Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia Stinger Drive Mode Changer Test

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
[video=youtube;AXLhZXhgksc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXLhZXhgksc&fbclid=IwAR3T0RWgad0q3N1f5qtXkyr6iTjIaM1ltIS93UNysfneJiEYMo5pZJ_YeQQ[/video]
[video=youtube;Je9AhRQfQtQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je9AhRQfQtQ&fbclid=IwAR22Cg7DMChHgRVP3ZyUEykzr8pq-mi_9Bx4fe2GikZSEBCAQG5J5lMfG4E[/video]

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
I wish there was some software like Ross Tech has for VW that would allow us to get in there through the OBD 2 port and make some tweaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Excellent idea. Anything else that can be added to manipulate? This will be awesome if it could also control the seats (heat/ventilation) for remote start applications.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT1

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Interesting if there is a "hidden" Sport + mode.[hihi]

MrMr

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I can see a lot of future potential with this.

drdrewusaf

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

I'm the "creator" of this little nugget. I want to make it clear that this is still a prototype, and some fabrication still needs to be completed. Also, it is not at all a smart device...clever maybe. There is no feedback from the car, and no data communications. Think of it like a robot that is flipping switches for you.

I just did a semi-permanent install last night, so I'll have a new video up explaining how it works. Also, I'll do a full write-up once it's worked for a few days.

Drew

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
[MENTION=2073]drdrewusaf[/MENTION] excellent initiative. Any plans on expanding its capabilities?

P.S Welcome aboard. Any photos of the test mule? [biggrin]

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Hi everyone!

I'm the "creator" of this little nugget. I want to make it clear that this is still a prototype, and some fabrication still needs to be completed. Also, it is not at all a smart device...clever maybe. There is no feedback from the car, and no data communications. Think of it like a robot that is flipping switches for you.

I just did a semi-permanent install last night, so I'll have a new video up explaining how it works. Also, I'll do a full write-up once it's worked for a few days.

Drew
You're my hero for testing this out.[pray]

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Welcome fellow Texan.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

Drew
Thanks Drew. Have you come across any software or have you thought of creating any software similar to what Ross-Tech has for VW and Audi vehicles? www.ross-tech.com?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drdrewusaf

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
[MENTION=2073]drdrewusaf[/MENTION] excellent initiative. Any plans on expanding its capabilities?

P.S Welcome aboard. Any photos of the test mule? [biggrin]
Thanks! I haven't really thought about expansion. One person in one of the FB groups asked to add the Auto Hold feature to it. It's very doable, and extremely easy. However, the board I have is running out of RAM with the current program. It's not a very robust board. There is a board from Adafruit that can handle the extra code, but at that point I feel like it would be better to start custom fabrication of the main Arduino board. I bought this stuff because it works out of the box. I'll put some photos of the test mule below...

Thanks Drew. Have you come across any software or have you thought of creating any software similar to what Ross-Tech has for VW and Audi vehicles? www.ross-tech.com?
I'm very familiar with VAGCOM (was an Audi driver for 10 yrs). I've been looking, but all I can find are legit $2K+ GDS VCI tools, or super-sketch $200 GDS VCI tools. I don't think Kia uses a robust network for their modules like VW does with VAGCOM. So, I think GDS VCI is our only option. Along those lines, I know a lot, but I'm not an electrical engineer...so unraveling how Kia's CANbus/ODB network communicates is outside of my expertise.

That's not to say that I won't get one of the super-sketch GDS VCI tools, though. I'm still interested to find out what they are capable of...and I'm relatively certain that getting ahold of "clandestine" software for the tool is easy with the right connections in Eastern-block European countries.

Drew

drdrewusaf

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Here's an update:

[video=youtube;eeG5R4FwvuE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeG5R4FwvuE[/video]

Again, all code and parts are linked in the video description.

Drew

MrMr

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Hi everyone!

Drew
Welcome, great to have you here.[wave]

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Here's an update:

[video=youtube;eeG5R4FwvuE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeG5R4FwvuE[/video]

Again, all code and parts are linked in the video description.

Drew
Great video.

I can imagine this being perfect controlling exhaust valves through the mode setting.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
[MENTION=2073]drdrewusaf[/MENTION] Thank you for the more indepth explanation. I hope we can expand its usability, this is a great tool that could be used to control many features on the car.
[MENTION=190]Kale808[/MENTION] That is a great idea too. Is that a possibility [MENTION=2073]drdrewusaf[/MENTION]?

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Awesome job [MENTION=2073]drdrewusaf[/MENTION]

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
[MENTION=2073]drdrewusaf[/MENTION] Thank you for the more indepth explanation. I hope we can expand its usability, this is a great tool that could be used to control many features on the car.
[MENTION=190]Kale808[/MENTION] That is a great idea too. Is that a possibility [MENTION=2073]drdrewusaf[/MENTION]?
It's doable to expand, though w/o communicating on CAN bus, I'm not sure how limited this is.

For EVC exhaust systems, this could control them through relays, rather than transistors.

Again, RAM is an issue with this board. So adding the extra code will no doubt stop any progression of extra features for now. I have updated the code on the Pastebin to be more efficient for RAM, but we'd still need a few more bytes to add another feature.

Drew

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Quick update...

New parts have arrived. I have a new mainboard with more RAM and IO. Should be able to control up to 6 things in the car now. I received some feedback to have it change auto-hold, and thought that someone out there might want it to change traction control. Those are options, but I haven't written the code yet.

Also, a new daughter board that has all of the transistors on it. Originally, I used a large bread board. The daughter board is way more compact, allows for stacking with the other boards (for packaging in a case later), and it has a removable plug on it. That means you can simply unplug it for dealer visits.

In the coming weeks, a 3D printed case should be on its way.

Finally, if anyone has a contact in Korea that can get parts from a Korean parts manufacturer, that would be awesome. To make this thing plug and play, I need KM025B series connectors from the company Hirose. Those are the connectors that Kia used to build part (the part that is important to this) of the wiring harness.

Drew