Welcome to Kia Stinger Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    24 Rep Points
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola Grey View Post
    The aluminum cone-seats on my chinese aftermarket wheels might hold for a while . . . You can rely on just that, but I like having the rings. Aluminum cone seats aren't hardened or anything . . . I mean, look how much they stretched within the first 15-20 miles of driving.

In the video, the extra (partial) turns on the lug nuts are small. The seats on the wheels do compress a bit providing cold-working and, as a side effect, hardening the surface of the seats. If there was coating overspray, the tightening process compressed or removed it. However, those extra partial turns are far from the meaning of stretching.

Regarding the ring, if it was to provide a precise positioning of a wheel and to provide load-carrying capacity, the ring would need to have a more snug fit between the hub and the wheel. Now, it doesn't hurt to install those rings, but in this case, I would have installed the winter set sans rings given the choice of running a summer set in the snow and ice.

Also, when tightening the a lug nut, support the torque wrench head (pull it up), otherwise the extra leverage will result in higher applied torque than the reading/preset value. If anti-seize compound applied to the thread of the studs, the applied torque should be slightly reduced.

Are the rings plastic or metal (usually aluminum)?

Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    CO
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
    In the video, the extra (partial) turns on the lug nuts are small. The seats on the wheels do compress a bit providing cold-working and, as a side effect, hardening the surface of the seats. If there was coating overspray, the tightening process compressed or removed it. However, those extra partial turns are far from the meaning of stretching.

Regarding the ring, if it was to provide a precise positioning of a wheel and to provide load-carrying capacity, the ring would need to have a more snug fit between the hub and the wheel. Now, it doesn't hurt to install those rings, but in this case, I would have installed the winter set sans rings given the choice of running a summer set in the snow and ice.

Also, when tightening the a lug nut, support the torque wrench head (pull it up), otherwise the extra leverage will result in higher applied torque than the reading/preset value. If anti-seize compound applied to the thread of the studs, the applied torque should be slightly reduced.

Are the rings plastic or metal (usually aluminum)?

Dude. I heard you the first time. Please cease all this unsolicited, bad advice. Do you work for Discount Tire, by chance? You can drive YOUR car sans motor-oil if you want to for all I care, while posting endlessly about how it won't hurt (look, it starts right up with all the oil drained out!), but that doesn't mean you're right.

Let's not argue about this. I will use the centering rings and you should get off this thread.
    2019 KIA Stinger GT1 AWD Nardo/Ghost/Ceramic Gray

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123