Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Anyone consider using run flats to save weight?

Reactions
State
MN
Country
United States
Most luxury cars these days use run flats to avoid putting a spare tire out back, anyone consider this when shopping for new tires?

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
Whoa whoa whoa, back up a bit.

In case you didn't know, a run-flat tire weighs substantially more than a regular tire. The weight of a spare tire assembly is, at least, a static and sprung weight. Four run-flat tires will introduce a very substantial increase in rotational moment of inertia and unsprung weight. A big no-no in performance and ride quality. The massive Brembo calipers and large rotors coupled with steel suspension arms and cast iron spindles/hub carriers are nightmare enough as far as unsprung weight goes. There is no need to add extra unsprung weight and extra rotational moment of inertia.

OP
E
Reactions
State
MN
Country
United States
Thread Starter #3

In case you didn't know, a run-flat tire weighs substantially more than a regular tire. The weight of a spare tire assembly is, at least, a static and sprung weight. Four run-flat tires will introduce a very substantial increase in rotational moment of inertia and unsprung weight. A big no-no in performance and ride quality. The massive Brembo calipers and large rotors coupled with steel suspension arms and cast iron spindles/hub carriers are nightmare enough as far as unsprung weight goes. There is no need to add extra unsprung weight and extra rotational moment of inertia.
I wasn't aware that run-flats weigh substantially more.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
I think having a spare is a huge bonus. My current car comes from the factory with run flats. The difference in ride quality between a regular tire and run flat is night and day. When I go on road trips I roll the dice that I don't get a flat, because I run regular tires and no spare.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2, 2004 MSM

exactly this. I would avoid run flats at all costs

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
The heavier your wheels and tires, the worse your car performs.