest I'll be able to likely do something is the summer of 2020. Despite the fact that it's killing me that I can't enjoy one of these cars right now, being in the market for a new Stinger during that time frame probably isn't the worst thing to happen seeing it's right on the threshold of the rumored refresh for the 2021 model year. That means I can either get the "latest and greatest" or get a nice discount on leftover 20's (or 19's LOL). These cars are spectacular, and they're only going to keep improving them!

What's your story? Why haven't you pulled the trigger yet?

SaleenTom

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
It took me 4 months of lurking this forum before I pulled the trigger, so really take your time. One of the biggest hang up for me was to wait and see what options came with the 2019 that wasn't offered on the 2018.

flycaster

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 C-300, 2013 ATS Lux
Yeah, I'm with you guys. I made up my mind on a 2019 GT2, but can't get it until the lease is up on my present car in August. In early Feb the dealership offered to buy out my lease, but then their monthly figure was too stupidly high for me to consider. So, I guess I will be patiently lurking until August.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Whatever changes that will likely happen in 2020 or 2021 would probably be very minor. I always try to buy new cars at the first or second model year so that I can enjoy the design longer.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
The day I bought my car, I wasn't even looking to buy a car, but the dealer wanted my Optima SX and the deal they laid on the table I couldn't refuse. The dealer wanted to sale a car not just take your money.

OP
pantheman75
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Mustang
Thread Starter #6
Whatever changes that will likely happen in 2020 or 2021 would probably be very minor. I always try to buy new cars at the first or second model year so that I can enjoy the design longer.
Actually... Kia salesman and forum contributor [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION] says he expects the mid-cycle refresh next year (for the 2021 model year) if Kia follows their normal cycles. That would go beyond minor changes... likely interior / exterior styling updates / mechanical updates / etc. If you look at some of their other model mid-cycle refreshes you can see they do make some pretty noticeable updates.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
I dunno, to me the evolution doesn't look too drastic. Using the Optima as an example.

2012 Optima

2018 Optima

MrMr

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I first heard about the Stinger back in '17, spent nearly 6 month researching the car before I decided it's the right one for me. Have you had a chance to test drive one yet?

Reactions
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 GT2 AWD
I've really just started gathering information at this point. I'd say I'm torn between the 2019 Stinger GT2 and the 2019 Genesis G70. I'm going to arrange test drives on both in the coming weeks as this winter has been harsh. I'd be trading in my Crosstrek which I have positive equity in and honestly want some more engine power which this car just doesn't have. If the test drives are similar I'd probably be swayed to the Stinger due to more room in the back, better trunk space and cheaper price with lease incentives on the Stinger.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
I've really just started gathering information at this point. I'd say I'm torn between the 2019 Stinger GT2 and the 2019 Genesis G70. I'm going to arrange test drives on both in the coming weeks as this winter has been harsh. I'd be trading in my Crosstrek which I have positive equity in and honestly want some more engine power which this car just doesn't have. If the test drives are similar I'd probably be swayed to the Stinger due to more room in the back, better trunk space and cheaper price with lease incentives on the Stinger.
Either way give us your take on the side-by-side test drive.

Reactions
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 GT2 AWD
Either way give us your take on the side-by-side test drive.
So I got to test drive a G70 3.3T Prestige AWD & RWD, G70 2.0T Sport AWD, and a 2018 Stinger GT2 AWD this weekend. The Genesis has made a quality car that has plenty of power in the 3.3 and while the 2.0 was nice you can feel the lowered torque in that one. The interiors are solid and the quilted stitched Nappa leather is eye catching. That said the Stinger is no slouch either. Interior isn't as nice but it's not that big a difference that would make up for the cost variables of getting into a new one.

The biggest difference is dealership experience and knowing the Genesis offers 3 years free maintenance with the curtesy car drop off. The Genesis dealer was just awesome to work with. Answering questions, letting us test drive 3 different models to just get a feel for the car itself. The Kia dealerships not so great. The first one was such a hassle I walked out without even getting a test drive. When I mentioned to the second dealer I'm not buying today but gathering information he was nice enough but not very responsive to questions.

