Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Autox and tracking folks what helmet are you using?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I'm looking for a racing helmet in XXL size, anyone find anything they're happy with?

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I just used my wife’s old dirt bike helmet. It’s DOT approved so I’m good.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I recommend the Zamp Racing Helmets RZ-44C

At around $500 Im confident you couldn't find a better helmet.

The carbon composite structure is lightweight which is a huge plus. This full face helmet is lighter than my old Bell open face Sport Mag. Neck strain is kept to a minimum. The interior material is nice. Not the nicest material I've felt in a helmet but still nice and comfortable. The head shape was a little odd at first but after wearing it a few times and breaking it in it has become very comfortable as well. The helmet does not cause headaches due to odd pressure points as others I have worn. There are plenty of vents in this helmet which promote great airflow. The front and top vents are designed to allow the use of a blower system if you have one. You just need to buy the air adapter. I am a pretty big fan of the way the helmet looks as well. The carbon fiber is clear coated which gives it a nice gloss shine.

All in all I am very happy with this helmet. It has plenty of features that you won't find on other helmets unless you move up the price range. I would highly recommend the RZ-44C to anyone looking for a versatile, lightweight, SA2015 compliant helmet. You will not regret your decision.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I use Black Armor Helmets. They usually have a good deal on oddball sizes like XXL

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I have this helmet from my riding days, wore it for a month. I'm thinking about selling it because I don't use it anymore.

20190208_144625.jpg 20190208_144656.jpg

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I have a simpson. See if you can find a local place you can try them on first

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
I'm looking for a racing helmet in XXL size, anyone find anything they're happy with?
Is this your first helmet?

When it comes to helmet selection, it depends on the shape of your head. You need to physically try them on. Usually, one brand has a similar fit, so a model of a brand should represent how that brand fits on your head.

Is there a local speed shop or motorcycle shop local to you?

Are you looking for a full-face or open-face?

OP
SoCalStinger
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #8
Is this your first helmet?

When it comes to helmet selection, it depends on the shape of your head. You need to physically try them on. Usually, one brand has a similar fit, so a model of a brand should represent how that brand fits on your head.

It will be yeah, I've always borrowed before. Seems XXL fits the best

OP
SoCalStinger
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #9
I just took a chance and order the RaceQuip 273997 and it fits perfectly. Thanks everyone for the advice.

CptNut

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States

^^^ This 100% Always try on the helmet brand and model (if possible) you plan to buy. I have a smaller head and with some brands I needed a Small while others were a Medium. I ended up going with an HJC motorcycle helmet since they were on the cheap side but had the features I wanted. Also pay attention to the SNELL year since they will sometimes heavily discount the older inventory that's about to "expire". A lot of places won't check the SNELL sticker inside the helmet if it looks in good condition. I've been to auto-x events where they checked the SNELL year during tech inspection and would not allow you to use the helmet if it was too old

I'd recommend going with a full face in case you ever want to do something like go-karting in the future, you won't have wear the nasty loaner helmets that every one else has been sweating in. [vommit]

Hapa88

Reactions
State
AZ
What I Drive
2019 GT1
I just used my wife’s old dirt bike helmet. It’s DOT approved so I’m good.
I have this helmet from my riding days, wore it for a month. I'm thinking about selling it because I don't use it anymore.

View attachment 2093 View attachment 2094
Please do your research. DO NOT USE A MOTORCYCLE HELMET FOR A CAR. They are designed for a completely different purpose. In very general terms, Motorcycle helmets are designed for 1 large impact (your head the pavement or something else) and are generally not flame resistant. A car helmet is designed for multiple smaller impacts (your head bouncing around the inside of a car) and are flame resistant. They have different ratings, SA for cars and M for motorcycle. You should buy a SA helmet with the latest rating (they re-rate every 5 years). Right now that's SA-2015. Most tracks only want SA helmets and no later than SA-2010 rating.

That being said, I've used the lower lines of HJC and Pyrotect helmets as they offer good value and safety for people that only track occasionally.