Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Stinger Sight Lines

Moocowpup

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Hi there! I'm about to be the proud owner of a 2018 Stinger GT2 AWD.[biggrin] Owning a sports car is new to me. I absolutely fell in love with the vehicle in one test drive. The only thing that threw me for a loop is the rear sight-line of the vehicle. I'm used to large windows in the back and was a bit alarmed by how little you can see. Do you become more comfortable with that as time goes on? Has anyone encountered a dangerous situation because of the view?

Thanks so much!

-Heather

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Welcome, congrats on the car, you will get used to the rear window view over time. I personally have had no dangerous encounters. If this is your first turbo car, you should read up on them because their are some aftermarket parts you will need to get like a OIL CATCH CAN for PCV side of the engine. You can find those catch cans at the K8 Stinger Store website.

If you need to know anything just ask the people on this forum.

One other thing be careful when you pull your car into a parking spot because the bumper sits low an it will hit the curb sometimes. Enjoy your car...…...

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Hi there! I'm about to be the proud owner of a 2018 Stinger GT2 AWD.[biggrin] Owning a sports car is new to me. I absolutely fell in love with the vehicle in one test drive. The only thing that threw me for a loop is the rear sight-line of the vehicle. I'm used to large windows in the back and was a bit alarmed by how little you can see. Do you become more comfortable with that as time goes on? Has anyone encountered a dangerous situation because of the view?

Thanks so much!

-Heather

Congratulations!

You will get used to it. The Rear camera will be what you will use when backing up. If you have all the blind spot monitoring stuff that will make up for it. Only thing I don't like is not being able to see higher down the road, the window seems to cutoff at the top so I can never tell if the car or SUV behind me is a Sheriff or police car LOL but that is the only thing that bothers me the most about it.

If rear visibility is a big deal to you then you may not like it but it does get easier. I find myself looking out the side mirrors more as it gives a better view than the rear view mirror.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT1
I read about the small rear window prior to test driving my 2019 GT1. When I stepped in the car I thought “damn it’s small!” But after that moment, that’s the last I thought about it until this thread.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT

Thanks so much!

-Heather
Welcome to the forum!

Are you concerned about rearward view when backing up? If so, the camera and parking sensors help up to a point.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Congratulations!

You will get used to it. The Rear camera will be what you will use when backing up. If you have all the blind spot monitoring stuff that will make up for it. Only thing I don't like is not being able to see higher down the road, the window seems to cutoff at the top so I can never tell if the car or SUV behind me is a Sheriff or police car LOL but that is the only thing that bothers me the most about it.

If rear visibility is a big deal to you then you may not like it but it does get easier. I find myself looking out the side mirrors more as it gives a better view than the rear view mirror.
Hey [MENTION=1495]MMB22[/MENTION], here's a tip...

The rearview mirror in on a TWO point pivot. You can "pull" the whole mirror down about 3/4". Then TILT it back upwards. It will give you a slightly "higher" sight line through the back window. I did it and it works great for me. LOL

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Hi Heather. I agree that the view out of the rear view mirror is somewhat restricted. However, I rarely use the rear view mirror.

For over twenty years, I drove a full size company work van. It had no rear view mirror at all. I learned to drive using properly aligned side mirrors. So, I find myself doing the same with the Stinger.

This stands true for backing up, too. I always back into parking spots. Again, a habit from driving the work van. So, I use the rear view mirrors for most of the backing and then the camera for the foot or so.

All posts are for entertainment, are my opinions and not meant to be acted upon. All photos are copyrighted and not for use by others, without express written consent by me.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
The mirror is probably the weakest point of this car, but you get used to it quickly, and with proper placement of the side view mirrors, it hasn’t bothered me. I do have all the safety nannies though. Maybe if I had it without the blind spot assist etc, I’d feel differently about it. Still, like you, I noticed it during my test drive and thought it’s pretty dismal. But since then having driven the car for more than a year now, I can’t remember when it bothered me or hindered my ability to see what’s behind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States

The rearview mirror in on a TWO point pivot. You can "pull" the whole mirror down about 3/4". Then TILT it back upwards. It will give you a slightly "higher" sight line through the back window. I did it and it works great for me. LOL
I didn't know that. [dunno]

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT

I set it the other way around.

1. The windshield-end pivot is articulated at maximum so that the shaft is tilted up toward the ceiling and away from the driver to maximize forward visibility and to provide more space for a Valentine One.

2. Then, while holding the shaft stationary, the mirror position is adjusted solely on the mirror-end pivot. Sometimes more range is needed and it will need tiny articulation from the windshield-end pivot.

In effect, the mirror is placed at the highest position to provide a rearward field of view closest to the edge of the hatch/trunk lid/tailgate.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Proper adjustment of side view mirrors (hint, you don't have to be able to see your car in your side views) and learning to use them will help greatly, as well!

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2

Thanks [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION]R, I had no Idea, I'll give it a try! I didn't think the mirror had that option. LOL

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
What would really be nice is to be able to switch to a rear view camera view while driving at any speed, not just the 10mph limit. I'd love to see more customization options with the cameras to be able to set it to view any camera while driving and to have it also automatically come on when shifting to reverse etc. It would be nice to hit the view button and have the rear view pop on for like 5- 10 seconds and go back to the previous screen just to do a quick check.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
That would be a nice option for the camera view.