Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

For anyone with the smart tailgate option: Do you find it's more trouble than it's worth?

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I've used this setting for the 8 months I've had the car, but I'm starting to find it more and more frustrating and thinking of turning it off. Whether it's cleaning the car, shoveling snow behind it, or simply starting a conversation with someone, you just can't stay behind the car with the keys in your pocket. And then it's easy to forget the keys when you put them in the car or somewhere else when you're cleaning or shoveling. I like this setting for when I carry bags to the car, but I think the cons outweigh the pros here. Does anyone else feel this way and wish it was triggered with a foot sensor instead?

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
The Stinger is the first car I've own with a powered tailgate and I thoroughly enjoy it. It would be difficult for me to switch back[:I]

OP
S
Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #3
Yeah I love that it's powered, but I'm talking about the setting to have it automatically open after a few seconds of standing behind it. I find you often have to be conscious about it or it's going to open when you don't want it to.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Yeah I love that it's powered, but I'm talking about the setting to have it automatically open after a few seconds of standing behind it. I find you often have to be conscious about it or it's going to open when you don't want it to.
Yeah I knew what you meant. For me the trade off is worth having the powered tailgate.

Reactions
State
AR
Country
United States
I prefer it the way Kia has it, I've never had good luck with those foot sensor release features. Either I stand too far back or get too close and burn my legs on the exhaust tips lol.

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I think it works well. I agree that the foot swipe option can be hit or miss.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
This is just my opinion, but car builders today are making consumers lazy. I don't see anything wrong with opening your hatch manually or closing it. How about lane assist, people don't even have to concentrate on staying in their lane anymore because the car does it for they. Remember driving and operating your car is suppose to be an experience for you not the car. All that extra tech in the car is more money you have to shell out when it goes wrong. Remember this is just my opinion so if I offended anybody, I apologize.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Its a bit annoying. I have it off right now. I think the best option would be to have an option on the keyfob to enable or disable it. Going through all the setting to turn it on and off again is a bit lengthy so it just stays off for me.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I like it and it works well for me.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I've gotten used to it, had some mishaps with the tailgate opening during car washes but now I put the FOB in the garage.[facepalm]

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I just leave it inside the car, when I wash it.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
The smart function will only work if the car is LOCKED and if you've been away for 15 seconds. I'm not 100% sure why it would be locked while you're washing it. LOL Also, you can always simply hit the unlock button on the door and then it won't function.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
The smart function will only work if the car is LOCKED and if you've been away for 15 seconds. I'm not 100% sure why it would be locked while you're washing it. LOL Also, you can always simply hit the unlock button on the door and then it won't function.
I normally wash my car in the driveway without unlocking it until I'm ready to dry it.

OP
S
Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #14
Thanks, that's a good tip. Don't know why I hadn't thought of that lol