Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

overheat but no leak

THT

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
ok so at 5.2k km in i had overheating and check it was coolant leak, not sure why but i think my cap was loose, anyway i refill the reservoir to full and test drive, engine overheating like every 300meter, i check my reservoir but its same level, wtf is going on guys? please help!

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
ok so at 5.2k km in i had overheating and check it was coolant leak, not sure why but i think my cap was loose, anyway i refill the reservoir to full and test drive, engine overheating like every 300meter, i check my reservoir but its same level, wtf is going on guys? please help!
Here's my list of culprits which should all be covered under warranty and you shouldn't be out of pocket.

1. Bad water pump
2. Bad thermostat
3. Radiator fan not working

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
1. Bad water pump
2. Bad thermostat
3. Radiator fan not working
This

OP
T

THT

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Thread Starter #4
the fan spin when it overheat
when it over heat i loosen a little of the radiator cap and there was alot of pressure and coolant spilling, would there be pressure if the pump is dead?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
the fan spin when it overheat
when it over heat i loosen a little of the radiator cap and there was alot of pressure and coolant spilling, would there be pressure if the pump is dead?
The pressure is built from the heat and not from the waterpump.

OP
T

THT

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Thread Starter #6
thanks you, ill get my dealer to check out the pump and thermostat next week.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
thanks you, ill get my dealer to check out the pump and thermostat next week.
Right on keep us posted

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
What engine do you have? The 2.0L or the 3.3L?

OP
T

THT

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Thread Starter #9

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Do you get a CEL or an overheat warning?

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
Bleed the system, it likely has air bubbles and, please, do not open the radiator cap when the system is hot and pressurized.

OP
T

THT

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Thread Starter #12
overheating warning in dash, so i thought it was my loose cap, let it cool over night and pour in about 2.5liter in the radiator to full this morning, was able to drive for about 30min and got a warning again, left it cool for 4min and was able to drive for 10min without any overheating to home...., went under to see my left wheel(facing car) had coolant dripping from it but cant find where its coming from...

OP
T

THT

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Thread Starter #13
no point, it had a leak somewhere somehow and its really confusing, it leak at times and overheating, my reservoir tank did drop a small bit today from it.
calling dealer this monday morning.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
no point, it had a leak somewhere somehow and its really confusing, it leak at times and overheating, my reservoir tank did drop a small bit today from it.
calling dealer this monday morning.
Keep us posted where the leak is

OP
T

THT

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Thread Starter #15
was told i had air trap somewhere and they fixed it, took them 5days...getting my car tomorrow morning, hopefully everything is ok and nothing is damage.
i forgot to ask them why it had air and leak in the first place...

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Bleed the system, it likely has air bubbles and, please, do not open the radiator cap when the system is hot and pressurized.
How does trap bubbles cause overheating?

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
was told i had air trap somewhere and they fixed it, took them 5days...getting my car tomorrow morning, hopefully everything is ok and nothing is damage.
You probably go air in your system because there was no fluid in your overflow tank and it sucked in air. There's a minimum level in that tank you have to keep fluid at. That's what it sounds like to me. You are like me you live in a Hot climate so you need to check the overflow tank every few months.

Please don't ever take your radiator cap off when the car is at operating temperature or really hot. Bad Bad Bad

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Could be that someone at the assembly line either forgot to fill the proper amount of coolant or they did not do a proper system bleed, leaving air in the system.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
T

THT

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Thread Starter #19
been diving around, its ok for now, meanwhile my rim was damaged badly by the dealer test drive...another problem after another, gonna contact them next monday on that...
52861795_10157360612449396_2985785870323286016_o.jpg

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Ouch that sucks. Beautiful wheels though.