I had read about the dealership experience before but it really is a large difference.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
So I got to test drive a G70 3.3T Prestige AWD & RWD, G70 2.0T Sport AWD, and a 2018 Stinger GT2 AWD this weekend. The Genesis has made a quality car that has plenty of power in the 3.3 and while the 2.0 was nice you can feel the lowered torque in that one. The interiors are solid and the quilted stitched Nappa leather is eye catching. That said the Stinger is no slouch either. Interior isn't as nice but it's not that big a difference that would make up for the cost variables of getting into a new one.

The biggest difference is dealership experience and knowing the Genesis offers 3 years free maintenance with the curtesy car drop off. The Genesis dealer was just awesome to work with. Answering questions, letting us test drive 3 different models to just get a feel for the car itself. The Kia dealerships not so great. The first one was such a hassle I walked out without even getting a test drive. When I mentioned to the second dealer I'm not buying today but gathering information he was nice enough but not very responsive to questions.

I had read about the dealership experience before but it really is a large difference.
Your right [MENTION=2147]countzerokc[/MENTION], the dealer makes a huge difference. I went to four different dealers before I found the right one. If you tell a salesman your just looking an your not going to buy a car, they ignore you because all they want is that sale an your money. They need to look at, if you treat a customer good they will come back but a lot of dealerships don't. That's why you let them know, I DON'T NEED YOU TO BUY A CAR BUT YOU NEED ME TO SALE A CAR. Maybe I'm an asshole when I go into a dealer but I'm the one spending 40 to 50 grand on a car NOT them.

Welcome to the forums, whatever you decide they're two great cars.

Last edited:
Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
I joined this site and few others last Fall to see if there were any major issues with this car. It's a big investment so I wanted to be sure. Happy to say I bought one about 2 weeks ago. Love the car it's absolutely beautiful and the discounts were so good I was able to afford a GT1.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I joined this site and few others last Fall to see if there were any major issues with this car. It's a big investment so I wanted to be sure. Happy to say I bought one about 2 weeks ago. Love the car it's absolutely beautiful and the discounts were so good I was able to afford a GT1.
Welcome & congrats on your purchase, do you have pictures?

LOL, I just saw your car in another thread, looks great. Do you plan on any mods?

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
Nice and welcome SpaceGhost - good process to scope things out before the investment. I suspect you'll be pleased for many years with the car. I plan to head to your area Needham/Dedham in the next few weeks for work - I'll keep my eyes out for your stinger!

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
Nice and welcome SpaceGhost - good process to scope things out before the investment. I suspect you'll be pleased for many years with the car. I plan to head to your area Needham/Dedham in the next few weeks for work - I'll keep my eyes out for your stinger!
If you see a red GT1 it's probably me. Stingers are few and far between. I like the name of your town. PA has the best names. There is a Mexico PA and a Mars PA too. I stayed in Mars one time

Norskie

Reactions
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Several
I've not purchased one yet because they cost more than I have saved, and I hate debt.

At some point the used Stingers will come down in price to equal what I have saved plus what I can sell my current car (2016 WRX) for. It's just a matter of time.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 kia Optima
I retire in just over a month.....I want the option to just pay cash even if it's not the smartest financial decision.....I might try the lease buyout route but again I want my annuity cash in hand.

1macuzer

Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Waiting for the right deal to come along. Even though I know the Stinger is a bargain up against an Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. I still feel they priced it just a tad too high in the States. It really put a bad taste in my mouth to see our neighbors to the north get a fully spec'd. model for less than what we pay for a base model GT in US dollars. Almost two years in, we still don't get the Alcantara headliner. I know it's coming on the GTS, but it should be standard equipment to begin with. I will own a Stinger. Like I said before, I'm just waiting on the right deal to push me over into ownership. I got really close back at the end of January, but the wife talked me out of it. We already own another Kia and have very happy with it and service.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Welcome to the forums @1macuzer, if I were you I would wait for the GTS. It cost the same as my GT1 an you get all that carbon fiber which I have to pay for.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Canada Kia Stinger Owners 0