Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

What torque wrench to choose?

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger 2.0T AWD
Looking for a new torque wrench...need some ideas/feedback.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
I use a Sears brand that has a max torque rating of 150 ft-lbs and it has a 1/2" drive. It clicks when reaching a set limit. I also have a smaller one with a 3/8" drive and it has a more accurate in-lb increment.

What is your intended usage of this torque wrench?

OP
RockyJodr124
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
I use a Sears brand that has a max torque rating of 150 ft-lbs and it has a 1/2" drive. It clicks when reaching a set limit. I also have a smaller one with a 3/8" drive and it has a more accurate in-lb increment.

What is your intended usage of this torque wrench?
Mainly for wheels.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
One with a 150 ft-lb rating would suffice and because it's only for lug nuts, there is no need to pay extra for very high accuracy.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Harbor freight. Got mine from there, it’s pretty awesome. I love it

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Craftsman makes really good wrench.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Focus ST(Stinger GT1 soon)
Harbor freight. Got mine from there, it’s pretty awesome. I love it
To add to this the harbor freight ones are actually really good(especially for the price) and they have been tested against snapon torque wrenches and torque nearly identical(within 0.1 ft-lb, at least from memory may have been a tad higher).

Just make sure to always unset(too tired to think of a better term lol) after use so as to prevent loss of accuracy due to storing a spring in compression for long periods. Doing do will prolong the life of the wrench (keep it within spec).

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
+2 on Harbor Freight, especially if you're just using it for wheels and such. The more expensive ones are a bit nicer to use - whoever designed HF's locking mechanism should be banned from tool design - but that doesn't particularly matter for occasional use. The current Craftsman wrenches have a terrible handle design too.
I use my 14 yr old Craftsman for engine assembly (details are a bit more important there) but I still set it using a digital strain gauge which are hilariously cheap and accurate.

OP
RockyJodr124
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #9
Thank you everyone for the advice. I just picked one up from Harbor freight. $20 was just too good of a deal.[clap]

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
+2 on Harbor Freight, whoever designed HF's locking mechanism should be banned from tool design - but that doesn't particularly matter for occasional use.
I ran out and bought the Harbor Freight, because it was only $20, but turned right around and returned it (I didn't open the box to check it out before buying it). That little screw to lock the setting kept binding and tightening by itself and I could foresee it being annoying.

I ordered a Precision Instruments PREC3FR250F that you can leave at its setting - you don't have to zero it out after every use. It's a good one and the price wasn't too bad. P.I. is who makes the them for Snap-On. Made in USA. https://thetorquehub.com/precision-instruments-prec3fr250f-torque-wrench/

P.I.PREC3FR250F.jpg

Hapa88

Reactions
State
AZ
What I Drive
2019 GT1
I have the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh 1/2" Drive torque wrench. Actually I own 3 of them since they're so inexpensive and keep one in the car.

You can find coupons to get them for $10 fairly often and they come with a plastic protective case. They're excellent for mild to moderate use, and especially for torquing down lug nuts.