Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

So I went to a car wash

tdoyon

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
I knew I shouldn't go to the car wash but rinsing the car just wasn't getting the salt off. Sure enough afterwards I found scratches and gouges in the back bumper and up onto the trunk/hatch. I've looked through most of my dash cam video for the past 3 days and there isn't anything to indicate anything happened anywhere else but the car wash. I know the damage wasn't there before as I put items in the trunk prior to the videos starting.

I left a voice mail on the car wash manager's line but I'm not exactly expecting a call back. Obviously I've just learned an expensive lesson.

Attachments

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Wow....i would be pissed. I imagine you’re way past that

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Holy crap, did they have sand paper for brushes?

OP
T

tdoyon

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #4
Actually I felt sick to my stomach. This is the nicest car I've ever owned and this just kills me.

Nevertheless, I calmly went back to discuss the damage with the employees at the car wash. Matt said that it couldn't possibly be from the car wash. It must be from a grocery bag. He didn't attempt to explain how the grocery bag also went around to the front bumper and nearly tore off the license plate up front (rear plate is also scratched up badly but, for obvious reasons, I'd rather not post those pictures online).

When I told him the damage wasn't there last Wednesday because, shocker, I had gone shopping and the damage wasn't there. And no accidents/dings/dents were recorded by the dash cam from Wednesday through today - this has to be the car wash.

He had several more excuses after that but I won't bore you with his unsubstantiated claims. Some people just make stuff up expecting that the burden is on the rest of the planet to prove that they aren't lying.

I'm taking her to a body shop on Tuesday for an estimate.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Wow man that sucks. Sorry to see a beautiful car messed up like that, again it reaffirms the need to wash yourself when I got the car I was thinking I would just keep going to car washes too but I changed my mind after reading the forums. I've had my car for month and I just waxed it yesterday with the Power lock plus and Colinite combo as suggested and I found a few scratches and rock chips very few mind you but I can't believe a car wash would do that much damage. I imagine all the other cars there would look like that too, maybe something was stuck on a brush or something. I never worried about brushes before I always worried about rims on those tracks personally but now after seeing this I'll make sure I don't get lazy and chance it. I heard some say the brush-less washes if you have to go is better. Either way let us know how much the body shop charges we may all end up there sooner or later with door dings rock chips etc.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Time to lawyer up

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Holy shit dude thats awful

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
That is insane. Not doubting you, but really hard to imagine that a car wash can cause that damage. Their brushes must be damaged/worn out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
T

tdoyon

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #9
That is insane. Not doubting you, but really hard to imagine that a car wash can cause that damage. Their brushes must be damaged/worn out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Oh no. I get where you are coming from. My first instinct was that something happened in a parking lot. But I don't drive much. I have blackvue with parking mode and pictures taken a few days earlier. And I don't remember seeing any damage to the rear bumper or plate. I certainly wouldn't have missed the front plate.

After spending over an hour going through days of fast forward rear cam video ... Nothing. Especially the event video which there isn't much of aside from the car wash which did register as an event.

What is the old Sherlock Holmes cliche? Whatever else is left must be the truth?

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What is the old Sherlock Holmes cliche? Whatever else is left must be the truth?
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
Ouch man, that's insane.

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
either hand wash or touchless from now on,,,,thats horrible definitely time to get a lawyer
[thumbdown]

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Dude that sucks...definitely use a touch-less car wash or just pay to hand wash.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
He will be better off paying for a "hand wash"
The touch-less car wash chemicals are harsh.