Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Dealer sold me a Stinger with Summer tires in middle of winter

Reactions
State
VT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Not sure what my best course of action is here. I just bought a 2019 Stinger GT AWD and explicitly asked if it came from the factory with All-Seasons or Summers due to the speed limiter. She informed me it came with All-Seasons. I asked if it was like that or if they swapped them in house. She said they swapped them there. Well, tonight we got the beginning of a pretty nasty snow storm right as my family and I arrived at a restaurant for dinner. We left the restaurant a while later and the snow had covered the road pretty well and was still coming down. I noticed it seemed rather slick and chalked it up to the weather as the reason I was sliding whenever I tried to stop or accelerate. I damn near spun out a few times on the way home and again figured it must have been the weather. Well, I arrive home and get to talking to my neighbor and decide to check the tires, the damn thing still has the Pilot Sports on it AFTER the sales lady told me without a doubt via text message that it had all seasons which I confirmed again right after she told me. Fact is they put my family in danger by sending me on my way with a vehicle that was NOT equipped for the road conditions. If I had caused a accident it would have been my ass when the police arrived. Am I right in assuming this is on them?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
I don't think dealers are required to sell you specific tires even if it's in the middle of winter. Regardless I would try to reach out to the sales manager and tell him what happened maybe he'll cut you a great deal on a set of winter tires. The plus side of getting the 19" wheels is that you're not limited to the 140mph top speed.

Coaster

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
Yep - I experienced this 2 weeks ago in MO. They acted like it was all my fault too and don’t worry, those tires are in demand so you will have no problem selling them. With Kia dealers, my advice is pull the car inside a bay and perform a complete inspection with the window sticker. Unfortunately, I did not do this for a bunch of stupid reasons but mainly I just trusted the sales team. The only thing I was able to negotiate was I paid dealer cost for tires (Continental ExtremeContact DWS06) and they installed them. They agreed to have their porter drop the tires at my house for free and they have not yet. If they don’t call tomorrow, I am going to make phone calls and fill out the Corporate survey and dealer survey with horrible reviews. They knew what they were doing with us especially since mine is my daily vehicle to work.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
If I were you I would go talk to a lawyer and see if you can take any legal action for putting you and your family in danger, because they specifically told you they would swap the tires out in house an they didn't do it, knowing a snow storm was coming. I would be ripping them a new ass in front of costumers and everyone. That dealership doesn't sound like they care about the costumer at all, they ONLY care about TAKING YOUR MONEY. That's why I went to 4 different Kia dealers before I found the right one, the one that bent over backwards to make the deal I wanted.

If all that doesn't work go to the media, and tell them what happen. Dealerships don't want negative publicity especially putting a family in danger like that. Good luck I hope it all works out for you.

Reactions
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
I would talk to the dealer's general manager first.

OP
B
Reactions
State
VT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #6
I spoke to Kia corporate who is going to speak to them directly. Their only offer was tires at cost and I pay half. I spoke to their tire guy who gave me their "cost" pricing on a set of Pirelli winters and it was higher than Tire Rack pricing so I think they were BS'ing me again. I can't find any steel wheels for the Stinger due to the huge brakes so I'm stuck with staggered winters as well. They're acting like me keeping the summers is a great thing when I know the only reason that's on the table is they can't use them due to them having a couple hundred miles on them.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I spoke to Kia corporate who is going to speak to them directly. Their only offer was tires at cost and I pay half. I spoke to their tire guy who gave me their "cost" pricing on a set of Pirelli winters and it was higher than Tire Rack pricing so I think they were BS'ing me again. I can't find any steel wheels for the Stinger due to the huge brakes so I'm stuck with staggered winters as well. They're acting like me keeping the summers is a great thing when I know the only reason that's on the table is they can't use them due to them having a couple hundred miles on them.
You can go with 18" wheels all around.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I'm sorry to hear that you had too deal with a shitty dealership, but like I said it sounds like they just want your money an as soon as they got it you didn't matter anymore. They just want to get more money out of you for those tires. Here in Arizona we have a News crew that is called 3 on your side, and if you have a problem with a company or business that is doing you wrong, you call them and they put them on blast all over the News. Companies don't want to be on the new for anything negative. The majority of the time the company takes care of what ever the problem was for free. I don't know if you have anything like that where you live but it's something to look into, you never know if it works you mite get tires and a lot of ass kissing from them or if you have had your car less then I think 20 days you can take it back an tell they to stick it up their ass. That's my opinion...…...

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
Same here. I specifically asked and my sales guy basically tried to make me feel stupid for even considering summer tires weren't amazing in the freezing ice conditions. He even brought out his lot attendant to back him up and laugh at me for thinking otherwise.

I ordered winter/wheels/tires one month ago. My 'centric-rings just arrived last night. Everyone kept trying to convince me I didn't need the rings. They kept trying to convince me to let them mount my wheels for me. One guy tried to sell me the wrong size rings, plastic ones, for 5 times their retail value. It's been a battle, and we had a snow storm last night.

When I finally got the wheels/tires. they didn't give me the rings, that was a week ago. During that time, I lost control while braking and hit a curb. The front wheel bounced over, and luckily didn't damage the rim enough to unseat the tire, but it's damaged. I probably altered my alignment too. I got into a minor ice/snow accident, with four winter tires sitting in my garage, waiting on the 'rings. Urgh.