Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Took delivery of wrong optioned gt2 for lease

Coaster

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
Took delivery of wrong options car for lease

I took delivery of Stinger gt2 awd late at night with window sticker nicely tucked away in glove box by the service folks, which I thought was nice but it ended up causing me to miss something very important. Three days and 71 miles later, I noticed 19 inches wheels with summer tires so I stopped driving the car. I live in St. Louis with our usual doses of snow and ice so I forgot to confirm it was the 18 all season tires. In my color, the Dealer had 3 of the exact gt2 cars including options except one has 19 summer tires and the other 2 had 18 summer tires. I called my sales rep and mentioned that I considered this a major issue since the car is my daily driver to work and snow was forecast in the next 2 days. Sales rep said he would see what my options were and let me know. After a day of several calls and texts by me but no reply, I went to the dealer. Sales rep had not discussed the situation with sales manager or service manager until I got there So after waiting about an hour for their discussions, sales rep said they cannot just swap cars to one of the other two with all season tires since Kia corporate was sent the lease information already. After some discussion with the finance manager, I was told the best they could do is order all season tires for me, charge me their dealer cost for tires, and they would install the tires free. Then, I could take the summer tires home and keep or sell them. Thoughts anyone?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Congrats! Just be thankful you got the 19". The 18" are limited by a lower top speed.

If you plan on going aftermarket then there's no reason to keep the old other than if you want to swap it back before you sell it.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Sounds like a very reasonable solution. Keep the summer tires for this coming spring. IMHO

All posts are for entertainment, are my opinions and not meant to be acted upon. All photos are copyrighted and not for use by others, without express written consent by me.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I took delivery of Stinger gt2 awd late at night with window sticker nicely tucked away in glove box by the service folks, which I thought was nice but it ended up causing me to miss something very important. Three days and 71 miles later, I noticed 19 inches wheels with summer tires so I stopped driving the car. I live in St. Louis with our usual doses of snow and ice so I forgot to confirm it was the 18 all season tires. In my color, the Dealer had 3 of the exact gt2 cars including options except one has 19 summer tires and the other 2 had 18 summer tires. I called my sales rep and mentioned that I considered this a major issue since the car is my daily driver to work and snow was forecast in the next 2 days. Sales rep said he would see what my options were and let me know. After a day of several calls and texts by me but no reply, I went to the dealer. Sales rep had not discussed the situation with sales manager or service manager until I got there So after waiting about an hour for their discussions, sales rep said they cannot just swap cars to one of the other two with all season tires since Kia corporate was sent the lease information already. After some discussion with the finance manager, I was told the best they could do is order all season tires for me, charge me their dealer cost for tires, and they would install the tires free. Then, I could take the summer tires home and keep or sell them. Thoughts anyone?
Hey [MENTION=1239]Coaster[/MENTION], welcome to the family!

I'm a dealer up in the Quad Cities and also a moderator here on the forum.

We have a substantial amount of snow up here. I have the 19" Pilot Sport summer tires on my Stinger and it does surprisingly well. I would say, before you bite the bullet on all season tires, see how she fares. Leave that option on the table with them.

That was the salesman's fault. He wrote up and sold you the wrong Stinger.

Now, for the tires, I'm going to guess that you can find as good of a price or possibly better on TireRack or else where and get to pick what tire you'd like IF you choose to go with new tires. There's a chance that they'll try to mark up the tire price in order to cover them mounting them for free.

Again, congrats! I'm keeping my summer tires even up here.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Also, I merged the two different threads and cleaned it up. ;-)

AWD_GT2

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2019 GT2 AWD
Personally, I'd keep the car you have and not worry about that. I know that the higher speed limit on them is nice, but honestly you won't get to use that extra speed much.

However, I do have to say that you should not keep the summer tires on if you are expecting snow. They are not a safe tire in cold climates or in the snow, as the compound gets hard and there is little to clear snow from the tread area. At the very least, get a good set of all seasons, but I'd recommend winter tires if you have snow regularly.

I live in eastern Canada, and got my Stinger about 2 weeks ago. It came with 19" summer performance tires on it, but we hadn't had any major snow at that point. We had ordered the winter tire package for the car, and were waiting for the rims to come in. We had snow 2 days after we got the car. I drove it to get groceries, and didn't make it the 3.5km to the grocery store. The car was all over the road, and stopping distance was increased enough that I slid through the only stop sign in my community. Take in to consideration that I've lived in Canada, and through Canadian winters, all my life, and a large part of my job involves driving (and recovering vehicles that get stuck out of ditches). I turned around and took my Jeep to the store instead, and drove my wife to work for the days that we had to wait for the tires.

As has been mentioned though, you could find a set of nice aftermarket rims and some good winter tires for a good price online. Likely about the same as the dealership would charge you, maybe a little higher (depending on how honest your dealer is, they might mark the rims and tires up some to cover their costs for install). But then you have a lot more choices available.