Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Boost gauge

HawaiiPD

Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
OK, I have a 3.3 GT and wanted to monitor the amount of boost the stock setup gets. So...

1. Bought an OBD II with Bluetooth wireless to sent to smart phone. Got the Veepeak VP11. About $10.00 from Amazon w/o shipping.
2. Download a free app for Torque Lite that has selectable gauges to monitor engines.

3. Chose the boost gauge on one screen and intake temperature on the second screen, and Engine & trans temp just to read it.
4. Used a giant rubber band to hold phone against the car's monitor at the left edge in the sight line.

Results?
1. 12 lbs of boost from about 1500 rpm on up.
2. Air intake temperature 125 degrees Far. @ idle at stop lights.
3. Air intake temps drop to 90-100 degrees at 65 mph on highways. Ambient air temps @80 degrees in Honolulu.
4. Read the engine and trans temps stable at 200-210 degrees.

Conclusions:
1. Air to water intercoolers won't get more HP, engine water is over 200 degrees, air temp is 90-100.
2. Cheap mod to smart phone with just a wireless OBD II "Dongle" I think what it is called.
3. The second OBD II I bought as a back up could not "connect" to the car. KitBest brand, another $10.00 tool from Amazon.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT1
Thanks for sharing.

I’ll certainly have to buy one of these.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
This is interesting. I’ve been hoping for someone one day to make a “A” pillar gauge trim so I could add boost, water temp and battery voltage gauges.

OP
H

HawaiiPD

Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #4
Today the car is in ECO mode and in Drive. I got 13.3 lbs of boost at about 85 mph. Fast enough for me.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT LTD
Just remember, boost pressure is all relative. 13.3lbs of pressure in the Stinger does not = 13.3lb on a Subaru for instance. I'd also be cautious reading too much into the digital obdII boost pressure read out #'s without being able to also check it against the pressure you would see on a mechanical gauge running off the vacuum lines.