Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

The New Toyota Supra get's BMW's 2.0-liter turbo producing 262 horsepower

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Anyone considering the new Supra? Thought this might interest a few people since we're all car guys.[hihi]

Toyota has released global specs on the new Supra, confirming that a four-cylinder will be offered in other markets. As we reported before, it's BMW's turbocharged 2.0-liter B48 engine. In what Toyota dubs the Supra SZ, the engine in its lower state of tune makes 194 hp and 236 lb-ft of torque, while the Supra SZ-R's version of the turbo four makes 255 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque-the same as in the Z4 30i, which is coming to the U.S. Toyota says that the four-cylinder Supra won't be offered on our shores for at least the first few years of its run here, although we wouldn't rule it out entirely.

It’s been confirmed for some time now that the Toyota Supra will be powered by a turbocharged inline-six, an engine that fits neatly within the Supra lineage-never mind the fact that it’s sourced from BMW, which will get a new Z4 from the same architecture. Now, a new report from Road & Track suggests that Toyota’s new sports car additionally will offer a cheaper four-cylinder variant with a 2.0-liter turbo four that also comes from Bavaria.

The intel comes from an internal document from the transmission supplier ZF, which enumerates various powertrain details for the new Supra, code-named A90. It shows that BMW’s ubiquitous B48 turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four will be found in the Toyota, producing 262 horsepower. It’ll be paired with ZF’s 8HP eight-speed automatic transmission, the one found in myriad automotive applications; the same transmission will be offered on the six-cylinder Supra, which uses a 335-hp version of BMW’s B58 3.0-liter turbo six. Supra chief engineer Tetsuya Tada also confirmed the four-cylinder option to R&T, saying it will be less expensive than the six, naturally.

We’re still not sure whether or not the new Supra will eventually offer a manual transmission in addition to the ZF auto. Various rumors have swirled about this crucial piece of equipment, but since the manual likely wouldn’t be made by ZF, these documents don’t shed any more light. We’ll hold out hope, although the fact that the Z4 roadster will exclusively use the ZF automatic with essentially the same engines doesn’t bode well-or Toyota could scoop BMW and be the only ones to offer a manual on this platform in the U.S.

See more of our coverage of the new 2020 Toyota Supra including information on pricing and trim levels and details about the first 1500 cars that are designated as Launch Edition models.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Dunno enough about the B48, but this is depressing. A 2.0L? Ugh.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
I would definitely opt for the six-cylinder Supra.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
I like it, I just don't think it is worthy of the supra name, probably celica would have been better. I would definitely pimp one of I could.

OP
Chi-Guy
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Thread Starter #5
I like it, I just don't think it is worthy of the supra name, probably celica would have been better. I would definitely pimp one of I could.
True, but thankfully the BMWs v6 is very tunable