Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Stinger firmware update?

chchia

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Malaysia
Just wondering, is there any firmware update for the car? or the infotainment system? wondering can we download it on website? or through KIA service center?

on mines the infotainment system version is:

Attachments

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
It's done at the dealer

Jacques

Reactions
City
Saint Charles
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT1 AWD
I thought I'd bump this thread up. How do we know if we have the newest firmware? Does the dealer notify us, or Kia?

Reactions
i'm guessing it's up to us to determine what the newest firmware is. kia isn't going to volunteer that information.

maybe check out some of the latest production date cars at the local dealer and see.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
I thought I'd bump this thread up. How do we know if we have the newest firmware? Does the dealer notify us, or Kia?
You can request for it at your service appointment

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
i'm guessing it's up to us to determine what the newest firmware is. kia isn't going to volunteer that information.
Kia will send you a notice in the mail if your car needs a update, at least that's what I got when my Optima needed one. A lot of the times the info we find out on the forums doesn't find it's way to the dealership for a while.

Jacques

Reactions
City
Saint Charles
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT1 AWD
Kia will send you a notice in the mail if your car needs a update, at least that's what I got when my Optima needed one. A lot of the times the info we find out on the forums doesn't find it's way to the dealership for a while.
Same, I did get a notification from Kia when I had my Optima on a firmware update. I'd think though at this day and age you could simply do an OTA update. I thought on my wife's Sorento there was a wifi connectivity feature, and I could've sworn she got an update that way.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Infotainment and map updates are done at home by replacing the SD card in the dash. But, the OE charges for the update. Kia will give one free upgrade to each Kia owner via the concierge support line, but not all the operators know about the program.
https://www.kia-gpsmap.us/map-updates/stinger-map-update.html

Firmware on other computers are dealer only. Owners are seldom notified unless it's really important. Just keep an eye out for TSBs or other notes.

OTA updates are evolving. Tesla does it. There's tons of issues with that (reliability #1), so the OEMs are moving slowly. I bet it'll be more common in another 10 years.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thanks for the info
Infotainment and map updates are done at home by replacing the SD card in the dash. But, the OE charges for the update. Kia will give one free upgrade to each Kia owner via the concierge support line, but not all the operators know about the program.
https://www.kia-gpsmap.us/map-updates/stinger-map-update.html

Firmware on other computers are dealer only. Owners are seldom notified unless it's really important. Just keep an eye out for TSBs or other notes.

OTA updates are evolving. Tesla does it. There's tons of issues with that (reliability #1), so the OEMs are moving slowly. I bet it'll be more common in another 10 years.

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
OTA updates also introduce a vulnerability (door for hackers).