Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Stinger GT2 - Climate is Off & Set to Re-circulation, auto changes to fresh air

Reactions
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
KIA Stinger GT2 2018
Hi all,

I've had this issue since I purchased the car in March.

The climate system is set to off, and I push the Recirc button to avoid outside air coming in. A few minutes later or at some point during my drive I notice the system automatically switched to fresh air mode (the climate system is still off).

The issue here is simply that the climate is auto switching from recirc to fresh air.

NOTE: I have seen during the summer when the climate system would automatically turn on to reduce humidity and when this happened it would show the alert on the dash screen but this is NOT the case for the issue described here.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Hi all,

I've had this issue since I purchased the car in March.

The climate system is set to off, and I push the Recirc button to avoid outside air coming in. A few minutes later or at some point during my drive I notice the system automatically switched to fresh air mode (the climate system is still off).

The issue here is simply that the climate is auto switching from recirc to fresh air.

NOTE: I have seen during the summer when the climate system would automatically turn on to reduce humidity and when this happened it would show the alert on the dash screen but this is NOT the case for the issue described here.

Has anyone else noticed this?
I have noticed the same thing but I think it happens because you set it to Auto. Try taking it off the Auto setting and see if it still does it. I read the manual there are several things to do to take it off that mode as I think you can turn it off. When I have it off of Auto it seems to stay put but as soon as I hit auto it will flip between outside and inside air.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Hey there guys! Happy Monday.

The "issue" you speak of is actually a feature that is 100% controllable called Smart Ventilation. Here's how to turn the system off so that it stops adjusting:

-Push the CLIMATE button on your dash
-Push the SETTINGS button in the top right
-Tap and disable the SMART VENT feature

Done! LOL

OP
C
Reactions
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
KIA Stinger GT2 2018
Thread Starter #4
I have noticed the same thing but I think it happens because you set it to Auto. Try taking it off the Auto setting and see if it still does it. I read the manual there are several things to do to take it off that mode as I think you can turn it off. When I have it off of Auto it seems to stay put but as soon as I hit auto it will flip between outside and inside air.
This has nothing to do with "Auto" in my case because as I've said the climate system is turned off.

The "issue" you speak of is actually a feature that is 100% controllable called Smart Ventilation. Here's how to turn the system off so that it stops adjusting:

Done! LOL

I'll give that a try however, if it was smart ventilation I would get a notification just like I did in the summer when this feature was activated. I doubt very much this has to do with the issue I described. In fact on one of the other Stinger forums it was said nothing can be done about this and is a problem on Optima's as well.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2

Done! LOL
Thanks, I knew I read that when I went through the manual but I couldn't remember the details. I would think this would fix the issue.

So is it my imagination that when I don't have it in Auto it doesn't seem to move or is it activated by the Auto climate settings?

Haven't had it that long and when driving I tend not to stare at the climate controls LOL

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I have seen this on my car. A brief notification pops up at the top of the center console screen. It is just a momentary thin white alert.

I have seen it happen when I have previously had the air set to recirculate and then shut the system OFF when I park. Minutes after restarting and driving the car, it automatically switches back to outside air with the system still OFF.

I assume it is part of the Smart Ventilation system.

All posts are for entertainment, are my opinions and not meant to be acted upon. All photos are copyrighted and not for use by others, without express written consent by me.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
This has nothing to do with "Auto" in my case because as I've said the climate system is turned off.

I'll give that a try however, if it was smart ventilation I would get a notification just like I did in the summer when this feature was activated. I doubt very much this has to do with the issue I described. In fact on one of the other Stinger forums it was said nothing can be done about this and is a problem on Optima's as well.
So, you will NOT get a notification when the system is OFF unless you have the screen on the CLIMATE screen at the time. You WILL get a notification when the car is set to AUTO as it will flip to AUTO DEFROST which is specifically for keeping the windshield clear. The Smart Vent is just trying to keep the air circulated within the car.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
In addition to cancelling smart vent, you can cancel auto ventilation and auto defogging too and that should help you:

Attachments

Reactions
City
Aurora
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT1

Done! LOL
Hello,
I just leased a 2020 GT1 last week, and whether my Smart Ventilation is checked or not checked, my recirculate button will move over the the fresh air button on its own in about 5 minutes or so.