Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia ranked 10th in J.D. Power Dependability Study

Lemmers

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States

The VDS is an annual study. For the 2019 edition, J.D. Power surveyed 32,952 original owners of 2016 model-year vehicles in the last three months of 2018. The owners were asked to detail problems they'd had over the previous 12 months in eight key areas, including problems that go beyond parts that failed -- including issues with features and controls, as well as the overall driving experience.

The intent of the survey is to evaluate how well an automaker's vehicles hold up over time. It's designed as a complement to the other big J.D. Power auto study, the Initial Quality Study, or IQS, which looks at problems in the first 90 days of ownership. Think of it this way: The IQS looks at problems that might arise from manufacturing defects, while the VDS looks at how well the vehicle holds up over time. Looking at both studies can give us some insight into an automaker's overall quality.

The VDS ranks auto brands by the number of reported problems per 100 vehicles (so a lower score is better). It also names the top three models in each of the major market segments, as well as the most dependable model overall.

Long story short, there are a couple of different ways for an automaker to do well on the VDS: Its brands can rank highly, it can have several models named as best in their segments -- or both.

The Buick LaCrosse, Buick Verano, Chevrolet Equinox, Chevrolet Silverado HD, and Chevrolet Sonic all led their segments. (Toyota was second with four segment awards; BMW took three; Volkswagen and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles each received two; and Ford, Hyundai, Kia, and Nissan won one each. The award for the most dependable model went to the Porsche 911.)

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT1
I’ll take the 10 spot. It’s better than the Nissan I traded in.