Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Who tops off their fuel tank and is it bad for the Stinger?

Who tops off their fuel tank and is it bad for the Stinger?

• Yes

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
My brother gave me a hard time when I topped off my tank today, he also said it's not good for the car and can damage the charcoal canister. Anyone else do this?[rofl]

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
I normally just do an extra click

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I always top off my fuel tank. I do it with all my cars, never had an issue.

Warrant11

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 AWD
I've noticed when the pump stops my needle is not even all the way on full. I've given it a couple of clicks over, and the needle is off full within a few miles. I've gone well beyond the inital pump stop the last two fill-ups, and it takes nearly 40 miles for the needle to move off full. I don't like filling the tank up for it to be on 3/4 tank soon thereafter. BTW, I'm getting about 20mpg so far with about 2,500 miles on the car.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
My brother gave me a hard time when I topped off my tank today, he also said it's not good for the car and can damage the charcoal canister. Anyone else do this?[rofl]
I do and I mostly use a fuel container instead of a fuel station. When topping off at a fuel station, I'd be more concerned about excess fuel (that I already paid) captured by the pump stage II vapor recovery system. In order to avoid that, I engage the pump to dispense slowly (somewhat difficult to perform) and the nozzle spout is pulled back enough so I can monitor the flow and the level. It's tricky and it requires much longer time since the flow rate is very slow to avoid a spill.

I practice this on nearly every filling on my cars for the last decade or so; I have never encountered a negative result regarding the charcoal canister. I think damage to the charcoal canister is more about water collecting inside. I top off the tank on my Stinger several times , no negative effect so far.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I do NOT top off my tank. And YES it's bad for the evap/emissions system. Do NOT top off.

I believe it even says so in the manual?

HawaiiPD

Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
I have 900 miles on my 3.3 TT, and the MIL or check engine light came on after a gas fill up. I made sure the gas cap closed to one click only, disconnected the battery ground strap to reset the computer and the CEL went out and stays out.
I believe the warning on the gas cap to close to only one click is good advice.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I do it sometimes before long road trips

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
I do NOT top off my tank. And YES it's bad for the evap/emissions system. Do NOT top off.

I believe it even says so in the manual?
As I understand it, there is a vapor canister with a tube that runs to the fuel filler neck. It's for evaporative emissions. Getting fuel in that canister destroys it's function, triggers the warning light on the dash, and is very expensive to replace.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
Never had problem with damaged vapor canister (or a related DTC) in any of my cars over several years of the practice and I believe my methodology is even more extensive in packing fuel in than mentioned in this thread.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
If your vapor canister fails during warranty, don't expect Kia to fix it.

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
It's definitely a no no when it clicks you are done

celwin

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Infiniti
I never top it off. I add a specific dollar amount and stop. at most I'm at 3/4 tank