Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

anyone else slip/slide on tar strips in rain with the Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS-02 all-seasons?

sodo

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
Just wondering if anyone else experienced sliding in the wet weather on lengthy tar strips with the All-Season Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS-02 18"s. I've noticed this on my GT2 and it does make me a bit nervous if I'm cornering and the car slides a bit when those strips are wet.
-sodo

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
Same here. Next year I'm picking up a set of winter tires.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Just wondering if anyone else experienced sliding in the wet weather on lengthy tar strips with the All-Season Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS-02 18"s. I've noticed this on my GT2 and it does make me a bit nervous if I'm cornering and the car slides a bit when those strips are wet.
-sodo
If it snows a lot where you live I wouldn't run the all seasons year around. Get some Michelin Alpins.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
My Stinger didn't come with those Bridgestone tires (it has the Michelin Pilot 4). I have no experience with them, but I can imagine the asphalt sealer being slick when wet. Road markers are usually more slick than a typical road surface and they have embedded sand to improve traction and they're still slick. It is possible that the asphalt sealer strips are a low point and create a water puddle that induces mild hydroplaning at various speed levels depending on tread depth and depth of water puddle.

OP
S

sodo

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
Thread Starter #5
+Turboit: thanks for the confirm, lemme know what shoes you end up buying. :)

+Snowman: I'm in Jersey near NYC, so we don't get a ton of snow over the winter. Actually, the tires have performed adequately in the couple of snows that we have had thus far. I felt sorry for the Mustangs that I saw disabled on the side of a slight incline ramp to the parkway. Have AWD sure saved me. But I will consider the Alpine's, thank you.

+POS VETT: I used to run Michelin Pilot's on my old Cadillac CTS and never had any issues with the slipping/sliding on the strips like I do with the Potenza's. I'll probably just run the Potenza's through their rated lifespan and then go back to the tried/true Pilots. The slipping is just odd and a bit disconcerting.